Pancake pipe woes

Chris Coates

TDI
Octavia TDI 90 ALH
How do all...

Whilst fitting an improved upper IC pipe yesterday, I was taking the opportunity to attempt to replace the lower IC pipe on my ALH with stock VNT15 with a 1.8t pancake.

The outlet from the pancake to the SMIC went on fine, but the standard outlet hose from the turbo just doesn't go on and has a metal bayonet connector on the end of it.

Obviously I don't want to be cutting that off if I can't get it onto the pancake pipe leaving me with nothing...

What have people used to connect their stock VNT15's up to their 1.8t pancake?

Links, pictures, and ideas appreciated.

(btw I looked in the search that seemed to indicate a 1.6td hose from a T3 may do the job, but I can't see how - pics would be helpful)

Chris Coates

TDI
Octavia TDI 90 ALH
Check out the following link for one possible solution. Cheers
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=334241
That's brilliant!

After reading through it, instead of a hump hose it seems the slightly better solution would be a 51mm straight silicone hose to join both the pancake pipe and the metal end of the OEM hose together...? With obviously decent hose clips to hold it all together.

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That should work just as well. Unfortunately, I have an early 2000 Golf, which uses the same small turbo outlet hose and pancake pipe as the 1999.5 Golf. The hose is small enough that it fits inside of the pancake pipe inlet. I have to get an adapter or the later ALH outlet pipe to make this work for my Golf.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
ever find out a solution?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I just turned a nipple on my lathe and welded it on to the pancake pipe.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
One look into the compressor outlet of the VNT-15 tells you that the restriction of that pancake pipe isn't the worst thing obstructing flow in the system. Not by a long shot.

Just saying.