REVO Software Installed Today

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Forge Motorsports installed it. Took less than an hour for them to remove the ECU upload the software, clear a couple codes and send me on my way.

I have heard others say they couldn't tell their car was chipped. Not sure why. There's absolutely a difference. I would compare this TDi to my previous 2002 GTI 337 1.8 20V when it was stock with more torque.

I stopped by David Mauss VW to have the car aligned (because of lowering it Saturday) and the Internet Sales Manager has a 2011 TDI JSW. I gave him a ride and he's pretty impressed. Think he's going to get his done.

The downside is that I feel like I'm in a sporty Golf and have been heavier footed all day today. Love it!

Guys at Forge were professional and great to deal with.

Scott

Last edited:

JZoidberg

Veteran Member
TDI
11 Golf
Very cool. Your cars looking good. I'd love to get a program, but I think I'll wait till the warranty is up.

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Very cool. Your cars looking good. I'd love to get a program, but I think I'll wait till the warranty is up.
25% discount.....A good friend hooked me up.

I have the VW factory extended warranty and I'm pretty confident I won't have any issues. I used to race in SCCA and Instruct high speed driving with a service writer at one of the Orlando dealerships and have always taken care of the techs working on my cars in the past.

I typically order a couple large pizzas for the techs and service writers, whenever I have my car serviced. It's pretty amazing what $20.00 worth of pizza will get you.

I've done this for over 10 years. To VW, Mercedes, Hyundai, etc.....They really appreciate it.

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Glad to hear you are loving the software.

Until I am knighted a vendor I will refrain from answering anything that could be perceived as selling but I did want to clear up that the software works for both DSG and manual applications. Currently there is no software for the DSG itself for any diesel application but it is hopefully being worked on.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Would love to see some VCDS logs to compare/contrast with the Malone. Specifically, I'm curious to see the fuel rail pressure curve. Revo's always had a good reputation and I was originally planning on doing their tune on my car, but the local vendor I went to flaked and refuses to tune TDI's anymore. Glad your experience is better.

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Would love to see some VCDS logs to compare/contrast with the Malone. Specifically, I'm curious to see the fuel rail pressure curve. Revo's always had a good reputation and I was originally planning on doing their tune on my car, but the local vendor I went to flaked and refuses to tune TDI's anymore. Glad your experience is better.
I gave some serious consideration To Malone's software. Even so far as to consider removing the DPF so I could go with his stage 2 flash.
But, with Forge right here in Orlando and having been around for quite a while, it seemed to make more sense to go this route. Understand, if the dealer updates my ECU and I went with Malone, I would have to ship my ECU back to him to be re-flashed. Same scenario with REVO and I just drive over and have the guys at Forge take care of it in less than an hour.

Plus, I think 60% of REVO software sales in Europe are for TDi's. So I felt pretty safe with their experience in the diesel realm of tuning.

I'm curios to know what gains I would get with the REVO flash and the removal of the DPF. That thing has to restrict the flow of exhaust gases substantially. I bet the turbo would spool up quicker with it gone.

I have a friend with a stock mk5 GTI and my manager has a 2003 A4 1.8t. I will do a couple runs with these guys in the next couple of weeks and post the results. At least you will have an idea of where a chipped TDi stands compared to a stock GTI.

Scott

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
I should add, Malone came highly recommended to me and I have no doubt his software for our cars is plenty capable. Plus the guy does custom stuff all the time, so he must have a pretty good clue to tuning a TDi.

This was really a logistical decision for me.

Scott

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Our current flash is going to be very different from what Malone offers due to there being a big difference in power.

The V1 software we are selling right now is based around factory EGT limits for the region which are different then the limits in other regions. If you are going to stay within these limits and still maintain full factory safety features (will pull power if egts rise too quickly) you are limited on total power out put.

We advertise currently about 20-25hp and 55-60 ftlbs of torque with this software. If you tried to make 30hp and 65 ft/lbs of torque while maintaining all the factory safety controls and egt limits you would make that for one run and then on the next run the car would make stock power. Wait a half hour it will do one run at 30hp and a second at stock power. What we tuned for was the max one could maintain doing numerous back to back runs under high load (trying to simulate a long hilly max power situation) and it would not pull back to stock.

This by no means is saying that others are doing anything unsafe. The egt limits in other regions are much higher and if you use those limits you can make more power. Our initial/current offering was meant to sell to anyone who wanted to make a little more power and retain stock egt limits. We have in testing our V2 tuning that will make more power but requires us to raise the actual limit slightly. All of the factory safety features are retained that will allow the vehicle to pull back power output if EGTs rise too quickly or get too high. This software will be something more comparable to many of our competitors who came out with higher hp tunes then we first sold.

