Dual chamber intake tdi

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Hello,

Im bussy with a dual chamber intake mainfold.
My interest in the intake design is to even the air stream to all the cylinders.
and also a wave effect to get a ram in it.
The long runners from the 1Y 450mm is perfect to tdi rpm range.

the things I'm using to built

intake mainfold from a 1.9 D 1Y
alu tube 135mm dia. 350mm long this is the large plenium. approx. 5 L.
tapper alu tube with 10mm gap to fill the large plenium.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/1089173...6100827479703077074&oid=108917392344342499586

after welding and new cam nps stage 2
Im going for a dyno

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
That would be realy nice. What you think about the dual chamber i make ?

numbnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 golf
is this going in the lupo? I would love a similar one in the mk1 pd tdi i am building but i don't think there is enough room in the bay, its kind of tight in there

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Hi Mk-1 83, are you going to locate MAP/IAT sensor in large manifold? (end of tank furthest from incoming air) It might give most accurate reading for better turbo control.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Any one give advise on this dual chamber im open for improvments to make.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Nice choice, should work very well. I started with a similar manifold but modded it somewhat differently without the dual chamber, seems to work well for my setup.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Nice jetboat engine . You also use the 1Y mainfold how its running now ?

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Solidworks with flow works is your best answer....

I played with some designs in solidworks, these not the most accurate as it assume flow to all cylinder at all times it doesn't take into account for pulsation from the valves opening and closing, harmonics, etc.
I did these when i was 1st learning how to use Flow works. the goal was even flow.

iirc i did this at 30psi @63lbs/min
initial design no louvers, cylinder #2 (left) got the most flow cylinder #1 had the lowest flow

added louvers to get more even air flow across the cylinders

adjusted port dimensions for TDI/VW head added built in Velocity stacks... kind not the best V stack design

I'm no expert i just ventured into this for a design after playing with it for an intake for FSAE

Last edited:

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
"Nice jetboat engine . You also use the 1Y mainfold how its running now ?"

It's out of the water for the winter now, but it ran great all summer. Much thanks to Ruben for that, he's got the tune pretty much perfect for my use. Great guy and awesome tuner. Really like the gtb2056vl turbo too. Have the Kinugawa billet wheel in it that Alcaid has linked to in some of his posts and it seems to work very well. Quick spool, along with good emp/egt ratio and low egt's. Running right around 30psi of boost at typical cruise.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Really like the gtb2056vl turbo too. Have the Kinugawa billet wheel in it that Alcaid has linked to in some of his posts and it seems to work very well. Quick spool, along with good emp/egt ratio and low egt's. Running right around 30psi of boost at typical cruise.
Did you also run it with the stock cast wheel and noted the difference in operating parameters? Able to spool it faster without surge if you did any further adjustments to the tune etc? Billet wheel is still on the shelf here even though I have a spare CHRA to build up for a quick swap.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Ran it for a couple of seasons on the stock wheel before putting the billet wheel in. I think it may spool a little quicker with the billet, but kind of hard to be sure as I put a new tune from Ruben in at the same time as the wheel change, and adjusted the stop screw a little as well. The vl seems to be a pretty quick spooling turbo even with the stock wheel. Have never had any surge issues with either wheel or with the bv50 I was running previously. That may have somewhat to do with the nature of a jetdrive though, as the drive has a fixed rpm based power absorbtion curve, so unlike a car it is impossible to load it really hard at low rpm's. The load is always directly proportional to the cube of the rpm.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
The one thing i would suggest, i will try to find the info to back it up, is to have the inlet plenum tapper (get smaller/reduce volume) as it get further away from the inlet.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
So, just to have this explained more:
The purpose of such a design for the intake is to evenly coerce the charge/air stream to change direction and to evenly distribute between the cylinders, correct?

ForestTDI

TDI
Golf IV Variant ASZ | Touran BKD | Passat B5.5 AVF 4MOTION
Nice choice, should work very well. I started with a similar manifold but modded it somewhat differently without the dual chamber, seems to work well for my setup.

May I know what is it manifold sourced from? Thank you in advance.