CEL: Transmission error code

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
225K miles. Tranny gets serviced every 50K.
CEL came on yesterday. VagCom says it has to do with the lock up on the torque converter. It shifts fine. No issues whatsoever. MPG did not change. Any ideas on why this happens? Reset it the old fashioned way by doing something with unhooking the batteries and a screwdriver, and "resetting" it that way. . I didn't do it, my mechanic did.
That corrected the CEL. The windows' auto open and close had to relearn. The radio's presets did not have to be messed with.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If your mechanic keeps shorting the battery with the cables connected, sooner or later you will need an ECU or worse. That is NOT how to clear a code.

What was the code?

If it was the famous torque converter one, then you will soon need a new one, or worse, a transmission.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
I couldn't tell you. Is it a problem with the torque converter? It has been shifting fine.
How do you clear that code anyway?
I'll make sure we don't do that anymore.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I couldn't tell you. Is it a problem with the torque converter? It has been shifting fine.
How do you clear that code anyway?
I'll make sure we don't do that anymore.
I had the same code with both our Passat's (both 05). With my wagon, I did not feel the loss of lock up or faulty shifting so I cleared the code with my VCDS. After a few weeks, it came back and eventually, I could feel the TC not engaged and the trans slipping. With the other B5, it ended up with a new transmission @$4000.

I sold my wagon with the bad TC and code. We sold the other B5 with a new transmission.

I gave up..:(

Last edited:

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Wonder how often this failure happens? Once it does happen, you couldn't shift with the "tiptronic" mode?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
sounds like the tc clutch is worn to the point it slips, but not all the time. The linings are probably worn thin. It won't get better, only worse. In this case, replacing the tc now rather than after complete failure may prolong trans life, since its had good care. Just don't wait, do it now, or it will surely toast trans.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Old news. TSB about it. You need a new converter. Getting more common as these cars mile up. Oh, and you need a new mechanic.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Clarification here:
My mechanic reset the CEL after he saw the error code and he did it with the VagCom. As I understand it, it is something to do with the "adaptive" something-or-other that does the lock up on the torque converter. Apparently there is one way (maybe not the best way) to "erase" the memory of this adaptive thingie. Well, after he did that thing with the battery. This was LAST NIGHT.
Now CEL back on this morning. So, I'm strumming my pain......
Where is the best place to get a torque converter, if this is in fact the problem? Or should I think about a new car? It has been a really good car. Kind of in the geriatric phase now On the way to assisted living and eventually a nursing home......

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a new torque converter. Volkswagen sells them. This issue is not new, and has been posted here MANY times. A simple search would have given you probably 15+ threads on the very same topic.

The TSB number, the part number for the converter, pricing, etc. have already been posted here numerous times.

I'd be happy to fax you a copy if an old-school method of information exchange is more to your liking.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
225k miles...pretty darn good. With that mileage you might consider a whole new trans though. Be a shame to go thru a TC R&R only to need a new trans in a relatively short while.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand that I need a new TC. Question I have is; if the TC takes a dive, can I still use the "Tiptronic" mode and still run? I don't mind not using "D" if I can use the "+/-" mode.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
using the pip function won't help at all. You need a tc at the least. Continued operation the way it is will eliminate one choice you have presently between replacing whole trans or just tc .

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
Fixed

Followed the advise of the experts in this forum. Changed out the torque converter and did a transmission fluid and filter change. Shifts and drives like new again. Hopefully I will be able to log 300K miles without another bump.
This forum is a great resource!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
trans service every 50k is a good thing. the tc was bound to wear out, however it did last a very long time

TENAZ

TDI
Golf
I do have a 03 golf with almost 200K and it gave me the TC error code, I ended it up replacing it, After it still giving the same error however the transmission shifts fine np I guess I have to get a rebuilt one, anyone can advise me where I can get an affordable one here around Los Angeles CA ?
Thanks

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I do have a 03 golf with almost 200K and it gave me the TC error code, I ended it up replacing it, After it still giving the same error however the transmission shifts fine np I guess I have to get a rebuilt one, anyone can advise me where I can get an affordable one here around Los Angeles CA ?
This is the B5.5 Passat forum (2004-05 only for North America). Different transmission than what you have. Suggest you start a thread (or search) in the A4 section: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12.