vnt15 maxed out

cookie88

TDI
2010 cup edition
I'm sure you guys get these similar questions quit a bit, but here it goes. I have a 02 ALH, Clutch is slipping bad now, so I upgraded, ordered a stage 2 along with a stage 3 malone tune. I already had rebuilt the top end (when the timing belt went) with a new head, stage 1 injectors, exhaust, and stage 2 tune etc.. So i'm asking with the stage 3 and clutch, what to expect from the stock vnt15?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
What are 'Stage 1' injectors? That vnt15 is good for about 18.5psi max. I'm guessing you're close to that on your Stage 2 tune already.

I doubt Stage 3 is going to be much of a difference unless it's going to dump way more fuel down low and give you a little torque bump.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Stage 2 and 3 have the same boost, I think 18psi, at least that's what it said on mine. Stage 3 fuels a bit more, I could smoke pretty good with the .230 nozzles and the vnt15, I say it was more than maxed out. ;)

cookie88

TDI
2010 cup edition
If I remember right I had ordered 502's from bora as far as injectors. And I figured that was the case, I'm debating on which turbo to order now. any suggestions for around the VNT17 size. I'm not looking to go crazy, just a good match for the mods I have. Thanks guys

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
If I remember right I had ordered 502's from bora as far as injectors. And I figured that was the case, I'm debating on which turbo to order now. any suggestions for around the VNT17 size. I'm not looking to go crazy, just a good match for the mods I have. Thanks guys
Speak with your tuner! He is the one to make the parts work together.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And "502s from Bora" isn't a lot of info for the tuner. Bosio PP502s? Titan 502s? The numbers mean different things depending on the maker.

Va6tmy

TDI
None
Stage 3 Malone tune is all good with your Stage 2 Clutch and current VNT-15. I`ve been running that with Bosio Sprint nozzles for the past 6 months and no complaints. It pulls nice, strong and smooth without spikes or much smoke.

cookie88

TDI
2010 cup edition
cool, thats kinda what I was looking for. The stage 2 I have was a malone, but I have a suspicion the shop I got it through altered it. It's not as chrispt and clean as I'd like it to be. I'm hoping this one from BORA will be better, or maybe I'm use to my EFI live tune on my cummins...hehe I do have a another questioned for ya, I see you have the EGR delete, any issues with warm up/ heater. I've debated doing it on account of how dirty it is but was steered away by some guys on here with warmup issue during this time of year here?

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
EGR Delete

I did the egr delete on mine when I did the turbo...I'm up in Canada and it only takes a few min longer to warm up....and my advice would be to go the Vnt 17/22 turbo route, the mod bug has already bit you....why limit yourself with a Vnt 17 ;)

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
FYI, the problems I had with my Stage 2 Malone all went away when I replaced the turbo. Although it seemed to function well on the stock tune, it had lag, smoke, and spike issues with the tune. Smooth as silk with the new turbo (BV39).

At some point I will take the 195K mile original turbo apart and I expect the VNT to be worn or gummed up.