Anybody get a Tekonsha 118646 trailer light converter to work?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
The patient is a '15 Golf S, plugged in to the taillight wiring as instructed and drawing 12V from the rear power plug. Best it can manage is incandescent tailights and sidemarkers, doesn't light the LEDs at all. No matter what I turn on- lights, 4 ways, brake pedal... All I get is 12v on all 3 power connectors of the 4 way plug. Methinks the converter is a dead short and that's the limit of it's abilities. Any ideas?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Wrong polarity, couldn't bring myself to ground a white wire. Apparently the white wire coming out of the unit is -12V and black is +12V. Switched the polarity and works fine!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
You weren't completely ignored. I actually checked my lighting module to see if it was the same as yours. It's not; so I remained silent (no useful info to share). It's possible that there aren't many (any?) others here that use that module.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The patient is a '15 Golf S, plugged in to the taillight wiring as instructed and drawing 12V from the rear power plug. Best it can manage is incandescent tailights and sidemarkers, doesn't light the LEDs at all. No matter what I turn on- lights, 4 ways, brake pedal... All I get is 12v on all 3 power connectors of the 4 way plug. Methinks the converter is a dead short and that's the limit of it's abilities. Any ideas?
Is this a wagon or sedan? If it's the wagon,you need to move the yellow and green wires on the plugs,there is a thread I just bumped to top by hazelnuuse that has some pics of what another member did and how he did it...