RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
finally updated my maps, it still sucks and won't take
street address that are all numbers, ie 13 st or us 301..
so here's the 64 million dollar question is there any way
to have google maps on my phone show up on the radio screen
fyi its a 2013 passat sel.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
You just described exactly what my brand new week old 2015 Passat did this morning. Exactly.
This is odd to me, in that neither of ours do this. I unlock, get in, and start within about 15 seconds. Radio audio is instant. In gear within the next 10 seconds, and backup cam within a few (2 to 3) seconds. Nav makes me wait for startup, but the rest is pretty much immediate. I can't help wonder what is different . . .

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Not unless you've got some magical way to shoehorn CarPlay into that RNS-510. We just use Google Maps and Waze on our iPhones. Next year, when we turn our TDI (same as yours) in, we'll likely end up with a new car that has CarPlay, so that one will be solved.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
Not unless you've got some magical way to shoehorn CarPlay into that RNS-510. We just use Google Maps and Waze on our iPhones. Next year, when we turn our TDI (same as yours) in, we'll likely end up with a new car that has CarPlay, so that one will be solved.
i figured that, thought i would ask anyways.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
With that 64 million dollars, but a tablet with data plan and tape it over the RNS510 and be happy.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
This is odd to me, in that neither of ours do this. I unlock, get in, and start within about 15 seconds. Radio audio is instant. In gear within the next 10 seconds, and backup cam within a few (2 to 3) seconds. Nav makes me wait for startup, but the rest is pretty much immediate. I can't help wonder what is different . . .

I wonder if the original poster was listening to music on the hard drive. The wife always has sirius on and when ever i've driven it while the Nav may be slow it still pops up the review camera with in 5-10 seconds of start up/placed in reverse, and is back to radio screen while driving down the driveway.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
This is just a stab in the dark. But have you tried entering thirteenth instead of 13 ?

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
This is just a stab in the dark. But have you tried entering thirteenth instead of 13 ?
sure have.
just for spits and giggles try typing in sapphire lake drive, anna maria island FL.
the street has been there for 6 years but our gps will not pull it up.
it's on google map along with garmin and tomtom but not on the rns510.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
That would be an issue with Navteq, who is one of (iirc) only two map sources for the US. VW/Continental has zero control over the content of the data, it's just it's marketing channel for data for the VW platform. To this end, I find that with similarly dated map data, my Garmin and the RNS have similar moments of 'senility' with regard to finding things . . .

Also, street addresses are not individually coded into the data . . . for a given street, a range of address numbers are overlayed linearly . . . IE, spread 1000 to 2000 over a mike or so, even though the physical address spacing is in reality uneven. This is done to get a reasonable data set size, and again, is common to all . . . and due to it (especially in rural areas) the GPS can get address placement wrong . . . and again, this is not fault of any particular unit! The only way to ensure hitting a specific point is enter specific lat/long coordinates, or memorize the point once there (thus remembering the lat/long).

Slowness and any UI issues are specifically VW/Continental . . . but a lot isn't . . .

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sure have.
just for spits and giggles try typing in sapphire lake drive, anna maria island FL.
the street has been there for 6 years but our gps will not pull it up.
it's on google map along with garmin and tomtom but not on the rns510.
Just for curiosity I tried your address in my 2797 stand alone Garmin. It does not come up with it either.

chrishatch1973

TDI
2011 Volkswagen CC VR6 4Motion Executive
We just purchased a 2011 VW CC 4Motion Executive with an RNS510.

Must be an older model because holding the "Setup" key does not produce a "Version Info" option.

How to tell which firmware and map version I am running?

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Must be an older model because holding the "Setup" key does not produce a "Version Info" option.
See this YouTube video and it should help you.

But don't get carried away by the first 15 seconds!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI

With a 2011 the latest firmware is 1140. You need to use VCDS to enable the secret menu.

nivey

TDI
Golf V
Hi Folks,
1st time poster!
I hope this is the correct thread..............

I have been having a lot of trouble with my RNS 510 recently where it often turns on but the screen and all buttons are not working (no sound etc also) the only thing I can do is hold the 3 buttons at the top ad reset, this usually fixes it after a couple of goes.
I have brought it to a dealer and they think there's nothing I can do with it (and maybe there isn't, but I want to try anyway!!)

I was thinking of trying to change the FW version, maybe a newer or possibly older one would help with it.

The version info is:
HW-Version - H02
SW-Version - 4120
Map version - 7918 (probably not important here!)

Do I need to get any other info?

Hopefully someone can let me know if they think there would be any point in trying a new FW, or if they have any other suggestions as to what they think the issue might be!

Thanks very much,

N

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Hi Folks,
1st time poster!
I have been having a lot of trouble with my RNS 510 recently where it often turns on but the screen and all buttons are not working (no sound etc also) the only thing I can do is hold the 3 buttons at the top ad reset, this usually fixes it after a couple of goes.
I have brought it to a dealer and they think there's nothing I can do with it (and maybe there isn't, but I want to try anyway!!)
I was thinking of trying to change the FW version, maybe a newer or possibly older one would help with it.
The version info is:
HW-Version - H02
SW-Version - 4120
Hopefully someone can let me know if they think there would be any point in trying a new FW, or if they have any other suggestions as to what they think the issue might be!
Thanks very much,
N
The Euro firmware’s are frequently updated. You can find them online. Check the part number of your radio too. https://www.my-gti.com/3868/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-download-repository

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Hi Folks,
1st time poster!
The version info is:
HW-Version - H02
SW-Version - 4120
Thanks very much,
N
On our 15 we have the following:
HW: H27
SW: 5382

nivey

TDI
Golf V
Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm sure this is already on here numerous times, but struggling to find it.....

How do I find the part number? Is it physically written on it? Or can I find it through the menu?

N

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The version info is:
HW-Version - H02
SW-Version - 4120
I am running FW 5378
Map code 8213
In my 2015 Passat

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5382 is the latest for yours and the maps are 8407.
I own TWO standalone Garmin Nuvis, an older 855 and a much newer 2797 (7" screen) which both have LIFETIME FREE map updates. This is often as 3 times a year.

The RNS-510 by comparison My Garmins have features the RNS-510 does not have including being much more difficult to manipulate. Incidentally the RNS-510 is Garmin based, but someone screwed it up along the way !

Do YOU think I'm going to spend US$ 125.00 or so to update this POS!!!

Last edited:

Deifka

TDI
Audi A2 1.4TDI
Hi guys,

May somebody can help me with FW4366. I need link for this FW.

Thank You in advance for help.

Regards,
Deifka

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
Not sure if this is the correct thread. RNS 510 in a 2014 Passat TDI SEL. Locked up last night, will not restart. Just shows the VW/Fender display. Will go dark occasionally and returns to startup screen. 95K current miles. Any suggestions? Disconnect battery and see if it clears or bite the bullet and take to dealership?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you tried to force a hard rest with the three button technique? (Procedure should be here somewhere . . . I can't recall the specific three, but but they are the ones to either end of the CD slot . . . kind of like forcing a hard reboot on a Win* box.)

Ripster

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI (sold), 2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2005 Cummins
Have you tried to force a hard rest with the three button technique? (Procedure should be here somewhere . . . I can't recall the specific three, but but they are the ones to either end of the CD slot . . . kind of like forcing a hard reboot on a Win* box.)
Thank you.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Hi Folks,
1st time poster!
The version info is:
HW-Version - H02
SW-Version - 4120
Thanks very much,
N

Hey, did you ever get this solved? my unit is doing the same, no sound, no button labels, no codes.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Hi! New member here. Apologies in advance if this has been covered, I couldn’t find it when I searched.
Picked up a 2015 Passat SEL Premium a few weeks ago. Very pleased with it so far but there is one major annoyance I’m trying to solve and any help would be appreciated.

Sound quality from the Fender system is better than expected, except when playing music from my phone, namely Bluetooth streaming. Sound seems to “chop” off the highs and lows, almost like a TV does when you have it in “nighttime” mode. FM broadcasts do not have this issue, nor does playing a DVD. Line in, Bluetooth audio both do. It’s like the system is throttling the audio stream to protect the amp/speakers. No previous car I’ve driven has this issue, including streaming with the same phone.

I’ve accessed the hidden menu and “Loudness” is not an option to deselect. Tried messing with all audio setting, including speed sensitive volume. I’m running HW H27, SW 5382. Maps are old at 8112. Phone used is iPhone 8+.

Is there something I’m missing? Or is this life with the RNS510? I can live with it if absolutely necessary but it’s very frustrating knowing there’s more potential from the system I can’t touch.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I own TWO standalone Garmin Nuvis, an older 855 and a much newer 2797 (7" screen) which both have LIFETIME FREE map updates. This is often as 3 times a year.

The RNS-510 by comparison My Garmins have features the RNS-510 does not have including being much more difficult to manipulate. Incidentally the RNS-510 is Garmin based, but someone screwed it up along the way !

Do YOU think I'm going to spend US$ 125.00 or so to update this POS!!!
I'm with you here. Have a few 6" TomTom standalones - have free lifetime traffic data and map updates. Map updates are quarterly. Color scheme on TomTom is totally customizable too which I've done via free third party program.

Can move TomTom between vehicles at will and better yet, take into house/hotel room and enter destinations for next day so I can just call them up as desired instead of entering them as I go. The TomTom is quick to start up and fast/easy to enter destinations into. TomTom can also search for nearby places like restaurants, stores and fueling stations - not sure if the RNS-510 has all that as I've never checked.

I like having the GPS side of the RNS-510 just in case I need to go somewhere unknown to me on very short notice with is a VERY rare occurrence. Usually I know if I'm going somewhere new/unfamiliar so can bring the TomTom.

Best part about my 6" TomTom units - cost me $70-77 each including shipping. Compare that (which includes traffic data and free map updates) to VW's $125 upgrade fee and one still needs to pay for traffic data on the RNS-510 if desired. Best bang for buck is standalone GPS!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
If cost is your only metric, true . . . . Some of us don't judge technology just on cost. To me, the integration on the RNS into the car makes me leave my Garmin in the other car every time . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.