www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Future TDIFests

Future TDIFests Discussions about future TDIfests

Old October 11th, 2017, 15:04   #136
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Another

http://canyonoftheeagles.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...98.43436?hl=en
Old October 11th, 2017, 20:38   #137
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Lightflyer1: Now that's a nice location.

As tomo366 said, the Dorr County location was about as perfect a setting and place to have a group meeting of a bunch of gearheads that you could find.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:09   #138
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Here is another closer to Austin and in the San Antonio/Austin corridor.

https://www.tbarmcamps.org/retreats

Many different kinds of rooms available (bunkhouse, hotel, cabins) starting around $115 a night. Only drawback I see is all food/drinks onsite must be provided by them.
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:50   #139
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
...Only drawback I see is all food/drinks onsite must be provided by them.
That's how it has been at the Fests I've attended. The venue's catering service provides the three group meals - Meet & Greet, Guest Speaker Breakfast, and Awards Banquet. You're on your own for all other meals.
Old October 14th, 2017, 07:18   #140
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Default Thoughts about various event formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
That's how it has been at the Fests I've attended. The venue's catering service provides the three group meals - Meet & Greet, Guest Speaker Breakfast, and Awards Banquet. You're on your own for all other meals.
Most venues will offer you complimentary meeting rooms if you book catering with them. If you don't book catering, expect to pay for your meeting rooms. Also, most hotels do not allow off-site food to be brought in and served to guests. Andrew was sneaky last year and did it anyway ... fortunately the hotel owner didn't notice or at least didn't mind.

Having non-hotel food is always nice, but it's a balancing act to offer that sort of thing while maintaining a location that is conducive to the activities and accommodations that organizers want to offer.

Some other ideas that have been discussed over the years include hosting TDIFest at a vacant car dealership. It has been suggested that we could rent one of these out but insurance options start to get limited (and expensive) if you look into it further.

I think most people are open to new ideas, but they all have to be vetted and the budget calculated to see what is viable and what isn't.

Another thing to consider is alternative lodging arrangements. AirBnBs and VRBOs are very attractive, but all hotel contracts have a negotiated number of room-nights that must be met. If the negotiated number isn't met, the group is responsible for attrition charges (fees for falling short of your targets). These types of vacation rentals can quickly erode the room totals, making it difficult to meet targets. If a lot of attendees want to explore these types of alternative lodging arrangements, the event organizers must negotiate their numbers accordingly. For example, a large vacation rental can easily eat up 15 room-nights that would otherwise go to the hotel. If your contract is for 150 room-nights (50 hotel rooms multiplied by 3 nights), that one house can result in a shortfall of 10%.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; October 14th, 2017 at 07:25.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:45   #141
sdubois

Fuel Economy: not enough

AUSTIN CREW REPORTING IN
Someone email me(hi2uall@gmail.com), I rarely check the forums

3 words: Lime Creek Road

Do any of yall from here know anything about renting the berger activity center? Massive parking lot, relatively near a lot of hotels and motels(dont stay at the texas inn or the sands motel, extended stay is 5 min down the road and has a lot of grass available for parking)

Last edited by sdubois; October 17th, 2017 at 12:42.
sdubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 19:52   #142
Leo819
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45.5/35

I'm in PA, I was part of the 2006 fest, I'm willing to volunteer. My wife and I have family friends in Leander.

Leo819 is offline   Reply With Quote