www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Beetle 2012+

VW Beetle 2012+ Discussion area for the 2012+ Beetle TDI (sometimes call the New New Beetle) based on the PQ35 platform.

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:11   #1
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Default Beetle TDI Real World MPG

The 2013+ Beetle TDI has the lowest MPG numbers of any of the TDI models. At 28 city 41 highway, the Beetle is closest to the 30/42 Jetta and farthest from the Passat at 31/43.

Typically the new TDI models beat their EPA estimates, so - how is your real world MPG in your 2013 Beetle TDI?
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:38   #2
stembridge
Veteran Member

When you reply, also please describe your typical driving conditions (highway, city) as well as your driving style (speed limit, +10, +20, etc.) as these all affect mileage.

I'm only on my second tank, so not really enough for a true running average yet. First tank was 40.4, current tank says 41.5 at about 3/4 full.

I have a rural commute mostly on 55mph state (farm) roads and drive the speed limit. I'm following the break in reccomendations posted elsewhere on this site, which includes "firm" acceleration to help seat the rings.

es
1963 Type I Deluxe Sedan
stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:01   #3
bradysplace

Default Mpg

2013 bug tdi convertible. Live at 7000 ft. Foot hills of Colo. driving consists of rural 50 mph, interstate 75mph split evenly. Winter fuel is giving me a overall avg 42.6 computed 43 car computed . As the car only has 2000 miles on it I am sure it will improve with time and summer fuel. The increased drag of having the top down can't be avoided 😄😄😄😄
bradysplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:40   #4
stembridge
Veteran Member

Manual or automatic (mine's manual)?
es
1963 Type I Deluxe Sedan
stembridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 21:59   #5
Bugwithaltitude
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best - 49(all hwy), Worst - 38(all city), Avg - 42

I've been wondering what B12/B13 owners are getting, the real world MPG I've heard from owners of other models is high 40s. Bradysplace, is this your first Beetle? If so, welcome to the Beetle family!! Have you checked out newbeetle.org? we'd love to see you and your car at Colorado shows. We have a national GTG in Roswell, NM June 6-9. We'll be carabugging to Roswell and leaving on June 5. It's lots of fun.
Old April 15th, 2013, 00:15   #6
bradysplace

Default gears

DSG ... Never been a big fan of the dsg would rather have a less sophisticated automatic. Standard is fun but gets old in stop and go traffic. I'm sure my overall mpg would be a bit higher with standard and would eliminate the "big" dsg service down the road. Oh well..... This is my 3rd bug convertible but my first tdi bug convertible.
Old April 17th, 2013, 13:16   #7
Chuckwrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradysplace View Post
DSG ... Never been a big fan of the dsg would rather have a less sophisticated automatic. Standard is fun but gets old in stop and go traffic. I'm sure my overall mpg would be a bit higher with standard and would eliminate the "big" dsg service down the road. Oh well..... This is my 3rd bug convertible but my first tdi bug convertible.
Several dealers told me that the days of better mileage with a manual vs automatic are over for VW at least. Supposedly the DSG's get the same as the manuals do now-a-days and the only thing different is the upcharge for the auto tranny...Are they lieing to me?
Chuckwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 13:46   #8
laicnani

I've got a DSG convertible. I'm on the third tank now. Average economy over the first two tanks was 38.5. With the top down, I'm averaging 36; with the top up, 41. My commute is 75% stop-and-go, average speed of 45.
laicnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:51   #9
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Seems stupid now, but it makes sense that the MPG number would be lower with the top down...and that would be reflected in the EPA MPG number.

The rag-top probably has a higher drag coefficient than a sleek roofline.
cevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:44   #10
Ted Hurst
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 GSW
Fuel Economy: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwrd View Post
Several dealers told me that the days of better mileage with a manual vs automatic are over for VW at least. Supposedly the DSG's get the same as the manuals do now-a-days and the only thing different is the upcharge for the auto tranny...Are they lieing to me?
It's a marketing program. The DSG has parasitic losses that just can't be overcome. Something has to power the all that gear banging.
'06 Black Jetta DSG Special Edition, 138k Mi, Frost Heater, RC1+,HEX-CAN USB - Traded
Ted Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:31   #11
laicnani

On many cars (not just VW), automatic are getting higher mpg ratings than manual. I think it's due to the way mpg is tested. Most drivers would probably get around the same mpg in auto or manual, while better drivers could probably eke out better economy with a manual. The DSG is nice, I like that there is an eco mode and a sport mode.

Quote:
laicnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:15   #12
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Third tank and we are running about 43.5MPG. First tank I told the wife "Go have fun driving" and she got a mischievous smile. But the tank was most all around town and state highways, about 40MPG.

We have a manual coupe.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:14   #13
bradysplace

Default Slush box

Chuck - no one is lying however the dsg does use alittle more energy. In the real world folks with standard tend to be slightly more aggressive than the dsg which negates any mpg advantage. With standard u deal with the tranny and a manual clutch with dsg u deal with a manual automatic it's complexities and a expensive service well down the road. I guess the advantage of the dsg is that it can be used as a manual without the clutch. Can't go wrong with either box. ����

Last edited by bradysplace; April 18th, 2013 at 09:17.
Old April 18th, 2013, 14:45   #14
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

The gearing is also taller on the 6m which accounts for better MPG . I believe 6th gear is 10% taller in the manual.
Old April 18th, 2013, 14:57   #15
Jayg
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's just not true. The vast majority of Manual transmissions here get better mileage then their DSG counterparts. DSG's are better than conventional autos but still not to the level of a stick and a decent driver.
Jayg is offline   Reply With Quote