"Key Not In Range": Observation

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
2015 Passat. I get this error from time to time. There seemed to be no consistency to it until I finally made a simple observation: It only happens when I'm wearing regular jeans rather than "carpenter jeans" with the extra pocket.

Why?

Because I always carry my gun in my right pocket, and my key in the left. When I wear carpenter jeans my CELL PHONE goes in the extra pocket on the right. When I wear regular jeans it goes in the same pocket with my KEY, because I don't put anything in the pocket with the gun.

Remove cell phone: No more problem.

-mickey

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I also have this same problem, but nothing i have done fixes it. Cell phone goes in ashtray thingy, keys in left jeans pocket, no gun. I've got the error back to back 6 times in a day and i've gone weeks without getting it at all. Does it with either remote and both have new batteries. Maybe I need to buy a gun?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A well-placed bullet in the center console will relieve you of this problem's intermittency. ;)

Seriously though, numerous people have reported similar issues over the years without a resolution. It seems to be a KESSY feature.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
I just found it odd as in 80k miles, my 13 never did it once. Maybe it had antennas made on Wednesday instead of Monday. .

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Keys under cell phone while in the front pocket have given me the occasional key not in range msg.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
What’s strange about mine is I’ve never received the message when starting the car. It’s always while driving down the road. Sometimes after an hour of driving.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I only get this "key not in range" message when inside the car wash. I do not have a cell phone or gun so those are non-factors in my case.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My '14 had the antenna replaced under the rear seat,but the issue was intermittently not unlocking the doors then key not in range.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Only had that once and I definitely had the key in hand, I usually have the key fob clipped to a belt loop using a carabiner clip.

But I do get something else every once in a while where I have my foot on the brake and the car will not start. Then I reall jam my foot on the brake pedal ( DSG) and sometimes one or two more tries are needed.

bubh4

TDI
2015 PASSAT TDI SEL
I've experienced this by putting change in my pocket with the car keys.