Start to Finish B5.5 conversion/project thread, a newb's journey

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
Start to Finish B5.5 conversion/project thread

This thread is my attempt to document from start to finish my 2005 Passat project. It is not intended to be a "how to" thread, as I am not a mechanic, and though will be documenting the process as well as I can, I will not be the one doing the work. If anyone learns anything from my experiences, awesome! I will come back and list some threads to look at if you are considering the manual swap that may be a better place to look for "how to's". :)

I am buying 2005 Passat Wagon GLS with a blown tranny, and with the help of my local mechanic, converting it over to manual, deleting the BSM, adding a tune, and considering a camshaft, (either right away if needed, or later if this one is ok for now). This will be a work in progress, and the various mods listed will be done over a period of time.

Here is a quick pic of the car taken by the seller:

I will post a couple more after the car arrives sometime this next week, and plan to post progress pics as I can.
2005, GLS, Wagon, Dark Blue with grey leather, 112k original miles, two owners, the original for less than 2 years, then the current seller.

Prior to purchase, I had it inspected at a shop:

The bad:
-blown tranny (not shifting correctly in 2nd and 3rd, slipping and limp mode) also pan is leaking.
-Front passenger door lock assembly thinks door is closed all the time. -Needs to be replaced.
-Headlights lenses hazy.
-Minor bearing noise from viscous fan bearing.
-BSM still original, but no chain noise. (will delete anyway).
-very slight valve cover leak.
-One of the 17" Bistars is missing a center cap.

Good:
-two owners, all services done. Timing kit at 75k (now 112k)
-All other systems in good shape an operational. Other than a very slight noise in front lower control arm bushings. (will likely address that in the next year or so).
-Overall a good, relatively clean (though needs a detail), rust free, operational (other than tranny) car.

Other condition notes:
Exterior: minor and typical scratches, no big chips, no dents, no accidents,
no rust (had them look well for it, specifying known rust issues).
Interior: leather in very good shape as is the interior generally. Single guy,
no kids or pets so back is not worn. But generally needs a good
clean/detail.
Summer tires (conti extreme contacts) have one summer left on them, but that is it.
Looks from receipts like he used ok oil. 5w40, 505.01 Castrol or valvoline syn power. (edit: looked at more receipts, looks like some 5w30 snuck in there on a change or two early on. Going to plan on a cam at some point).
Basically seems to be a generally well maintained, pretty much stock car.

Initial plans:
-manual conversion with DUK gearbox, 1.9TDI clutch (ordering from Frans)
-Delete balance shaft
-consider doing timing kit again seeing as we will be in there.
-Tune ECU (considering Malone Stage 2 with Flashzilla, more on that below)
-check glow plugs (did not remember to get that checked) to see what I have and either tune appropriately or replace as necessary for cold starts.
-consider doing camshaft. (may do right away, or may wait until after remainder of initial project accomplished. also depends on overall cost of initial project).
-install my already purchased steel rims and snows.
-get a good detail
-Enjoy.

My local mechanic, with backup from a local TDI guy who converts Vanagons to diesel, will do the heavy lifting. I will help as much as I can. I hope that he and I will get to know the car very well through this process.

So this is the current plan, and as with all plans, things may shift. Open to all advice and comments as I go. I have been reading lots of threads on the conversion process, cams, tunes, glow plugs, rust handling/prevention, etc. So much good info to find here if you look. Thanks!

I am intending this thread to be one person's journal of a project, reviving a blown tranny car, and hope that the thread will provide some decent info. It will also be fun for me to track it as it goes.

One initial question is whether I am planning out this project in a logical, cost effective way. I want to be effective with labor as I go, so want to take care of things that make sense. But I can't really afford to gut the whole car and rebuild the whole thing in one bite either. So looking for a balance there.

One big question there is the cam. I will probably push that part off unless I really have to do it now. But maybe not if budget allows after the tranny aspects are more or less purchased and labor budgeted and known. As stated, input welcome. Thanks all!

Last edited:

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
First musing. The Tune:
Because I live out in the middle of nowhere, and not close really to any dealers or support, I am thinking of going with Malone, Stage 2, and getting the Flashzilla so I can learn to use it, and tweak things as I go. Also, Bora parts sells it, and they are kinda sorta close over in Portland. This may change if the local TDI guy who will work on the car in the future, has a huge preference for something else. I think he is a Kerma guy for some stuff, but have not heard back from him yet on what he thinks about tunes.