The good news is so far all current ecus on the market allow for us to fit 4 different files. The vehicles we have testing the V2 software around the country all have a file capable of switching between stock, our current V1 25/60 software, our V2 higher output software, and an anti theft mode that disables the vehicle even if someone has the key. You can go between any of the 4 programs on the fly, although we really don't recommend that you do it while moving :).

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Hey I know our exhausts are really restricted by cats and our notorious D.P.F. but you hear any increase in exhaust sound? Or sounds stock?

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Chris, That's exciting news.....I'm in when it's released! I guess I need to get an SPS switch, or whatever they are called.

Stuckinneutral: I have a open air intake aka hot air intake, and now I hear the turbo spooling up and the whooshing sound when lifting off the throttle.

I do not have a rear muffler. in place of the rear muffler is straight pipes to a dual tip (GTI style) exit. The car has no exhaust note. It sounds exactly as it did stock. Honestly, I'm not even sure why VW installs a rear muffler on this car.

Chris, keep me updated! Is Osmun on this site too? if not, let him know I'm a customer for the V2 release, once it's available.

Scott

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
Hot air intake? Is that a cold air with holes drilled? More info would be appreciated ;) thanks for the quick reply.

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
I was being sarcastic. I have a Neuspeed P-Flow. Not truly a "cold air intake" like APR's TDI intake.

Scott

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I gave some serious consideration To Malone's software. Even so far as to consider removing the DPF so I could go with his stage 2 flash.
But, with Forge right here in Orlando and having been around for quite a while, it seemed to make more sense to go this route. Understand, if the dealer updates my ECU and I went with Malone, I would have to ship my ECU back to him to be re-flashed. Same scenario with REVO and I just drive over and have the guys at Forge take care of it in less than an hour.

Plus, I think 60% of REVO software sales in Europe are for TDi's. So I felt pretty safe with their experience in the diesel realm of tuning.

I'm curios to know what gains I would get with the REVO flash and the removal of the DPF. That thing has to restrict the flow of exhaust gases substantially. I bet the turbo would spool up quicker with it gone.

I have a friend with a stock mk5 GTI and my manager has a 2003 A4 1.8t. I will do a couple runs with these guys in the next couple of weeks and post the results. At least you will have an idea of where a chipped TDi stands compared to a stock GTI.

Scott
No, that makes perfect sense. That was the same logic I used, but, like I said, the local vendor flaked out on me, so I went with Malone. I did run the Stage 2 with a DPF for a while. The delete was optional, and actually unavailable at the time. The improvements you get from the delete would be better mileage and lower EGT's.

Our current flash is going to be very different from what Malone offers due to there being a big difference in power.

The V1 software we are selling right now is based around factory EGT limits for the region which are different then the limits in other regions. If you are going to stay within these limits and still maintain full factory safety features (will pull power if egts rise too quickly) you are limited on total power out put.

We advertise currently about 20-25hp and 55-60 ftlbs of torque with this software. If you tried to make 30hp and 65 ft/lbs of torque while maintaining all the factory safety controls and egt limits you would make that for one run and then on the next run the car would make stock power. Wait a half hour it will do one run at 30hp and a second at stock power. What we tuned for was the max one could maintain doing numerous back to back runs under high load (trying to simulate a long hilly max power situation) and it would not pull back to stock.

This by no means is saying that others are doing anything unsafe. The egt limits in other regions are much higher and if you use those limits you can make more power. Our initial/current offering was meant to sell to anyone who wanted to make a little more power and retain stock egt limits. We have in testing our V2 tuning that will make more power but requires us to raise the actual limit slightly. All of the factory safety features are retained that will allow the vehicle to pull back power output if EGTs rise too quickly or get too high. This software will be something more comparable to many of our competitors who came out with higher hp tunes then we first sold.

