Inter cooler upgrade

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
So I upgraded to the CR170 turbo and stage III Malone tune. Would it be beneficial to upgrade from OEM to dark side development intercooler. Is there any pros or cons. Or should or could I stay with the OEM. My mods are in my sig.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Only realistic pro is losing the crap clip connections. Take some intake air temp logs and I'm sure you will the the stock one is not stressed at this power level.

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Only realistic pro is losing the crap clip connections. Take some intake air temp logs and I'm sure you will the the stock one is not stressed at this power level.
Ok.. How can I check the air temp logs. I do have the VCDS cable. Can you tell me where I can then find them? What range should they be in, looking for low and peak values.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Right now isn't a very good time to be checking your intercooler for efficiency, it's cold as balls out, a tiny intercooler'll do a good job.

Once it gets hot out, log your MAF, MAP, and intake air temperature, you'll see a point where the MAF will drop relative to the MAP, you'll probably notice the IAT coming up alongside that drop, that's when you want more intercooler.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
When I had RC2 I did a test logging fueling at full throttle with stock intercooler: Fueling held at 52 for 6 seconds and then slowly dropped to 35. If you want to hold full power you need a nice FMIC. I reran the test with RC4 and the fueling does not change. Of course I stopped the test at 120 mph as I was running out of road.