Real World MPG with DSG

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I was recalling - - IIRC - - the DSG versus 6M highway fuel economy differential was linked to final drive ratio,.......................

Where has this sailor gone awry?

ez

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I have a favorite late night road trip loop that I like to do. I've done it with ALL my vehicles, multiple times. Cars, trucks and motorcycles. It's exactly 100 miles. It involves some 60 to 65 mph two-lane, several miles through a small town with some stoplights, a fun blast up a mountain two-lane and then descending the winding road down the other side, a 35 mile up-and-down but largely straight two-land, and finally a 20 mile blast on 80 mph interstate.

Sometimes I do it for fun. Other times for fuel economy. So I can compare and contrast.

My Evil Beetle never did better than 47 mpg on the loop. My 2015 Passat (DSG + Phase One reprogramming) did an astounding 55 mpg.

At 80 mph, dead level and zero wind, the instantaneous fuel economy reading hovers around 45 mpg.

I consider that more than adequate. Zero complaints here.

-mickey

p.s. When I hit a jackrabbit with the Evil Beetle on that loop the result was $800 in damage. I hit TWO of the little buggers with the Passat and didn't hurt the car a bit. Killed the bunnies deader then hell, though. So....WINNING. :)

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Our 2014 Passat SE TDI DSG had the fix a few weeks ago. First long trip, south east of Phoenix AZ to Reno NV. Filled up at home and than in Tonapah NV. 546 miles on odomiter, fill was 12.399 gallons at $2.33. calculated 44.035 miles per gallon. Quite a bit of the drive is hilly up 6200'.

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Road trip to Reno

Just got back home.
Our 2014 Passat SE TDI DSG had the fix a few weeks ago. First long trip, south east of Phoenix AZ to Reno NV. Filled up at home and than in Tonapah NV. 546 miles on odomiter, fill was 12.399 gallons at $2.399. calculated 44.035 miles per gallon. Quite a bit of the drive is hilly up 6200'.
From the fill up in Tonapah to Reno and running around in Reno and back to Tonapah. Fill up in Tonapah 552.7 miles, 13.043 gallons@$2.399 42.375 miles per gallon. Tonapah to home 539.3 miles, 11.977 gallons@$2.399 = 45.028 miles per gallon. TOTALS 1638.0 miles, 37.419 gallons diesel for an average of 43.77 miles per gallon.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Fuel mileage 2015 Passat SEL TDi NOS

2015 SEL TDI NOS w/ Phase one, 21,494 miles on car currently.
(Car was purchased new)
Trip:
From Los Osos, CA to Petaluma, CA:
Also includes trip to Bodega Bay and town driving.
Tank avg was 49.4
Speeds were 65-70.
Headwind on trip up, tailwind on trip back.(5-7 mph)
Trip Avg. (return trip)52.5
Total miles was 634.4 and used 14.516 gal. still had 3/16 of a tank left of fuel.
Actual tank mileage was 44.2(fuelly) By my calcs, this would have been an 800 mile tank. WOW
Time to get VCDS out!
In a few weeks I am scheduled for phase 2. Going to be interesting to see what it does to fuel mileage.

Last edited:

Dan C.

TDI
15 Passat SEL
been averaging 42-44 mpg per tank on my normal commute.

Did a road trip to CA this week. Came home today. 831.7 miles from filling up outside of Monterey. Refilled near home with 16.675 gallons.

Tried to keep it between 65-75, the car seems most happy around there.

knock on wood...pretty stoked.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
With my 2013 Passat TDI SE, after the Gen 2 fix, over the last year and a half I have seen 1-3 MPG decrease as compared to the pre-fix MPG. Now (December 2018) with winter fuel, seeing another 2-3 MPG decrease. Average highway economy at speeds 50-65, driving with a light foot is 47-50 MPG, before it was in the low to mid 50's with a top of 57 on summer fuel, 99 percent highway at 60 mph. It's rare that I break the 50 MPG barrier on a given trip of less than 50 miles. It used to happen routinely.

Tank to tank with a mix of city and highway I'm averaging ~ 43 mpg.

Dan C.

TDI
15 Passat SEL
The last 6,880 miles I've been averaging 41.64 based on tank fills, which I'll take being that is assorted driving, traffic jams to wide open spaces, gravel to nice new paved.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The last 6,880 miles I've been averaging 41.64 based on tank fills, which I'll take being that is assorted driving, traffic jams to wide open spaces, gravel to nice new paved.

That's about my average too since I bought the car. Mileage calculated manually and no 80 Mph + as many claim:confused: they do and get 70 Mpg.

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
Hello all!
Had the 2015 Passat DSG for about a year, gf drive it for work, gave it back to me last weekend and for the first time on my long commute from Disneyland to Fresno I got 49.8681808963699 average hand calculated. Super stoked, up the grapevine pulling at 73 cruise, never fell out of gear. Mostly 75MPH average.
I was thinking of going with the Kerma tune, not sure what you all suggest, I’d love to rip out anything that’s killing more potential mpgs.
Please chime in :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A tune won't help MPG unless DPF deleted, and really that only help on shorter commutes. If thats the case, Kerma doesn't sell what you want, look at Malone, they offer Eco tunes.

As you noted on your long highway run once the emissions system is up to operating temp (IM thats anything more than 30 miles) and you're cruising on the highway, stock emissions is not really that restrictive or MPG robbing. A few pints of fuel is consumed with active regens, but while running on the highway the emissions does passive regens.

If you were commuting less than 10 miles each trip the DPF and control systems dumps fuel way more to keep those emissions in check.

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
A tune won't help MPG unless DPF deleted, and really that only help on shorter commutes. If thats the case, Kerma doesn't sell what you want, look at Malone, they offer Eco tunes.

As you noted on your long highway run once the emissions system is up to operating temp (IM thats anything more than 30 miles) and you're cruising on the highway, stock emissions is not really that restrictive or MPG robbing. A few pints of fuel is consumed with active regens, but while running on the highway the emissions does passive regens.

If you were commuting less than 10 miles each trip the DPF and control systems dumps fuel way more to keep those emissions in check.

I would DPF DEL if she wasn’t under extended warranty. So I imagine Malone would be my best bet?

Thanks.

Joe.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It'll be the best future proof tune (same reason we went with malone over kerma), if a DPF delete is in the future of the car.

Big thing to be aware of is VW can tell if you tuned the car and can void that extended warranty, even if you tune it back to stock. Better go in with your eyes open that be surprised and angry after the fact.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I have a general question about DSG vs manual MPG. Does the manual consistently get that much better mileage? Or maybe a better question for this thread is, what's lifetime mileage for your car?

I've read through some of this thread (but there's so much to read and sort through) and the 6 speed thread but it still seems like answers vary. Some say the DSG can easily get 48-50, while others consistently get 40-42.

I know this question has too many variables. I wish you could sort by transmission on fuelly.

I love a manual, but my current commute has a good bit of stop and go. And with the prices on Passats right now, it's hard not to think about upgrading.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
My understanding is that (at least with the 12+13 MY cars) the final drive for the 6M was a little taller, resulting in fewer rpm at a given speed than with the DSG. This may account for some of the difference in mpg's people are reporting.

I know I struggle to achieve 40 in my 2012 DSG but I have a 25-mile round trip commute so the car doesn't get to stretch its legs much. On long trips I see higher numbers but never in the 48-50 range like some folks report. I think the terrain must have an effect (hills vs. dead flat).

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I have a general question about DSG vs manual MPG. Does the manual consistently get that much better mileage? Or maybe a better question for this thread is, what's lifetime mileage for your car?

I've read through some of this thread (but there's so much to read and sort through) and the 6 speed thread but it still seems like answers vary. Some say the DSG can easily get 48-50, while others consistently get 40-42.

I know this question has too many variables. I wish you could sort by transmission on fuelly.

I love a manual, but my current commute has a good bit of stop and go. And with the prices on Passats right now, it's hard not to think about upgrading.
In the city, the manual(as long as if there isn't a loose nut between the driver seat and steering wheel) will always get better fuel economy than the DSG. The DSG downshifts aggressively when you start to coast(good for your brakes, bad for fuel consumption). The highway fuel economy should be slightly better on the stick, but nothing drastic.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know I struggle to achieve 40 in my 2012 DSG but I have a 25-mile round trip commute so the car doesn't get to stretch its legs much. On long trips I see higher numbers but never in the 48-50 range like some folks report. I think the terrain must have an effect (hills vs. dead flat).

Since I've bought my 2015 with the DSG my average Mpg is around 40 Mpg US. I enter my distance driven and fuel used religiously into an App on my iPhone each and every fill-up.

