Rear license plate lights

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Both rear license plate light's went out at the same time the other day. Got the dash warning light.

It's not a fuse, and it's not the bulbs.

All other lights on the car work.

Any ideas?

Car is a 2006 Jetta.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If you use a analog volt meter to check for voltage you will need to know that the lights use a PWM signal. Unless you have a very fast volt meter you will never see battery voltage there.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
joetdi said:
If you use a analog volt meter to check for voltage you will need to know that the lights use a PWM signal. Unless you have a very fast volt meter you will never see battery voltage there.
Why in the love of GOD would it be a PWM? :confused:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
In addition to the above, if the plate is on the hatch or trunk, check the wires where they bend when you open or close the trunk/hatch.

BTW how are you sure it is not the bulbs?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Not the bulbs because I tried some from another car that worked.....well I cleaned the contacts, and tested for power, which was there...when I put everything back together they worked...but not right away, took about an hour....very strange. Must have gotten some moisture in there..there's been snow on the back end of my car for a couple days from all the snow on the roads....maybe that had something to do with it.