Volkswagen Passat Alltrack

Would this thing work in America?

• Sure, look at the Outback: Plastic cladding sells wagons!

Votes: 156 94.0%
  • No. Europe can keep it.

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
...so they are coming out with a lifted Passat wagon, Outback style.

2.0 TDI 140hp, FWD or 4motion, manual or DSG
2.0 TDI 170hp, 4motion DSG only

1.8 TSI 160hp, FWD or 4motion, manual or DSG
2.0 TSI 210hp, 4motion DSG only

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Too useful of a car to be sold in NA. Besides, we already have the Routan and Touareg here. :rolleyes:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Fix the HPFP, intercooler icing, sunroof breaking, and any other lingering issues and I'd consider one.

I'd love to have a 4 Motion TDI, but would prefer an older one that anyone without a PhD can work on.

scrappytdi

TDI
'10 jetta
I voted for it but don't agree with the option, there is no more plastic on this car than there is on my wifes current Passat.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Is that full leather seating I see there? Without Dynamica "aka recycled plastic bottles" inserts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Awfully close to 'Alltrac', Toyota's AWD trade name for a number of years.

Looks cool, though. Like the Outback, but without the butchy lesbian taste.

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
Fix the HPFP, intercooler icing, sunroof breaking, and any other lingering issues and I'd consider one.

I'd love to have a 4 Motion TDI, but would prefer an older one that anyone without a PhD can work on.

Probably uses urea like the 2012 passat...

But wow... I want on, reminds me of the AWD Vovlo wagons, I like the dark(plastic) treatment on the bottom edge of the car.. same area that gets beat up on all cars, might as well forgo painting for a sharper longer lasting finish.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)

and another brilliant comment from the peanut brigade...where on this site does it indicate these problems on a PASSAT.....duh.....

apaustin

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat wagon, 96 B4V, 95 glx v6/96 tdi conversion, 97 b4v
After admiring the increased clearance and the awd, I'd kick it out of bed because it's an automatic.

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
As was mentioned above, it wont come here. That B7 wagon is mighty sexy looking though. Id rock a new all road like that though, especially a 4mo with a manual.

Schumey

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T5 2.0 TDI CAAC
I wonder how good it sell over here. I mean, the Cross Polo/Golf+/Touran are niche models and not really made for offroad use but you still see them.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I wonder how good it sell over here. I mean, the Cross Polo/Golf+/Touran are niche models and not really made for offroad use but you still see them.
Neither are CRV/RAV4/Escape/Mariner/Tribute/Pilot/MDX/Equinox/Highlander/RX350/Outlander or any one of the other 11ty psuedo-SUVs we have all over the road here. ;)

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I think people also have an obsession with buying a car that can drive off road. I would say 95% of vehicles on the road will never see even a gravel road. And on a gravel road a 2wd vehicle does just fine (Mine does...that's why I need that skid plate!!). My point is that even most of the cars that are made for off road, or claim to be made for off road, will never see anything than pavement. I don't think there is an off road niche, at least in the USA, because so many cars now have the capability.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Nonetheless, I like how it looks for sure. It is volkswagen identifying what works for other manufacturers. If only they could sell the polo here!

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
SUVs are a frigging joke. It's like a have a Swiss Army knife that's only used to peel potatoes.

FlyGuy2480

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI (A3 platform, AHU engine)
(From VW of UK) http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/passat-alltrack-gp/

In a nutshell, it is a VW Passat Wagon with a raised ground clearance and 4motion to give better off-road ability. Yes, they will offer TDI engines: a 2.0-liter 140PS six-speed manual and a 2.0-liter 170PS six-speed DSG. (I would assume that the engines are exactly the same, and it'd be just chip-tuned higher when mated to DSG.) And yes, these diesel engines/transmissions will be mated with the 4motion final drive. If I'm not mistaken, this means that it will be VW's first manual 4motion TDI. (Correct me if I am wrong on this. I would definitely like to know.)

It just sucks that the likelihood of this car being retailed in the United States is slim. For that matter, the Passat Wagon is no longer offered in the US at all, because the sales of all wagons (not just VW wagons) has declined; people seem to prefer small SUVs nowadays due to declining fuel prices. Let's just hope fuel prices rise again so that VW brings back some excellent cars to its US lineup.:D (Okay, maybe not, most people don't like high fuel prices.) If this Alltrack were to be imported, though, it could compete with the Subaru Outback and the Volvo XC70. Notice that the model shown in the article has a left-hand-drive, despite the fact that it was revealed in Tokyo and published on UK domain (both UK and Japan use right-hand-drive), which convinces me it will at least be available on a pretty wide left-hand-drive market. It also has a Wolfsburg, Germany license plate, which is a pretty good indication where it will be manufactured.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
If I'm not mistaken, this means that it will be VW's first manual 4motion TDI.
Here's a selection of the manual 4motion TDI models currently for sale in Germany:

Golf 4motion 140hp TDI = manual ONLY
Golf wagon 4motion 105hp 1.6 TDI = manual ONLY
(There is no DSG Golf 4motion TDI)

Tiguan 4motion 140hp TDI: manual or DSG
Tiguan 4motion 170hp TDI: manual ONLY

Passat 4motion sedan/wagon 140hp TDI: manual or DSG
Passat 4motion sedan/wagon 170hp TDI: DSG only <- like the Alltrack

Sharan 4motion 140hp TDI: manual or DSG
Sharan 4motion 170hp TDI: manual or DSG

Caddy 4motion 110hp TDI: manual ONLY

Multivan (and the rest of the T5 van family):
4motion 140hp TDI: manual only
4motion 180hp BiTDI: manual or DSG

Amarok 4motion 122hp TDI: manual ONLY
Amarok 4motion 163hp BiTDI: manual ONLY
Amarok 4motion 180hp BiTDI: 8-speed auto ONLY

When I was in high school in the late 90s, one of my friends had an A4 Golf TDI 4motion.

