Steering wheel buttons, horn, cigarette lighter problem 06 Jetta TDI

06tdiesel

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Hey guys, I have a few problems with my Jetta that I just purchased. So recently the steering wheel control buttons stopped working along with horn. They first started to work on and off the first couple days and now completely stopped working. The buttons barely light up when the lights are on, and they keep flickering from going to full bright to not lit. Seems like a short there. Another issue I have, the cigarette lighter power doesn't work. I checked the fuse 42 and it was burned. I replaced it, and it burns out as soon as I turn the key. I tried checking to see if there is something stuck into the socket, and there's nothing there, even unplugged it and tried replacing fuse but still burns it. So here's what I tried so far: replaced the clock spring with a used one, and still same issue, and tried replacing the fuse 42 and it still burns it. I have no clue what to do now. Please let me know

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
Had the blown fuse issue & it turned out to be a penny in the socket. Sounds like you've ruled that out. I've also had issues with the fuse block. I would pull the fuse block out & check for any issues with the fuse block. One of my BRMs had a problem with the HVAC blower motor & it turned out to be an issue with the fuse block.

06tdiesel

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Had the blown fuse issue & it turned out to be a penny in the socket. Sounds like you've ruled that out. I've also had issues with the fuse block. I would pull the fuse block out & check for any issues with the fuse block. One of my BRMs had a problem with the HVAC blower motor & it turned out to be an issue with the fuse block.

Hey thanks for the input, I'll give that a shot. I mostly care about having the horn work and the steering wheel buttons.

06tdiesel

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
Hey guys I checked everywhere, there's nothing stuck but the fuse keeps getting burned out and steering controls now wont even light up with the lights. Also another issue is my keyless doesn't work ever since I've had the car. I tried programming with the key in the ignition and in the door handle and nothing seems to work. Also replaced key transmitter with the used one and still no luck. Doesn't anyone know where is the keyless module located?