Anyone have electric seats?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I think electric seats were only available in GLX and W8 trim levels. The B5.5 TDIs were only available in GL and GLS levels.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Nope. As mentioned in the previous post, they were only available on the GLX and W8 trim. VWoA never seems to import TDIs in high end level trim, only low and mid. :mad::mad::mad:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
My brother's W8 had them like stated above. They were also memory seats as well.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
I have heard that some have found good used ones and retrofitted them into their B5 Passat TDIs. Who has done that and was it not too hard? I would probably just want to do the driver's seat if I decided to. Probably will not, but just window shopping.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
I found a power drivers seat this morning in a 2000 B5 wagon with a 2.8 v6. Could I hard wire it or does the power have to come from the CCM?

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
I found a power drivers seat this morning in a 2000 B5 wagon with a 2.8 v6. Could I hard wire it or does the power have to come from the CCM?
Interested in this as well. Years ago I put power seats from a Grand Wagoneer into a completely manual five speed version I had purchased. I just hardwired those, but they had no memory or anything.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
You still have to worry about what to do about the side airbags in the B5.5 If you don't disable the controller (somehow) from sensing them, it will turn on the warning light.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I have electric memory seats (W8 conversion). I HATE them. They work erratically and the damn memory function occasionally decides to readjust the seat randomly. I may swap mine out for a nice manual cloth seat at some point...

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Easily done and no issues with airbags. If you get seats from a 1998-2000 make sure you get the air bag male and female connectors and a little pig tail as the connectors changed in 2001. The power can be run to the fuse panel. The heat is plug and play if you have heated seats now. As for memory portion it is a pain to make work so I have never hooked it up. I have a pair of power seats with bad leather. If anyone is interested your covers can go over these frames.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
That's the first thing I did to my B4s and B5.5. The B4 was a pain because vw didn't import any so I went with Taurus power seats. They were soooo much more comfortable than those horrible B4 seats. The B5.5 was much simpler to use GLX power seats. Like vwztips, I didn't hook up all the necessary components to get the memory function up and running but that's in my future. My wife is 5-3 I'm 6-2. Would be nice to have. There are plenty of rotten GLX power seats in the junkyards you can get cheap and slip your skins on. Airbags use separate connections. Stay with B5.5 and you won't have any airbag wiring issues.

Last edited:

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the power seats have the same range of adjustment and lumbar support as the manual seats but they are just simply powered? Or do they have more or less range of adjustment?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Do the power seats have the same range of adjustment and lumbar support as the manual seats but they are just simply powered? Or do they have more or less range of adjustment?
That's been debated on here. Do some searches. In my experience with my B5.5, electric seats have much more overall adjustment, comfort and convenience than manual ones. I just wire them directly to the battery with a 10 amp fuse. The lumbar adjustment is the same mechanical knob in power and non power seats. It is far superior to the newer NMS lumbar which hits me too high.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
That's been debated on here. Do some searches. In my experience with my B5.5, electric seats have much more overall adjustment, comfort and convenience than manual ones. I just wire them directly to the battery with a 10 amp fuse. The lumbar adjustment is the same mechanical knob in power and non power seats. It is far superior to the newer NMS lumbar which hits me too high.
Ok, that is good to know. Particularly about the lumbar being the same. That lumbar adjustment is perfect for me and my L4/L5 herniated (now healed but obviously still vulnerable) disc. I am a bit particular about my seating. The manual vw seats work well for me. A little more adjustment wouldn't hurt I suppose. A little less would not work.

The VW seating (particularly this vintage) is one reason I have this car. These seats, and volvo seats, and etc. work. My wife's Suby seats, Toyota seats, etc. do not work as well for me.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Go find a 02-05 glx or w8 at the used car lot or classifieds and try them for yourself. There are three motors in them that give you more adjustment than manual. I can advocate until blue in the face but you won't know until try you one. Good luck-I'm done here.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Go find a 02-05 glx or w8 at the used car lot or classifieds and try them for yourself. There are three motors in them that give you more adjustment than manual. I can advocate until blue in the face but you won't know until try you one. Good luck-I'm done here.
Thanks for the info. They sound great. Your first reply answered my question that it appeared they had at least as much adjustment available or more. Sorry if my reply made it sound like I still questioned that. Anyhow, sounds like a really nice upgrade that I will try to accomplish at some point. Thanks again, Steve