My litle power enhancement V2.0

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Hi. I thought it might be good to start my own thread instead of derailing someone elses. This will (likely) be a story of how to blow up a perfectly good Audi 3.0TDI.

Firstly heres a link to my old build thread form few years back. Some of you oldtimers might still remember it.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=176063&highlight=litle

Ok. Lets begin.

I bought the car pretty much year ago. It stayed stock for surprisingly long time. I read the original file while driving home from the shop, but I didn't mod the file untill next day.
The car in question was a 2006 model Audi A6 with Tiptronic box. It had some dents and crappy crash repair work done, but since the price was right I dared to take it. Car had 345k km on the clock but the engine was already changed once and that supposedly had 100k less on it.

After chipping it I just drove it for a while and did some repairs. The gearbox acted up when cold, so I changed the oil and filter. The result was decent operation while cold, but twitchy change from third to second when it was warm... Luckily after a month or so the blob of junk decided to move from the valvebody and the box repaired itself.
Another repair I did was a injector service. I sent a spare set to Romania, and got a repaired set back in a week or so. Don't know what they did to them, but they seem to work better than before so I can't complain. Those will propably be just a temporary fix anyway, since the original injectors aren't going to cut it after a point. Too small.

Ok. Lets start with the fun part. Ruining the car that is.

As I know myself I knew that upgrading the turbo would be just a matter of time. But somehow I just didn't like the idea of stock based hybrid turbos. They have limitations and would not get me the air I will need.
So I had few options. GT3576VKLR or BV S200V/S300V. After carefully measuring (read guessing) the available space, I opted for the phisically smallest of them. S200V. The problem with that was that it had crappy 45/68mm compressor mated with what seemed to be perfect size turbine. So the turbo went to Finturbo and they measured out what could be done with it. The end result was 11 blade compressor with 50mm inducer and 72mm exducer. If the profile is anything like a real GTX would be it should be good for wee bit over 400hp.

I started the turbo conversion few weeks ago. After alot of cutting, grinding, welding and cursing the turbo sat pretty much where stock turbo did. I used stock exhaust manifold Y/support and welded a suitable flange to it. I kinda cheated a bit here and tilted the turbo slightly so that the exhaust is pointing slightly down and compressor inlet up. To everyones surprise it won't even touch the hood when its closed :D On the other hand servo connector wasn't so lucky. After first test drives it broke off after hitting the firewall...

So how does it work. Bit slow on spooling under 2500rpm. That might still get better after some tuning tough. With vanes fuly open the boost creeps like no other. At around 4000rpm the boost is close to 3bar. EMP is around 3.2bar so no worries there. The solution to the boost creep is waiting on the mail to be installed this weekend. Tial MV-S copy wastegate. That should do the trick and hopefully it will last for a while.

Now that I have a turbo that is capable of delivering boost without the back pressure getting sky high I fould out few things about these cars. I have tuned few of these with stock based hybrids the power has been somehow limted to 300hp or so. The MAF values have beend dropping after 3000rpm thus dropping the IQ. I just thought that the turbos weren't all that good and that the aiflow was limited nearly to stock turbo levels. But now that I have a turbo that is boosting nearly 3bar and the freaking MAF values were still dropping to 1100mg at 4200rpm! So today I did some testing and with VCDS Generic OBD I was able to log airflow in g/s. The result was 249,98g/s with anything over 1.7 bar. That leads to 900kg/h max maf value and that just isn't nearly enough. freaking 33lbs/min! No wonder the cars delivered roughly 300hp with lamda values set to 1-1.1.

So now I need to either bend the lamda maps at high ariflow or get a larger MAF and try to get the linearization correct. I think I would need almost 50% more flow range with the sensor to be able to properly controll the fueling in all situations. I think first I will just tweak the lamda maps tough.

And at the end few crappy pictures of the build.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Got the turbo working after all. Someone had drilled additional hole for the CHRA aligning pin. Vanes had about half of the travel. Now they have some more but now I'm limited by the servo arm length. Its good enough for now. Can limit boost to desired 2.3bar. 3bar EMP with current fueling.

About fueling. I'm reaching the flow limit of the original cp3 pump. With around 1ms duration it still can keep the rail pressure at desired 1670bar. Now with 1.15-1.2ms it drops to 1560bar. If my calculations are even remotely correct thats 110-120mg/stroke. Up till 4400rpm.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Nah. Bending the lamda maps worked good enough for now. I will make a larger MAF for it later. Lamda based smoke limitation is the way to go.

A430TDI

TDI
Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI QUATTRO
Great project you got there!

What kind of acuator do you use on this turbo, is this the bv50 acuator?

Also why not a 2260vk hybrid turbo instead?

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Gtb2260vk hybrid would have been the sensible option. With AMG turbine wheel and slightly larger than stock compressor wheel it would be perfect for a daily driver. Instant throttle response and goid for 380hp. Those 2576 hybrids are stupid tough. Way too large compressor for anything.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Would these turbo a good upgrade for a 1.9 ve the s200v with better comp. Wheel

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I think they would be a good option.

I use bv50 actuator with modified arm. Still not enough travel.

Just be aware that the matrial is not steel...the metal is more like magnesium. It bursts in flames when you weld.

A430TDI

TDI
Wow!!! What kind of hp your planning to get whith this turbo?

Also how you gonna solve the fuel problem you wont get enough whith that 1600bar system right?

Keep up the good work! Respect...

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI

I have a feeling that the flow limit of the cp3 is actually higher than with cp4 systems. And there are commonly known mods to the pumps since they have been used in Cummins and Duramax engines for a long time.

It would be nice to double the stock power but thats not going to happen with stock nozzles. With some custom nozzles it should be doable.

A430TDI

TDI
You say that that 1800 bar system is 5% bigger. And 2000 smaller?

Why a A5 audi 3.0tdi whith 1800bar system are getting that mutch hp power if it is only 5% extra vs 1600bar. The engine is in big lines the same.

This is the only way to get more fuel in it i gues. Otherwise how?

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
The injectors have that little difference compared with 1600bar. You can run older cp3 pump systems with 1800bar to compensate. On the other hand I think they use 2000bar with those...

But for power we are pretty much on the same line. Those B8 chasis cars vave better turbo to begin with. Thats why they have more power. You can make much better hybrids in Garret housings than in the bv50.

Btw first B8 chasis cars had 1700bar rail pressure stock. And they have smaler nozzles than ours :)

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Early B8 had CP1 pump!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
We have too much pressure on our CR project but no time to tune! Larger injectors next!

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
So we are somewhat in the same boat. After I get the pump modified larger nozles are next. Well actually building the 6hp19 stronger might be the next project... I think I'm slightly over the rated 450nm of the gearbox ;-)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
So we are somewhat in the same boat. After I get the pump modified larger nozles are next. Well actually building the 6hp19 stronger might be the next project... I think I'm slightly over the rated 450nm of the gearbox ;-)
Put a 01E in there if possible ? With a meaty clutch it should take whatever you can throw at it...

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
No dynoruns yet.

And no manual gearbox either. Building a strong enough clutch would cost the same as making this box stronger. If they can make 6hp26 good for past 1000nm I think this one could be made good for 800nm. Possibly even more. And with this turbo there is no worries of too much torque down low ;-)

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I wonder if a cp4 would fit in there directly ? Possibly just might need some pickup truck nozzles or inj's too.

I was at a Bosch Motorsports seminar on the skyactiv-d race engine.They leaked some top secret info :rolleyes: like using injectors from the ford 6.7 "scorpion" engine along with bosch motorsports standalone ecu.I should have asked him about the high pressure pump.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I just wish I had a source for different types of nozzles and injectors so I could test. Some truck injectors might be nearly bolt on upgrade. And then there would be more then enough options to choose from.

Back on the Gearbox issue. I have a feeling we had few slipping situations yesterday. Thats 3500€ thank you...

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I did some comparisons of stock nozle sizes based on stock ecu files. If my factor for EDC17 ecus is correct for all of them, changing to Duramax LML or 6.7 Ford wouldn't actually be an upgrade. You can see few different duration maps compared in the link:

http://postimg.org/image/5em0dpp9d/full/

BTW I recieved a spare Audi CP3 pump today. I will disassemble it during the christmas time and see how I can make it flow more. If all else fails, then stroke it.

BTW2 I measured the fuel pressure between the filter and pump. At idle and low load it is around 0.3bar. With a longer pull it drops pretty much to zero. I couldn't make a really long pull since it gets scary to do AWD slides past 150km/h---

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Did some pump modifications today. I modded the FCV, fuel outlet fitting and cascade valve a bit. I will try to put the modified pump on this weekend. Here's few pictures of the mods.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yae6i3azvxw03sx/2014-12-25 12.55.13.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tz97rhqpocj6qj9/2014-12-25 13.08.40.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmkg5qci57v5b6g/2014-12-25 13.36.49.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ah7ftxglmp9dvbp/AAByPg2Q7zWzMcbH2rsJG_XQa

I also did some logging of IQ and rail pressure. I rasied the request to 1800 bar and in short sprints with this cold tempreature (-10c) it seems to nearly keep up with the requested pressure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiqy7cpnrjj5qu6/IQ ja railipaine.PNG?dl=0

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Nice, going to do the same thing with the B8 when we get the chance.

Keep up the good work!
Pics not working for me but this is on my phone.

Merry Christmas!

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Going to try to swap the pumps tomorrow. I already did a file asking for 130mg from 4000rpm to 4500rpm. I also did some timing modifications. I'm a bit scared to try tough. ~30degrees at 4500rpm... Thats the only way to keep the EOI at roughly 5 degrees ATDC.

The nozzles are just too small. 1ms duration would be much better for power production at high revs compared to current situation.