When at home it's mostly flat terrain, but each fall and spring I drive through Kentucky and Tennessee and then quite some mountainous areas within Mexico. The only times I may hit 75-80 Mph is on a certain toll road otherwise my normal cruising speed is about 70 Mph.

I've said it before and I'll say it again all those dreamers doing 85-90 Mph and getting 60 Mpg are nuts! Just for giggles that would translate into 72 Mpg Imperial or under 4 Lph ! Duh?:rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think if comparing identical final gears of a '15 DSG vs MT curising on the same rd at the same speed, the MT will always win due to the less parasitic drag, there's cooling loop and hydraulic pumps running associated with the clutch packs of DSG, that's gotta suck a few watts and will lower the MPGs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Lot's of good answers but it's not really as simple as gear ratios and weight differences. You know from driving manuals and automatics, that driving a manual is a different mind set. With the manual, you tend to either put the clutch in or pop it out of gear and cruise into a stop light. More thought process to do that on an automatic, also not as quick to respond, if necessary. If traffic is heavier, you may let the car coast longer between gears while shifting. You can also choose when to upshift or downshift. At least on the ALH engines, that made a huge difference in mileage. My wife tended to shift at the top end like a gasser, and I tended to shift at the bottom end. Lots of little things that make a bigger difference in lifetime mpg.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Thanks for the responses. Mostly what I figured, DSG will tend to get worse, everything else equal. But there are so many other factors that will affect MPG, there's no concrete answer as to how much you lose with a DSG.

I know the smart financial answer is to keep my ALH. But man, the Passat SEL is such a nice car for the money, with a substantial warranty.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
never drove an ALH, but couldn't imagine getting a gasser after having the TDI. Even for the sake of keeping a car for the long haul nothing else will be like a Passat TDI on the roads again.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
never drove an ALH, but couldn't imagine getting a gasser after having the TDI. Even for the sake of keeping a car for the long haul nothing else will be like a Passat TDI on the roads again.
This is what I'm debating. At this point, the Passat TDI's are only going to get older. Should I upgrade while I can still get one with low miles? Or just keep driving my ALH until I need a bigger car, but at that point I may have to go with a gas car?

Also sorry if anyone feels like this is clogging up a MPG thread. My original question was about MPG.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think if comparing identical final gears of a '15 DSG vs MT curising on the same rd at the same speed, the MT will always win due to the less parasitic drag, there's cooling loop and hydraulic pumps running associated with the clutch packs of DSG, that's gotta suck a few watts and will lower the MPGs.

While in some way I agree with you the DSG is not like the oldfashioned torque convertor automatic.

BTW: This thread is about the DSG and not MT.;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Always good for a refresher. The one issue they didn't talk about was a rolling start. Around here, no one really stops for stop signs, they just slow down and it nothing is coming, give it gas and shoot through the intersection. Doing that with the DSG tends to confuse it and you get a lag in response. Also rolling back out of the drive and not coming to a complete stop before putting it into drive and giving it a little juice.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I've read about the rolling stop sign or turn on red starts confusing the Transmission in the DSG models , but being from North Carolina I can tell you a rolling stop is a really bad idea in a lot of places across our state if you don't want to receive a very expensive High insurance & drivers license Point ticket......

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Living in Charlotte for almost 24 years, I've yet to see a car pulled over for rolling a stop sign or stop light. Heck, I've even watched the police cruisers roll through stop signs. I try not to do it but sometimes you just turn the brain off.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I swear I'm probably the last driver alive who comes to a complete stop at signs and red lights in Canada and the USA !!!

Now having said that, I have 3 modes of driving.
1.) In Canada
2.) In the USA, where someone who thinks I cut him off or whatever and is liable to pull a gun on me ! I drive very careful.
3.) In Mexico, where I'll pass on double yellow lines if I consider it safe as all Mexicans do. Roll through a stop sign to avoid the a-hole behind me ramming my car. I won't pass on curves or double yellow lines uphill as Mexicans do.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Living in Charlotte for almost 24 years, I've yet to see a car pulled over for rolling a stop sign or stop light. Heck, I've even watched the police cruisers roll through stop signs. I try not to do it but sometimes you just turn the brain off.
Charlotte can be a different animal to drive around compared to our smaller cities when it comes to what laws are enforced and how. From my 4 decades of driving all over the state's small towns a rolling stop ticket is low hanging fruit to fill local coffers. Just remember my words, take that extra second to come to a full stop in travel through unfamiliar areas of the state. ....