power increase 1.6 td

dieselcrawler

TDI
1.6td jetta

I am picking up an 85 jetta tomorrow I am going to rebuild the engine what can I do to get more power out of it without spending a lot on it since diesel.net is down i dont know where to look for advice
Thanks
Bucko

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
First be sure everything is running according to OEM specs including injection timing, injectors, and brakes. Then you can turn up the fuel pressure some for some free power.

-Jason

dieselcrawler

TDI
1.6td jetta
i was thinking arp head studs and i herd there is a metal gasket from another vw diesel you can use that will take more boost is this true if so what model

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
You can get the fuel pump rebuilt by these guys Performance diesel injection , this is probably the largest power upgrade. There may also be different injectors that fit, IIRC, there are merecedes injectors fit. If it is a turbo, you could look at upgraded turbos. If you are rebuilding the engine you can probably do some porting and valve work, as well as a bored out cylinders for a small increase in displacement and compression.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I am picking up an 85 jetta tomorrow I am going to rebuild the engine what can I do to get more power out of it without spending a lot on it since diesel.net is down i dont know where to look for advice
Thanks
Bucko
It wouldn't happen to be white, would it? I ask because I sold my '85 Jetta turbodiesel to someone in Wisconsin a few years back and it was white. That would be something if it were the same car! Mine had about 280,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My opinion is that you can't get much more power over stock and have the car stay reliable.

But if you can increase the boost pressure any (via a turbo upgrade) (and bump up the fueling) you can add an intercooler. These engines run about 10 psi of boost, max.

--Nate

Last edited:

dieselcrawler

TDI
1.6td jetta
It wouldn't happen to be white, would it? I ask because I sold my '85 Jetta turbodiesel to someone in Wisconsin a few years back and it was white. That would be something if it were the same car! Mine had about 280,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My opinion is that you can't get much more power over stock and have the car stay reliable.

But if you can increase the boost pressure any (via a turbo upgrade) (and bump up the fueling) you can add an intercooler. These engines run about 10 psi of boost, max.

--Nate
here is a pic if it helps lol do you rember the vin number? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180557921505&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

are you from ohio? thats where the previouse owner from the guy i got it from is from

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Dude if that's yours, you have a lot of work to do before you even start at looking at performance upgrades.

Regardless of that, they're sweet cars! My 91 is still trucking along, and it's pretty quick, too.

For some cheap power once you get it all back together, do a custom downpipe and a 2.5" straight through exhaust. Bump up the fuel pump a little bit, too. Not too much as that will raise your EGTs and it will smoke a lot. For bigger power, do an intercooler and a VNT17 turbo. :cool:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
here is a pic if it helps lol do you rember the vin number? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180557921505&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

are you from ohio? thats where the previouse owner from the guy i got it from is from
No, I live in Northern Virginia. Your "new" '85 Jetta TD was not mine. There is a lot different about it, for one, I had different alloy wheels and the odometer on mine read 280,000. I have pictures of mine in my photo album on the TDI Club. Mine needed an engine overhaul (ran well, but burned a quart of oil every 350 miles), but other than that, it was very clean, no rust or dents, and everything worked on it, including the A/C. I got $1500 for it on e-Bay.

--Nate

Last edited: