09 Jetta tdi Cold air Intake

Krzysiuu

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I wanted to put an after market cold air intake. Anyone know where to start? i found a few for around $270 but do you guys know of any other ones? Thanks for the help

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Krzysiuu said:
I wanted to put an after market cold air intake. Anyone know where to start? i found a few for around $270 but do you guys know of any other ones? Thanks for the help
Do a search here, then don't waste your money, because:

1) your '09 TDI already has a CAI and most aftermarket intakes are really warm air intakes. They get their air from above the engine (under the hood)

2) Most after market intakes use an oiled filter - this will kill your MAF sensor. Do a search for K&N.

3) The stock air filter flows plenty of air with good filtration. Aftermarket filters flow more air by doing less filtering - bad for your engine.

4) You might get a little more noise out if it - but, you won't get any more power.

5) Don't believe the sales pitch from the sellers, they just want your money. Ask the experts here.

6) Aftermarket intakes are almost as useless as aftermarket exhausts, but they are a lot more dangerous for your engine. VW makes an excellent CAI and it came stock on your car.

Learn first, spend money second - you will be much happier in the long run.

Welcome to Fred's

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. If you really have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, go for a tune. For 2009 TDIs tunes are available from Revo, Neuspeed, F1 Tuning, Malone tuning, and probably a few others. Some of them might even be legal (but no-one has posted emissions effects).

Last edited:

Krzysiuu

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Im sorry, im not too familiar with a "tune". Is it just professionals optomizing my car for performance ?

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Krzysiuu said:
Here we go again! Is this #4 since june 1st?:confused:

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
Okay dude if you search for intake... make it yourself... 85$ with Aem Dry filter that work with static for trapping dirt and stuff.

I have a DIY.

No performance gain, mpg stay pretty much the same. Sound is different with you are chipped a little bit.

I much come to a personnal conclusion that prove what other says... It's pretty useless but it sound cool.

:)

MostroDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Gasser VR6; (Sold and missed) 09 JSW DSG Pano Blue Graphite Build Date 05/09
K&N? Absolutely not, ever, under any circumstances, for any piece of equipment, if you value said piece of equipment.

Or any other similar filter. Paper filters are the best FILTRATION devices, period. NO OTHER FILTER CAN FILTER AS WELL. And you want filtration.

Even if you're gung-ho for these filters because they supposedly bump your horsepower by some miniscule amount, remember that what matters is torque, and a new air filter isn't going to increase torque to any noticeable degree.

Once again, that's: never, ever, ever, ever use a K&N or similar "high-flow" filter, ever, ever , never, ever, ever. Ever.

Ever.

Krzysiuu, if you want to spend money, you can just send it to me. I can always use it.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Krzy, save your pennies for something with a tangible payback ;)

Welcome aboard!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
MSG#2 pretty much summed it up.

I would add, the oem air filter element (Mann) is SO superior, that one can run it WAY passed the oem recommended duty cycle (60,000 miles for the 09 TDI) . Just make sure that you do not BREAK/UNDO the seal; I.E., do NOT open the box (unscrew, there-by "breaking the seals" ) to LQQK to see if the clean side of the air filter pleats are clean and the dirty side of the pleats are dirty.... they already ARE !!!!!!!! (they were designed to FUNCTION that way !!)

$270 (@ 12-16 ea http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2009/volkswagen/jetta/air_intake/air_filter.html) will buy 23 to 17 air filters. Being as how the oem recommendation is 60,000 miles, 23 to 17 air filters will last you 1.38 M miles to 1.02 M miles, and that is on the oem recommendations !!!??? (which are FAR too conservative) You can easily run an oem air filter 80 to 100k miles. Another reason to love our TDI's !!!!

So for example, 03 TDI with 138,000 miles has an oem recommendation of 40,000 miles (air filter change) It is due it's second filter change @ 160,000 miles !!!??? Since I clean the snorkle screen every 5,000 miles (search or google if this is greek to you) ; all I do is take out the fully intact air box, empty the silicon particles out of the bottom of the air box by tilting. Then I reinstall the parts. So as you can see the "system" has been inspected and snorkle cleaned app 27/28 times !!!!!

So if you do not "GET" the full impact of this, let us know !!! Now I am not asking you to agree with this !! All the best !!

Last edited:

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Krzysiuu said:
Im sorry, im not too familiar with a "tune". Is it just professionals optomizing my car for performance ?
The ECU has a table of what values (air, fuel, boost, etc.) it should deliver and when. The stock table is designed primarily with being as far under emissions requirements as possible. A tune replaces that table with one that favors performance. The tunes I've looked at have an on/off option should you need to take it to the dealer or get it SMOG tested or what have you.

Keep in mind that tunes not only increase performance but increase fuel economy because they allow the engine to work more efficiently. I think it was dieseldorf that had a lab test of no filter, OEM filter, and K&N filter and they're all very close. I think the K&N vs. OEM difference was on the order of around 1/2%.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Krzysiuu said:
I wanted to put an after market cold air intake. Anyone know where to start?
I know where to start.

First, send me the $270.
Second, LEAVE THE STOCK CAI & MONSTROUSLY OVERSIZED, EXCELLENT FILTRATION SYSTEM INSTALLED AT THE FACTORY ALONE. :mad:
Third ??????
Fourth, profit! (For me, and your car remains unmolested.)

(step zero is learning to use Google for searching TDIClub, because this is at least thread #4 on 'cold' air intakes or K&N 'filters' this month on these models alone)

Welcome to TDIClub. ;)

Krzysiuu

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
scurvy said:
I know where to start.

First, send me the $270.
Second, LEAVE THE STOCK CAI & MONSTROUSLY OVERSIZED, EXCELLENT FILTRATION SYSTEM INSTALLED AT THE FACTORY ALONE. :mad:
Third ??????

(step zero is learning to use Google for searching TDIClub, because this is at least thread #4 on 'cold' air intakes or K&N 'filters' this month on these models alone)

Welcome to TDIClub. ;)

Hahaha i apologize =p and thank you guys

AndersonOne

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
scurvy said:
I know where to start.

First, send me the $270.
Third ??????

Welcome to TDIClub. ;)
I would like to take responsibility for at least one of those CAI threads... :) BTW, I'm not getting one now. Saving my money for a Revo flash.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
Krzysiuu said:
nie wydawaj pieniedzy na zadne tam "cold air intake".

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
Dont do a cold air intake on these cars... you loose torque and low end response plus you lose 3 to 4 mpg.... conclusion... it sucks hot air.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I was going to try a K&N till I read this thread, I would like the increased noise though, sounds cool...;)

Toronto

TDI
2009 Jetta
don't buy it , just save your money and stack up thousands of dollars in the bank..
.. you'll need it once your HPFP fails
:eek: