rip off

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Pretty vague post. Sure wasn't just a serp for that. What's the invoice say. If you don't give details why bother to post.

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
irish said:
went to cederbrae vw to replace a serpintine belt which broke they charged me 500 dollars ok
Their price is unreasonable.
Asked them about the gas cap, $20CAD+tax, and they did not have it in stock.
Then I went to Don Valley VW, they only charged $10.40CAD+tax.
I know different dealers have different price, but it was too big.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bastards at Barrie Autohaus charged me $22 for a gas cap.....and I was stupid enough to pay for it...

I thought all the dealers would atleast be the same price on OEM stuff...

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
LNXGUY said:
Bastards at Barrie Autohaus charged me $22 for a gas cap.....and I was stupid enough to pay for it...

I thought all the dealers would atleast be the same price on OEM stuff...
That's too much, you did double pay for the gas cap.
The reason why I changed the gas cap is when I opened the fuel gate, a HONDA gas cap showed off,lol.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
Link977 said:
That's too much, you did double pay for the gas cap.
The reason why I changed the gas cap is when I opened the fuel gate, a HONDA gas cap showed off,lol.

since I am in parts business I should let you know that there are 2 different types of gas caps. The original is expensive the aftermarket one is cheaper. Even dealers are staring to sell aftermarket parts.

Link977

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Precisiontuning said:
since I am in parts business I should let you know that there are 2 different types of gas caps. The original is expensive the aftermarket one is cheaper. Even dealers are staring to sell aftermarket parts.
Thanks for the tips.
Before I get it, I did ask it is OEM or aftermarket.
The Don Valley VW is selling the OEM gas cap at $10.4CAD+tax.

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
they all call them OEM. If it comes in a box that has VW audi skoda logo then it is the real the thing otherwise it is aftermarket.

Ever since Ontario started the E testing VW dealers started to sell aftermarket gas caps.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
It's quite true, though that you have to call around a bit. A local VW dealer in Richmond Hill was going to charge $40 for hooking up the dealer computer to my car, while VW Villa was going to charge I think either $60 or $80 for the same thing. Dealers aren't that consistent with things...but parts prices should be the same. I've called around to a few dealers in the past, and normally prices are in check, no matter the dealer I call.

If you paid half as much, I'm guessing that you got an "OEM" gas cap, but in an unlabeled box. It's the same thing in the computer parts business. You can go to a computer store, and get a graphic card in an "OEM" box, or you can get the same thing in a white box for some savings.