www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mountain/Southwest States

Mountain/Southwest States Local discussions for those Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, & New Mexico

Old August 23rd, 2011, 22:04   #1
andylyco
Veteran Member

Default Nevada- '09+ TDI's exempt for emissions (smog testing)

So last year I had a minor catastrophe when I took my beautiful '09 Sportwagen TDI to be smog tested. I was originally told that it was exempt because it's AWD (it isn't) and then they said it was exempt because of the traction control. A quick call to the main emissions testing office at the Sahara DMV branch confirmed that it was NOT exempt. Long story short, 3 different technicians (including the manager) stalled it no fewer than 5 times, and as the vo-tech dropout at the diesel test site (in NLV) had it on the rolling road, for some unknown reason, he turned the steering wheel while it was strapped down, causing the wheels to bang against the steel plate on each side of the rollers. Suffice it to say that there was an unpleasant exchange that afternoon.
This year, dreading a repeat, I took it to a different place to be tested (Jiffy Smog @ Jones & Charleston) and the technician (Ryan) immediately noticed the year and said that it was exempt. I was doubtful, but he called the same office that I called last year, and they said to bring it down to be checked. I immediately headed down to the Sahara DMV and was quickly and easily given this exemption certificate. You can't use the renewal kiosk when you have an exemption, so I mailed in my paperwork and a check for registration. So apparently, because some of the dyno's were setting off the check engine lights on these newer VW's, they will exempt us! I have to go back to the Sahara office again each year, but as long as I bring the exemption from the previous year, I don't have to pay the $35 diesel smog test fee. Woo hoo!

(Technician name & number removed so I don't risk getting him in trouble if he made a mistake )
andylyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 22:48   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Andy, it's too bad that it took you so long to figure this one out. A search would have found you this thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=305426

I learned the same thing 8 months ago (with a lot less pain).

Have Fun!

Don