Actual Purchases of 2015 Stop-Sale (NEW TDI's)

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
...Pulled the engine cover off and the oil filter is not on top anymore, and I could see why. Lots of crap there now ...
I was disappointed by this change, too. A filter vessel drain plug has been added, but mine was blocked by some wiring and another line. Haphazard and potentially messy.

The solution I came up with for the one one oil change I performed prior to buyback was to use a socket extension, and length of paper towel tube cut about the length of the socket + extension. I loosened the drain plug with the paper towel tube already in place underneath the filter vessel. I was able to successfully use that to remove the drain plug and direct the oil into my pan while keeping everything else clean.

I didn't like that the oil filter plug is plastic, and I presume easy to strip if not careful. It turns with a higher resistance than a metal drain plug, and right off the bat I was concerned I was stripping the head.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well I am one of those saying "at those prices, I would never buy one". So what did I do, I am purchasing a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium, gold exterior, dark grey interior. Got the Invoice price, minus the $5,000.00 @ 0% APR for 72 months, plus mudflaps thrown in and an extra $1,000.00 off. They stored their TDI's inside a warehouse they have and they cleaned it up extremely well. I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium with the air bag recall and my wife won't drive it with the grand kids. Love the car but kind of useless if she won't drive it even though the risk is small. So I will sell it back and apply that to the new one and only have to come up with a couple of grand. Drove it yesterday and the only thing I noticed is it didn't seem to have the acceleration as my 2013. Maybe it will after it gets broken in and the rings seat and etc or it just was me. But I do like it. Pulled the engine cover off and the oil filter is not on top anymore, and I could see why. Lots of crap there now and a large aluminum piece of equipment there which I have no idea what it is. So I am going to learn what is what in this engine. SO when it came to buying one of these, I should never say never.
If you like the 2013, get the airbag recall done. Parts arriving, and ours was completed last week.

My wife decided to get a 2015 TDI Passat SEL (her fav color happened to be available) and we are keeping our 2013 as well. Between no viable replacements out there, and zero issues with it, I can't come up with any sane reason to part with it.

- Tim

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I called up VW credit, there is zero penalty for canceling lease early if payed off residual plus remaining payments.

So with the $625 lease acquisition fee, why wouldn't anyone take the lease then roll the financing to your local credit union and save the $2875 over the 0% 72 mo VW is offering on their loan?

We'll be paying off the entire lease a few months once the 2012 Passat is bought back.

The wife mentioned she wanted a photo opt of all 4 in the fleet.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Congrats on the new car.
I'm still shocked by the vanishing discounts (due to taxes etc); in your case, $348*72 is $25,056. I just didn't manage to convince myself to buy at that price, after spending over two hours looking at a very similar GSW S.
What I didnt mention was that I also sprang for the $750 GAP insurance coverage. so yes, by the time I paid for the DOC fees, GAP covereage and sales tax and registration I was about 2k under sticker. I got what I wanted, and I know what I am getting into. Yes its a bit much, but I am not a new comer to the TDI.

Yes I will have to do some research to find out the best way to take care of my new engine and emmissions systems, (is B5 or B10 acceptable in the CR system?)

That's a beautiful color, Growler. I'm jealous. I ended up with white on black, manual. Picking it up tomorrow. I haven't had a white car since my '06, so it'll be a nice change. Gives me an excuse to get a tint.
Peter, the only thing that would make this car better would be a 6 Speed Manual. Although I am liking the DSG and do not really notice any hesitation when taking off. Perhaps its because I am used to having some delay anyways from having to feather a clutch for so many years...?

Yeah, I might be looking into somt tint. but wont be right away.

I need to try to see what a good price will be for both my Stock (plus VR6/G60 clutch) ALH Golf with 226k on it, and my heavily modified 2003 Wagon with 229k on it.. gonna be a fun week. I would welcome any suggestions for either of them.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
GAP coverage is included in the lease, which I guess is a savings if you don't want to live dangerously.