FlyGuy2480

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a selection of the manual 4motion TDI models currently for sale in Germany:

Golf 4motion 140hp TDI = manual ONLY
Golf wagon 4motion 105hp 1.6 TDI = manual ONLY
(There is no DSG Golf 4motion TDI)

Tiguan 4motion 140hp TDI: manual or DSG
Tiguan 4motion 170hp TDI: manual ONLY

Passat 4motion sedan/wagon 140hp TDI: manual or DSG
Passat 4motion sedan/wagon 170hp TDI: DSG only <- like the Alltrack

Sharan 4motion 140hp TDI: manual or DSG
Sharan 4motion 170hp TDI: manual or DSG

Caddy 4motion 110hp TDI: manual ONLY

Multivan (and the rest of the T5 van family):
4motion 140hp TDI: manual only
4motion 180hp BiTDI: manual or DSG

Amarok 4motion 122hp TDI: manual ONLY
Amarok 4motion 163hp BiTDI: manual ONLY
Amarok 4motion 180hp BiTDI: 8-speed auto ONLY

When I was in high school in the late 90s, one of my friends had an A4 Golf TDI 4motion.
Oh okay, I did not know that. Here in the US, all VW TDIs are front-wheel-drive (except for the 4motion Tuareg with its V10 and later V6 engines, but manual transmission is not an option). I was once told that it is not possible to mate the transversely-mounted I4 diesel transmission with the 4motion final drive because of how far the output shaft of the transmission is offset, but I guess that's completely wrong.

Thanks for letting me know.

By the way, just to be clear, do those 4motion vehicles have transversely mounted inline 4-cylinder diesel engines?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Sure, except for the Amarok which is not transverse-engine. All use 2.0L TDI engines, except the Golf Wagon, which gets the lower powered and priced 1.6 TDI.
Also consider: A3 TDI AWD and TT roadster/coupe TDI AWD are manual only, and Škoda has the Yeti, Superb and Octavia as AWD 2.0 TDI manual transmission versions. There are a lot more TDI AWD manual transmission vehicles in the Volkswagen portfolio than TDI AWD DSG ones.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
If VWoA ever decided to take a leadership role instead of trying to copy the failures of GM, Chrysler, etc. they would have that market slot all to themselves - and I can imagine it would be a fairly strong niche seller.

If I were running VWoA (thankfully, I am not - I left the VW family when became apparent we would have to sell Westmoreland Rabbits) the lineup would be: Polo, Golf, Jetta, JSW, New whatever they call the US B platform (SCAREY TO THING OF THAT AGAIN!!!) with Euro Passat wagon and TDI cross - as the premium (NOT the bloody Phaeton - anyone wanting that should be in an A8!!!!!).

VW has no problem bringing in premium stuff from Europe - the fools are seriously considering a return of the Phaeton. I would just like them to pull their head out of their rectum and bring in something people (*such as myself) will actually buy.

Last edited:

jrivers804

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, White
Its not always about offroading. I would like the alltrack because I live in a rural area and sometimes it can be tricky getting in and out of my yard. I would not be buying it to go "muddin" but for the additional traction and ground clearance. But a Passat waggon would be bigger than a JSW but should still have good "road manners" as opposed to an SUV. I would also like to think that an TDI AWD Passat waggon would still get decent fuel economy.

FlyGuy2480

Veteran Member
TDI
If VWoA ever decided to take a leadership role instead of trying to copy the failures of GM, Chrysler, etc. they would have that market slot all to themselves - and I can imagine it would be a fairly strong niche seller.

If I were running VWoA (thankfully, I am not - I left the VW family when became apparent we would have to sell Westmoreland Rabbits) the lineup would be: Polo, Golf, Jetta, JSW, New whatever they call the US B platform (SCAREY TO THING OF THAT AGAIN!!!) with Euro Passat wagon and TDI cross - as the premium (NOT the bloody Phaeton - anyone wanting that should be in an A8!!!!!).

VW has no problem bringing in premium stuff from Europe - the fools are seriously considering a return of the Phaeton. I would just like them to pull their head out of their rectum and bring in something people (*such as myself) will actually buy.
Its not always about offroading. I would like the alltrack because I live in a rural area and sometimes it can be tricky getting in and out of my yard. I would not be buying it to go "muddin" but for the additional traction and ground clearance. But a Passat waggon would be bigger than a JSW but should still have good "road manners" as opposed to an SUV. I would also like to think that an TDI AWD Passat waggon would still get decent fuel economy.
I totally agree on both those statements.

The reason why I like wagons is that they have the utility of SUVs and light pickup trucks, yet the efficiency and economy of a sedan. These extremities are even more emphasized when the wagon has a TDI engine and 4motion final drive. The US government should be giving out tax credits for this configuation.

The Passat Alltrack would be perfect for the 95% of 4WD drivers who need the 4WD for the occasional crossing of snowy mountain passes, gravel roads, or (like you said) to get in and out of your yard, but never do any demanding recreational offroading, eg. water forging, rock climbing, "mudding" (lol I like that word), etc. I will just keep my hopes high that VWoA will eventually get some common sense to retail what people in the US really need.