ECU Remap = Blown HeadGasket ???

red_eye5

TDI
Passat TDI Sport , 2001, Blue
Hi,

I have a 2001 model Passat 1.9 TDi Sport with 130K. I got a the ECU remapped last summer.

I noticed a few months ago I was losing coolant. No visible leak and it was'nt losing it from the exhaust either. Was not overheating or building pressure in the radiator pipes. There was no oil/water mixture either. Got worse recently and I had to refill the tank once a week. (I do about 500 miles a week). Changed the coolant cap as I know these go after a while. No luck. Then I was told the water pump was leaking so a timing belt change was due and I got water pump changed and new radiator (which I was told was weak).

Still had the same problem so I was told it may be a dodgy thermostat which I had changed. Since then the car has started to build pressure in both the pipes that come out of the radiator and I can see the water leaking now from the overflow on the coolant tank. Now the mechanic tells me that the headgasket is blown and its all down the ECU remapp I had done.

Has anyone had a similair experience i.e. remapped ecu and had problem with the headgasket? Appreciate your thoughts / comments.

Thanks

clove911

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, blue
Your head gasket might have blown due to it being old and not holding the extra pressure on it, you might also look into getting the ARP head studs if you change the head gasket. The tune itself will not have blown the head gasket, it was probably on its way out befoer the tune

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I'd have to agree, your remap probably had nothing to do with it. As evidence from the other things your mechanics did he probably isn't a very good mechanic either.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
I would order up a set of ARP head studs, do a search for the thread detailing these, and I would find another mechanic to install these and possibly a new head gasket. This should cure what ails you and allow you to enjoy everything your tune was meant to be.

red_eye5

TDI
Would it be advisable to set the ecu back to the original map once the headgasket has been done to avoid any further "premature" issues arising ? Although i found the car to be a much better drive with the remap and greater fuel economy ...

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I wouldn't bother flashing it back to stock. It is highly unlikely the remap would result in any damage.

red_eye5

TDI
Anyone know where i can get a set of arp headbolts in the the UK ? I have tried a few people but no luck ... is there an alternative make/brand in the UK that anyone know of ?.. if i had to use a new set of standard vw headbolts would these not be adequate ?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Factory bolts work fine, infact some may argue, better. Many of the vendors here sell these bolts, but in he UK they are also available.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
I'd say go with what you can get, factory or ARP, new gasket, retain tune, and make sure everything else is up to snuff.

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
You definitely want to make sure the head is still straight. It wouldn't hurt to also have it checked for cracks.

red_eye5

TDI
The head has been taken off and for sure the gasket had failed in a few places around the edges of 2 chambers. It is going to be pressure tested to ensure there are no cracks/leaks and also ensure that it is straight. I will probably go with a standard set of headbolts hopefully should do the job.

:mad:
On another note the design on some components on VW sucks .. e.g. my intercooler pipe had to be replaced as the bit that holds the pipe to the intercooler had worn away. Audi have addressed this issue and use a simple hoseclip to hold this pipe on but you cannot do this on vw due to the way a lot the pipes are designed with the clips to hold them in place. Same goes for the bottom turbo pipe which the guy at VW told me that if it fails again they will replace that pipe free ... well it wont faill now cos you have addressed the issue and fixed it ...

:mad: :mad:

Drains on passats are crap in the battery compartment. They flood in sunny england with the masses of rain we get and you get water in the foot wells if the drains are blocked.

Vaccum pump failed on my car a few months ago and had to be replaced the part cost £300 alone .. One of the pipe on the pump had come away from the pump ..

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Has anyone else had these issues or have I just got a bad car out the bunch ..

Thanks

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
There was something about the places that the drain empty that causes the grief with the roof drains, especially ones with moonroofs. Two are in the door and another couple empty into the channel at the trunk, if I remember right. they can trap a variety of goo. But I've never heard of the battery box causing what you mention.

OMG!! the vacuum pump I could have sent you from the states and been cheaper!. The vacuum pump is very reliable. Don't know what happened, but they surely aren't 300 quid.

You need to find some better sources...