B5 Wagon glow Plugs code

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
I paid $38.08 out the door for my NGK's at the dealer. $8.98 each plus 6% sales tax in MD The flash cost me $99.99 out the door.

Earl

Thanks for update , What is main key things you noticed with the flash to 038 997 016T

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Thanks for update , What is main key things you noticed with the flash to 038 997 016T
Too early to really tell yet. The cold starts are better and smoother. It idles smoother when up to temp as well. All I noticed so far. Haven't put many miles on it to check for fuel mileage changes.

Earl

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Finally i had some times to get the work going on replacing the GP in the B5 wagon . To my surprise i found that the GP inside the ENG are the 5V BOSCH Part#: N10591607 which must been done as part of the Original recall by the 1st Owner and he never participated in the 2nd part of it

The New GP's i ordered is the Part#: N10591609 which is the Newest revision ( steel sleeve and ceramic tip ) 7v there for i change them i am going to Fry them and we not doing that .:D

My Choice either Stick with the Steel BOSCH 5V and call it a day since we live in warm climate and even when we go North we never had cold start issue

OR stick with the parts i ordered and be forced to head to the steelership for ECM flash to work with the the 7v

decision , Decision ... My steel GP came out thankfully easy and the tips looks great except one had open which is the bad one :rolleyes:

What would you do

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Don't mess around. Install the new 7v NGK's and than have the ecu updated at the dealer. You can install and plug the 7v NGK'S in and than take it to the dealer. The 5v won't hurt the 7v till the ecu is flashed. Mine had 5v as well and it didn't like to start in the 20's or colder.
After the NGK's and flash my car started right up and smooth at 3*F. Before, it didn't want to start in the 20's and knock and smoke and shake.

Earl

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
I have the 5v glow plugs in both of our 2005 Passat's and they will not start either car below 25 degrees. I just ordered (8) new 7v NGK Glow Plugs.

I will be doing the glow plug swap in the next few weeks (waiting for April weather ).

If you guys do not have Zerostart Frostheaters ; I highly advise you to get them. www.frostheater.com

Thanks

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You don't need it if the glow plugs are good.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to live where's it's between 30-40 degree during the winter :D. The coldest the BHW saw was 18 degree and it fired up on 3 5V plugs with no problem .

SO i went the BOSCH 5v route and forget about it. Saves me from an hour trip to the useless dealer and extra $95 for me to fund my racing season

Last edited:

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
Software Question?

I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

The glow plugs come in 3 variants.

The original 7 volt ceramics that were prone to breakage and recalled. These were used with the original ECM flash which will display part number 038 997 016R when scanned.

5 volt steel glow plugs and an ECM reflash were installed in most cars to replace these original failure prone ceramics. The glow plugs are part number N105 916 07. The ECM was flashed and the part number will show up as 038 997 016N when scanned. These glow plugs caused some starting issues in cold weather and the campaign was abruptly stopped.

A new extended warranty was offered to those with either the original ceramics or the "new" bosch steels. If a customer complained of starting issues or glow plug faults a set of new NGK hybrid ceramic 7 volt glow plugs, part number N109 916 09, and another reflash were installed that worked very well. The ECM part number after this flash will be 038 997 016T. This is the most up to date setup and these are the only glow plugs that you can currently buy at your dealer.

I have found that the new N105 916 09 glow plugs can be installed and work quite well in a car with the original ceramic flash (ECM part number 038 997 016R) as long as they are installed in complete sets. replacing only 1 will set a glow plug fault.

That said, I'd pay the dealer for the reflash and the new hybrid ceramics. Should cost about $150 all in. There are some additional drivability improvements with the new ECM software that you will probably like as well.
They should know what flash to install, but just in case, you'll want the ECM updated to 038 997 016T.

I have seen the dealers get confused because the service action also applies to the BEW but the BEW ECM updates to suffix "R", they get confused and tell you your ECM is already updated, trust me, it is not... I think exactly this happened to imo000.

If your car has the "R" software version, which I think it does, you can install the new glow plugs yourself ahead of time and just take the car in for the flash at your convenience. It will still start fine.

If you have the steel glow plug "N" version, installing the new ceramic glow plugs will make it difficult if not impossible to start in the cold, so you may want to hold off and let the dealer install the new glow plugs just prior to doing the flash.
Hate to bring up such an old thread but this is where I've found most info on the glo plug issue. Need some info to help me with my S10 swap

I have two ECUs from 05 passat TDI's one from my donor car, and one from ebay to play around with in case I screw up. I did a BDM read on both of them and the software number that's listed in WinOls for both is this

I think this is the old 1st recall TSB which seems to state that that version is the original software that came with the car.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/U995VPT2700.pdf

Can someone clear this up for me? I would preferably like to have the updated software, and the new -09 plugs. I could also read my ecu from my daily which had both recalls done so i know it had the new SW and -09 plugs, but that car has been manual swapped and tuned, so I'd rather not touch it.

Thanks

d0u8l3m

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat
You are correct, this is the original software for the car. It is meant for use with the old (apparently) fragile bosch 7V glow plugs.

You can update the software to version "T" but it must be done on a bench with the ECU opened up. The MPC and EEprom files can only be accessed via the BDM port. You'll have to send it to a tuner for this work, unless you have access to a BDM tool.

Thanks for the clarification!

I have access to a tool, but doubt ill be able to get access to the software. I'll have to do some more digging, unless someone wants to loan me their updated ecu so I can read it...:p:p:p