I know someone that may be interested in the Golf. I'll be curious about what you come up with for pricing.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
has anyone noticed which price you're paying state sales tax on? My dealer wrote the sale up initially with the sales tax being calculated before the 5k rebate, which means about $300 more in sales tax, doesn't seem right?

It seems like the tax ought to be figured on the price after the 5k is taken off?

vikingtdi

TDI
'11 JSW
has anyone noticed which price you're paying state sales tax on? My dealer wrote the sale up initially with the sales tax being calculated before the 5k rebate, which means about $300 more in sales tax, doesn't seem right?

It seems like the tax ought to be figured on the price after the 5k is taken off?

I thought so too. But I researched and it depends on the state; in my state, you pay the tax on the "pre-rebate" price which most dealers use the MSRP as the taxable amount and rebates below that. Screwy? Probably. But all states have this spelled out in their sales/use tax guidelines on their .gov sites. I'd provide a link but am on mobile (with drink in hand). Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
vikingtdi, are you in Washington? Washington is the same as what you describe.

tperretta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI and 2011 Sportwagen TDI

You pay tax on MSRP, which makes the deal even crappier.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
What I didnt mention was that I also sprang for the $750 GAP insurance coverage.
Yikes, that works out to $10 a month. Is it paid up front and rolled into the loan, or billed monthly where you can cancel it in a few years? Did you cross-shop with your insurance carrier? I've never actually priced a dealer's gap coverage; I'm just a little surprised.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
In Massachusetts you're only charged sales tax on the net cost of the car after rebate. This is true for both the lease and loan.

tom61

TDI
2001 tdi beetle , 2015 TDI GSW DSG SE
Put a deposit on a 2015 tdi golf sportwagen se ,platinum grey / black interior today . 5k off , 0% for 72 months . Can't wait to pick it up this weekend .

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
In Massachusetts you're only charged sales tax on the net cost of the car after rebate. This is true for both the lease and loan.
You guys are lucky, FL you pay tax on full amount then they take the rebate off. BUT, we don't have state income tax :)

vikingtdi

TDI
'11 JSW
vikingtdi, are you in Washington? Washington is the same as what you describe.

Yes. And if you're in King/Pierce/Snohomish county, you now get the ridiculous RTA tax and registrations fees (let's assume $350+ minimum). But, as cane mentioned, no income tax. Then again property tax is a sonofa*****. You can't win.

And in regards to how these are taxed, I suggest that you watch really closely and ask about EXACTLY what is being taxed and at what rate. One dealer quoted me the taxable amount at 13.5% of the MSRP which is a few points higher than normal taxes BUT EXPENSIVE NONETHELESS. So to them, "tax" was a profit center to offset the rebates and discount! I'd like to see their books when a transaction goes through. Shady.

If you need info about TDI stock here or if you have any info, let me know. Pacific Northwest is all over the place with pricing for the 2015s: -$6600 off MSRP to dealers marking up $3k before rebates.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's in my driveway

And anyone would be hard-pressed to convince me this isn't a new car. 374 miles on it, smells new, clean underneath, new tires, brakes, battery, oil, wipers, brake fluid. Everything works great.

After document fees, license, and title, but before leasing costs, my net was $16,399. After leasing and interest charges cost is $17,298, but that will be lower if I pay off the lease early.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like a great deal to me. I may have to make some inquiries before they are all sold.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Mine was showroom new as well. I was happily surprised. Congrats.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The lease is obviously the better, less expensive way for me to go. You can further reduce the cap cost beyond the 8500 by any amount you want, any amount down to close to residual. That way I could have either a 30-50 per month payment or just pay it off in a couple months. That way, I limit my costs on the lease and still come out a couple thou ahead of the finance deal. perhaps some here did not know about buying down the cap.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Don't do that, though. Never put money down on a lease. If you total the car in a week that money is just plain gone.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
[...]

