IQ setting before hammer mod.

Josh_Heide

TDI
2003 Golf
If the hammer mod is necessary after an injector swap, what number should the IQ adaptation be set at before tapping on the pump? Mine is currently 32684, with the measureing block showing 4.0 mg/str, all stock. The new injectors will be Sprint 520 in an otherwise stock engine.

Thanks,
Josh

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like to have it halfway between the lowest and highest possible setting, or around 32740. That way you have some adjustment range in either direction.

Also, my .02 is to keep your IQ between 2.8 and 3.6 or so. Drop it down there, put in the Sprints, and see if the smoke is manageable. It should be, and the car will feel stronger. And at the risk of getting flamed, I don't think it will affect fuel economy unless it's smoking a LOT.

Right now I have RC3 with PP520s an my IQ is at 2.4 or so (hard to get a good measurement when it's cold). Light haze at WOT but that's it. Mileage is great.

Josh_Heide

TDI
2003 Golf
Thanks for the info. I got the new injectors in and was able to get the IQ down to around 3.0 with just VAG-com. Lots more power, no smoke except when wide open pulling a steep grade. I'll make a little trip this weekend and see how the mileage is if I can keep my foot out of it.
Josh