PSA: $40 oil change @ dealer

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
So I was getting ready to do oil change on my '15 CPO.
Stopped by the dealer to get the filter - about $11.

Weather was nasty, was dreading getting under the car, so I asked about their price for oil change. They have $40 special running. Includes car wash :)

Now, just to get the filter and ~5.5+L of 507 oil from amazon etc, is ~ $70.
Less at IDparts, but still more than $40 :)

Outside of time required, seems to be a no brainer. Get a wash, record of service, someone will peek at the undercarriage etc.

Left the car + tip for the mech at the dealer. Asked NICELY to not optimize out :eek: any bolts that secure the plastic shield to the frame :) . Thats what happened to my '12 when it went in for 1st service.

Alas, doesnt seem like they'd top off the DEF for this price, but I can do it myself.

As long as they have that special , might use it for 20K services as well, but do the fuel, air and cabin filter myself, those require 0 effort.

And, did I mention I still had balance of $20-something with the dealer, from that $500 VW dieselgate dealer card :)

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The power of buying bulk oil, lets just hope they don't buy one drum for all engines and give you the flavor of the month.

I did the free first oil change last week, sticker they put on the windshield stated 5W30, i'm optimistic, but I'll change my own next time as it is more convenient for myself.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
doubt that includes the filter, pretty common for them to skip the filter- got a few friends in the field. They dump the oil, fill it with same 5w30 used in other gassers, if turbo blows more money for them

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
If you plan to change the oil yourself invest in an oil extractor. It’ll evacuate the oil in the time it takes to change the filter.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our local dealer is going to charge at least twice what is stated in the OP for an OC with 507.00 oil (they use the Castrol) and an OEM filter. Hard to see how they're making any money at $40– but maybe it's a loss leader for their service department.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
So I was getting ready to do oil change on my '15 CPO.
Stopped by the dealer to get the filter - about $11.

Weather was nasty, was dreading getting under the car, so I asked about their price for oil change. They have $40 special running. Includes car wash :)

Now, just to get the filter and ~5.5+L of 507 oil from amazon etc, is ~ $70.
Less at IDparts, but still more than $40 :)

Outside of time required, seems to be a no brainer. Get a wash, record of service, someone will peek at the undercarriage etc.

Left the car + tip for the mech at the dealer. Asked NICELY to not optimize out :eek: any bolts that secure the plastic shield to the frame :) . Thats what happened to my '12 when it went in for 1st service.

Alas, doesnt seem like they'd top off the DEF for this price, but I can do it myself.

As long as they have that special , might use it for 20K services as well, but do the fuel, air and cabin filter myself, those require 0 effort.

And, did I mention I still had balance of $20-something with the dealer, from that $500 VW dieselgate dealer card :)
This is what I did for the 40K on my 2015 Jetta piece of Cake and they did a fine job

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
if I could go back in time id dump the Castrol by 5k and refill with mobile 1 esp- just don't trust it after the huge "nms turbo fail thread" and Ram issued a TSB to drain the Pennzoil Euro 507 out of every ecodiesel on the lot and replace with big truck shell T6 as it protects the turbo and lower end better. Unless your engine is gulping down oil the emissions system wont even know a oz or two over 10k miles. I just used T6 in our NMS, a lot quieter on startup- no more ticky tick tick's

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
if I could go back in time id dump the Castrol by 5k and refill with mobile 1 esp- just don't trust it after the huge "nms turbo fail thread" and Ram issued a TSB to drain the Pennzoil Euro 507 out of every ecodiesel on the lot and replace with big truck shell T6 as it protects the turbo and lower end better. Unless your engine is gulping down oil the emissions system wont even know a oz or two over 10k miles. I just used T6 in our NMS, a lot quieter on startup- no more ticky tick tick's

Does your Passat still have the DPF? Been thinking about making the switch myself, as the rest of my TDI's use T6.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
yes it is, but I also have a complete delete kit ready to go- but ram uses it now and the eco diesel has both DPF and a SCR.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you plan to change the oil yourself invest in an oil extractor. It’ll evacuate the oil in the time it takes to change the filter.
On the '15s to change the oil filter, you gotta get under the car, IMO making an extractor only useful for those that have a phobia of touching oil and getting their hands dirty.