Colt cam Q and A

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Yup, the Stage 3 needs minor clearancing of the lifter bores to fit on the ALH/AHU. Very minor though, like a small scrape with a butter knife according to Colt.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Whats the difference between clot cam stage 2 and stage 3? Whats the RPM range of them to?​
Which engine?

ECU tuning decides rpm range

You can always call and ask questions

Kraiger

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
I ran my colt stage two up to 5800 on pulls and it took all that i could give it.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesels don't complain about bigger cams the way gassers do... You will still have a smooth idle at lower RPMs with a hopped up cam (well smooth in that the engine isn't loping like a gasser, but hey it's still a diesel)

I have my stage 2 idling at about 875 RPM, seems quite happy. You definitely notice a bit more of a burble in the exhaust than with a stock cam. The 2.5“ exhaust helps with that too. ?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
PS one fun part of having it in a red can is when your landlord steals some of your fuel without asking.... Hehehe....

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Colt 3 cam

I bought and installed one a few years ago. I never noticed much increase up top, but it lost power in the 2 to 3 range and lost 3 MPG. I took it out, sold it, to someone who immediately broke the cam. I was told later by Chill that it was probably dropped causing a fatigue crack.

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
I have a Stage 3, idles no different than OEM. I notice it comes alive more in the upper RPM.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a Stage 3, idles no different than OEM. I notice it comes alive more in the upper RPM.
I was really considering going the Stage 3 route myself, only reason I didn't was that I had my head mounted and my lifters in already when I was picking up my cam.

I definitely don't see any drawbacks to the Stage 2, there's no lack of power at any part of the range in my car. Though if you don't add some fuel to go with the extra air all you're going to see is a bit of an EGT drop without any additional performance.

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Stage 2 cam will be the easiest to install. I'll go with it and a a basic port job. Should have more power then I'll need when I go with the new turbo, 2.5in exhaust system, stage 1 ecu upgrade, and a custom snorkel.