After document fees, license, and title, but before leasing costs, my net was $16,399. After leasing and interest charges cost is $17,298, but that will be lower if I pay off the lease early.

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Congrats on the new car! Very good deal, it seems. Could you be a bit more explicit on what went into those numbers? What kind of model is it? What is the tax rate in your neck of the woods? Even an S model they wouldn't have reduced to $17,300 out the door, or would they?

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
Put a deposit on a 2015 tdi golf sportwagen se ,platinum grey / black interior today . 5k off , 0% for 72 months . Can't wait to pick it up this weekend .
Where in ILL.? Manual or DSG?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Congrats on the new car! Very good deal, it seems. Could you be a bit more explicit on what went into those numbers? What kind of model is it? What is the tax rate in your neck of the woods? Even an S model they wouldn't have reduced to $17,300 out the door, or would they?
Sportwagen S Manual is $25,650 retail. $8,500 off for the lease, plus the dealer discounted it some. So you get to $17,300 pretty easily. Sales tax is 6.25%, included in the lease payments, as is the lease buyout fee. I'll be liable for personal property tax, won't know what that is until I get the bill. And I'll have to pay sales tax on the residual, of course.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Sportwagen S Manual is $25,650 retail. $8,500 off for the lease, plus the dealer discounted it some. So you get to $17,300 pretty easily. Sales tax is 6.25%, included in the lease payments, as is the lease buyout fee. I'll be liable for personal property tax, won't know what that is until I get the bill. And I'll have to pay sales tax on the residual, of course.
That is a great deal on a new car. Congratulations! Better than I realized they'd be going for. And with a killer warranty to boot.

I am lurking on all of these "new 2015" threads for punishment for buying a gasser about 2 months too early. But on the other hand some fixed buyback 2015's should pop up for sale at some point I suppose and maybe be an even better deal in some respects. I've never been a new car kind of guy.

I'd be tempted to jump into the hunt, but after reading these threads its pretty apparent that the good ones are long gone. I couldn't bring myself to settle for a DSG. I'd have a hard time deciding between a GSW and a Golf, but after driving a MK6 GTI for 1000 miles I must say that I really like the Golf size for a daily driver. Its just the family trips where the extra cargo space comes into play that might make me go GSW eventually.....that and the fact that there seem to be so many more available.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
That sounds really good. Compared to what you paid the numbers here in Illinois really don't make any sense. I would have paid (for a DSG S model) 24*$516 monthly lease, plus $11,356 residual. With 9.25%tax on the residual, plus some initial fees, that adds up to $25k. Anything less than $20k, I would have probably taken it.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Check the KBB -- Old *old* units doing quiet well, indeed
Indeed, yet still... this situation is quite artificial, as VW has cornered the market on TDIs, creating demand. If VW never releases the cars they bought back, KBB ought to track a graceful decline from here on out.

On the other hand, if the fixed buybacks begin returning to the lots, I expect we'll witness a quick return to normal valuation.

Actually, consideration should be given to the large pool of Gen 1 cars that will probably never reappear, and the Gen 3 pool is limited in number. So perhaps there'll be enough pent up demand to keep the values propped up?

We'll find out soon enough...

rbatt2

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium DSG
After contacting four dealers and doing a few test drives since Saturday but initially finding no movement off of MSRP I took delivery this evening of a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Fortana red with black interior, DSG, lip spoiler, monster mats, wheel locks, roadside assistance kit and first aid kit. Build date was 5/2015 and mileage at delivery was 71. Sticker was $35,555 and I negotiated a dealer discount of $850 off MSRP plus took advantage of the $5K VW rebate and 0% for 72 months.

This is a return to the VW family for me after a 25 year absence and I am excited. I previously owned a 1987 Jetta, 1987 Scirocco 16v and 1990 Passat GL. It's also a return to diesel power since my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4X4 EcoDiesel was bought back by FCA last year after 2 1/2 years and more time in the service bay than my driveway!

Last edited: