Malone Stage 1 on an auto OM1 ALH?

dpetrzelka

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
Do any of you have a Stage 1 tune on an OM1 Automatic MK4 TDI?

I know the OM1 transmissions are considered a weak point in an automatic MK4's and wondering if I'm just asking for trouble doing any tuning to this Golf. With regular transmission fluid/filter changes, and moderate driving will this pairing be ok?

I have a daily commute of about 60 miles, and am looking for optimal MPG, with a HP/Torque boost being a nice to have. This is a daily driver, not a sports car for me.

Any thoughts?

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Do it, you will be just fine. Don't listen to opinion givers who have never even owned one. They hold far more power than a stage 1 tune. There is an additional upgrade/longevity fix for them as well, pm me if I can help.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I have it on a manual. Love it. Nice increase from stock. Changed the whole sound of the exhaust too.

my1998tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Bora
Do it, you will be just fine. Don't listen to opinion givers who have never even owned one. They hold far more power than a stage 1 tune. There is an additional upgrade/longevity fix for them as well, pm me if I can help.
Could you PM me the info about the upgrade/fix?

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
We've done a bunch of Malone tunes on 01M's without issues. Where in the NW are you?
Cheers,
-BB

dpetrzelka

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
I'm up north of Seattle, but am between PDX and Skagit County quite often.

Flashzilla is one option I've considered.

dpetrzelka

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
PM sent - interested in hearing more about the upgrade/longevity fix.

Jpvwautohaus

TDI
2002 and 2003 std swaps
do it! wakes the car up so much. with a good working actuator the cars got great power to get up and go.

dpetrzelka

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
I'm going to try to do a transmission filter/fluid change this weekend, to be sure everything is fresh and in good order.

BuzzKen - do you have any recommendations for the additional upgrade/longevity fix while I'm in there, or before I do a tune?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
How many miles on the 01M?
I'm pretty sure BuzzKen is referring to a valve body rebuild which is available
from a few vendors. A favorite here is CoolAirVW who also provides much info.
At around 150,000 miles or so there can be significant wear in the valve body
which results in flaring and/or slipping in some gears and, ultimately, failure.
Be sure to read up on the fluid change procedure and have a VCDS handy.
Drivbiwire has a very thorough post in the maintenance stickies.

dpetrzelka

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
The golf has about 110k on it. The auto transmission was serviced at least once before I bought it (maybe more). I just changes the differential oil, and plan to do a fluid and filter change on the OM1 in the next week or two to be sure everything is fresh.

Should I consider a preemptive valve body rebuild as I get a little closer to 150K? Or do you wait for specific symptoms before a valve body rebuild?

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Mine is holding up great with a stage 3.
You should be good with stage 1. BuzzKen and BleachedBora both had a hand in it. I love it. Do it, man! :)

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The golf has about 110k on it. The auto transmission was serviced at least once before I bought it (maybe more). I just changes the differential oil, and plan to do a fluid and filter change on the OM1 in the next week or two to be sure everything is fresh.
Should I consider a preemptive valve body rebuild as I get a little closer to 150K? Or do you wait for specific symptoms before a valve body rebuild?
First, read everything that CoolAirVW has posted about the symptoms and what
a valve body rebuild can and can't achieve.
If you want to keep your O1M healthy, act when you have those symptoms but
before you get a lot of friction material in the filter and pan.
I am still living with my O1M about 2-3 years and 40K miles since I first noticed
some flaring and slipping and it's getting worse @ 160K miles but I'll be
swapping in a manual when the time comes.

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I have been testing some tunes on my 2002 Jetta Duel Fuel CNG test car.
The stage 1 work fine . With the CNG system programmed right now it adds another 50 HP on top of the Stage 1 tune. The transmission has been working great and holding up well.
You may wish to recode the transmission to sport mode it just pulls a bit longer before shifts. I would think if you plan on running it hard I would upgrade your valve body now.
Bob Mann