TD tuning sounds good too (and I know many like others as well like Rocketchip, etc.), but as I said, I am not near any support, and getting the Flashzilla for some sense of self reliance is comforting to me.

Last edited:

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Interesting, I am close to doing the same. I bought a 2005 sedan with a unhealthy tranny, and am planning to get the conversion stuff from Frans, as a hopefully fairly complete kit will lessen the pain of parts acquirement. I am 70 with a 15 year old son who wants to learn about cars so this project could do that. I am at this point planning to pull the engine and transmission as a unit since I will be working on both. We are in Tonasket Wa. so in the same neighbourhood. I will be interested in following along with your project,and since I haven't ordered the parts yet will be a step behind. mark

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Glow plugs update: Receipts show plugs were replaced in 2011 (about 30,000 miles ago) with new ones with the only number listed as "28F6". Not sure if that is a part number or a code for the shop. Oh, but I see a note that it was a request pursuant to the "N4" VW campaign, so it must be one of the recalls.

ZZ, glad to have you along. Will keep posting as I the project progresses.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I would suggest removing engine/trans as a unit as its easier to check and replace things like gaskets, hoses, etc on back of engine. Replacing spring hose clamps with stainless screw type will make it easier to service those items later. Cleaning all grounds in engine bay and coating with no-alox, cleaning all connectors and applying same while you are at it. Your cam may be just fine and I'd do the things you mentioned and drive it before worrying about tunes. I don't think the latest ngk gp's were were available in 2011 so you probably have the Bosch.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I would suggest removing engine/trans as a unit as its easier to check and replace things like gaskets, hoses, etc on back of engine.
Plus it will be easier to access the starter and bellhousing bolts. In addition while it is out, you should replace the plastic rear coolant flange, temperature sensor and tendem pump gaskets.

Replacing spring hose clamps with stainless screw type will make it easier to service those items later

I disagree with you on the hose clamps. With a good set of cable hose clamp pliers, it is much easier (to me) to get the clamps off in tight places.
I disagree also, you do not want to have a worm drive clamp on plastic coolant necks, you only want to use a factory constant tension band spring type. There is a slight expansion while operating on these plastic coolant necks, and the screw/worm drive clamp will hinder it's expansion and cause fatigue.

Last edited:

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
28f6 was the famous glow plug recall
Ok, so he had the latest recall ones put in. I will just make sure they are in good shape as we do this, and will be doing a tune anyway and will have tune adjusted accordingly if necessary.

Maintenance of car note: He had all his work done at Gebhardt in Boulder, and Wolfsburg Autowerks, also in Boulder. He is not a "car guy" per se, but brought the car in on time for all service at these places, including regular "checkups".

Add to my to do list:

Frostheater installation.
Verify glow plugs.

I live in a place where we get a couple months of weather that can be sub 10 degrees F, some of it subzero. The car will live inside in my garage, but at work during the day it can get cold too.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
I would suggest removing engine/trans as a unit as its easier to check and replace things like gaskets, hoses, etc on back of engine. Replacing spring hose clamps with stainless screw type will make it easier to service those items later. Cleaning all grounds in engine bay and coating with no-alox, cleaning all connectors and applying same while you are at it. Your cam may be just fine and I'd do the things you mentioned and drive it before worrying about tunes. I don't think the latest ngk gp's were were available in 2011 so you probably have the Bosch.
Huh. Well, I will verify either way. Good thoughts to consider on the rest, though after talking to Frank at Frank's TDI on my last attempted project, I will stick with the stock style clamps. The only worry I have about the cam is that from old maintenance records he kept, it appears 5w30 Castrol synth was used a couple times back in like 2008 or so. (looks like Wolsfburg Autowerks, a german car place in Boulder, used the wrong stuff a time or two before getting the memo). From '10 forward, it is all 5w40 of proper spec.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Plus it will be easier to access the starter and bellhousing bolts. In addition while it is out, you should replace the plastic rear coolant flange, temperature sensor and tendem pump gaskets.
Will talk to my mechanic about that. He might prefer it anyway. We'll see after further inspection.

Thinking I should look at the rear main too while it is apart, which again makes me lean toward following this advice.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
the roof rack on this car is a bit faded. I imagine the detail I get should help out, but for long term, any recommendations for restoring the black?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Maguier's Back to Black. You'll needs several coats over time to soak in but it will work.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Or maybe it's made by Mother's. The name is Back to Black.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Parts for the auto to manual conversion are ordered (mostly except a couple odds and ends) and should be here by Friday or Tuesday. Car should be here Thursday or Friday, in time to do some checking on things, and maybe start some tear down in anticipation of the parts.

Here is an example pic of the kit Frans sends (not my actual kit), excluding my clutch/SMF.

Currently shopping for and ordering other parts I want to install at the same time and/or near in time to the swap, including ECU mod and tune, frostheater, BSM delete, valve cover gasket, and also maybe cam kit, timing kit and motor mounts depending on my own inspection when the car gets here. But if I don't have to do a few of those last things, I may put them off too.

These will be going on too.

for the remainder of winter anyway, presuming some winter returns.

Last edited:

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Sunvalleylaw, I'm glad to see you found a Passat to work on! And it looks like a twin to mine! Looking forward to watching your progress on the car! ;) Subscribed!

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Sunvalleylaw, I'm glad to see you found a Passat to work on! And it looks like a twin to mine! Looking forward to watching your progress on the car! ;) Subscribed!
Thanks! I see from your avatar line that you went with Malone 1.5. I was thinking Malone 2.0. Any particular reason you went for 1.5?

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Thanks! I see from your avatar line that you went with Malone 1.5. I was thinking Malone 2.0. Any particular reason you went for 1.5?
There was mention of boost creep with some PD motors and I didn't want to worry/mess with the possibility of it. That was my reasoning. I'd love to see how the Stage 2 feels cause the 1.5 is incredible with the manual! Keep us posted what you decide!

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
There was mention of boost creep with some PD motors and I didn't want to worry/mess with the possibility of it. That was my reasoning. I'd love to see how the Stage 2 feels cause the 1.5 is incredible with the manual! Keep us posted what you decide!
Will do. Still researching and deciding. I have been talking to Aaron over at Bora (super helpful!) and plan to finalize my shopping cart in the next day or two so the stuff can get here about the same time the car and tranny does.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
The kit looks good. I ordered mine yesterday. Do you think the left transmission mount is included?

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
I think so. I believe he told me it was and that all I would need would be gear oil. I will email him and confirm.

EDIT: yes, it is included.

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
You don't need the full pedal cluster. Just change the short brake pivot with the longer one with clutch pedal. Remove the clip and slide the pin out. The longer one JUST clears without removing the assembly.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
You don't need the full pedal cluster. Just change the short brake pivot with the longer one with clutch pedal. Remove the clip and slide the pin out. The longer one JUST clears without removing the assembly.
Yah, and thanks for the heads up. But it is frankly easier for me, way out here in the middle of the woods of Idaho, to just order the full kit and not call 50 thousand junk yards in search of what i need, then have it shipped from a bunch of different places only to find that one or two items are the wrong thing. I spent a couple hours on it all told, between phone and car-part.com requests, and had only a small portion of the list sourced reasonably. You guys that are close to u-pick lots can do it cheaper I am sure, but considering the cost of my time and travel, just not worth it to me.

I also tried calling semi-local u-pull Twin Falls (Barger-Matson), Boise area, and Pocatello (LKQ), which would have been maybe worth it. Maybe, considering a 1.5 to 2.5 hour drive each way depending on location. But no luck. Tried further out (WA, Utah, Oregon), but it was too hard to find everything, and I was having to rely on the other guy on the end of the phone pulling and shipping the right thing. I am pretty sure there would not have been much, if any, savings when it was all said and done.

Last edited:

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Arrrgh. The car transport company I hired was supposed to have this car here a couple days ago and it has not even been picked up yet. (Secure Auto Transport. Highly rated but . . . ) Apparently, the driver they hired was having some mechanical problems but was not forthright about it until he could not pick up the car last night (late, but still sort of within reason). Now they are looking for a new driver. So, the parts will get here before the car does apparently. Oh well. I was excited to check it out before it went into the shop, but all in good time I suppose.

rnkasper

TDI
2005 B5.5 Passat TDI
Did you get your trans kit yet? I ordered mine in the beginning of January and have yet to receive it. I'll be following your progress.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you get your trans kit yet? I ordered mine in the beginning of January and have yet to receive it. I'll be following your progress.
Not yet, but it is coming. I know he got backed up a bit on the conversion kits, as opposed to the gearboxes and clutches only. Frans will come through for you I am sure.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the car is on a truck finally and should be here tomorrow. Tranny parts are coming, and my new VCDS is on the way as well. Let the project truly begin!