The good news is so far all current ecus on the market allow for us to fit 4 different files. The vehicles we have testing the V2 software around the country all have a file capable of switching between stock, our current V1 25/60 software, our V2 higher output software, and an anti theft mode that disables the vehicle even if someone has the key. You can go between any of the 4 programs on the fly, although we really don't recommend that you do it while moving :).
That was actually one of the things I was interested in. To see if fuel pressure and EGTs were in the stock range. I made sure that Malone was not exceeding stock fuel pressure because I don't trust the HPFP enough to add more stress, and EGT's are still in the stock range as well. There's 1 psi of boost over stock and it seems to be that Malone did the whole tune with just injection window and by getting rid of torque limiting and adjusting the smoke threshold. This is supposition based on data logging rather than first hand knowledge.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
I was being sarcastic. I have a Neuspeed P-Flow. Not truly a "cold air intake" like APR's TDI intake.
Scott
I thought the neuspeed p-flow was a cold air intake? Did you only modify it for fitment? Any reason you didn't go Carbonio/APR?

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Hey I know our exhausts are really restricted by cats and our notorious D.P.F. but you hear any increase in exhaust sound? Or sounds stock?
Most of the cars I have dealt with have been 100% stock other than the software.

I was present for the Eurotuner magazine testing with our software and that car had an intake and exhaust. Due to the restrictions you noted the sound was slightly deeper (nicer?) and a little louder but still well muted due to the dpf.

I'm not going to say the intake and exhaust didn't make any gains but for our testing the gains over a stock car and the gains over the car with the intake and exhaust were the same. This is similar to what we see in the gas cars, if you replace the cat back and put on an intake you may see for example 5hp. The gains with the software vs a stock car would still be call it 40hp. Now if you put a downpipe on a car you may see 15hp without software compared to a bone stock car. Add software and you may now see 45 instead of the 40. The combination of less restrictive hardware and software together made for the greatest gains while the combination of the intake and cat back added no value to each other in regards to hp gains.

The same seems to be true with a DPF/cat delete in these applications when used in conjuction with software they make more than the two individual gains combined.

Chris, That's exciting news.....I'm in when it's released! I guess I need to get an SPS switch, or whatever they are called.

Chris, keep me updated! Is Osmun on this site too? if not, let him know I'm a customer for the V2 release, once it's available.

Scott
We will be sure to keep everyone posted. George is still with us but right now I think I am the only one who is checking in here periodically. We try to keep most of our forum presence to supporting our customers and community in general if we happen to be able to help and not so much sales. George is mostly in sales and I am mostly in support so you'll find my outspoken butt on most of the forums, I'm a little too blunt for sales :D. That and I'm the only one really into diesels out of this office.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Chris that's some useful information. Seems like we get shafted with intake and catback exhaust modifications, they cost just as much for any kind of car but seems like less of an "upgrade" for our engines. Your reply actually helped me make a decision between driver gear springs and an intake,though I would love to hear that woosh sound more, but i can hear it a bit stock when sliding off the throttle at higher rpms.

By any chance do any of you think it is a bad idea to remove the foam sound dampener on the hood? Two things I'm worried about 1. Louder idle 2. Hood heat, more the latter since I have dark paint.

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
I thought the neuspeed p-flow was a cold air intake? Did you only modify it for fitment? Any reason you didn't go Carbonio/APR?

I think they may call it a "cold air intake" but IMO, any filter that sucks air from the engine compartment couldn't possibly be a cold air intake....
I really only got it because the guys that installed my springs happen to have one in stock and gave me a deal on it since I was there getting the springs installed.

I didn't know of the APR intake until just yesterday....If I would have known, I absolutely would have gone that route. I still might, since it is a true cold air intake. The downside to it would be the loss of spooling noise because it's an enclosed box....

I had APR's Stage III kit, & APR FMIC on my GTI 337. I used the stock air box in that car, with the stage III, if that tells you any thing about aftermarket intakes........

Scott

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
In Toeballs thread he said he could hear his apr intake over his exhaust and his exhaust is loud. Toeball can you chime in on spooling noise vs intake sucking noise with your setup? Any thoughts on removing the hood dampener scottisha?

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
In Toeballs thread he said he could hear his apr intake over his exhaust and his exhaust is loud. Toeball can you chime in on spooling noise vs intake sucking noise with your setup? Any thoughts on removing the hood dampener scottisha?
Hood dampener?

Scott

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Well, for the exhaust, I did a video to get a rough idea of how much smoke I put out. Seems only to be visible for a sec so it's not too bad, especially since to get rid of it I'd need to upgrade the turbo. It's also 100 degrees F when I shot this which makes the car smoke more. I'll do a second vid tomorrow from the front so you can hear the intake more clearly, but there's sort of a snarling noise you can hear in addition to the exhaust rumble and turbo whistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_hyRwRaPHg

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Toeball,

Thanks for the video....So, in this video, you're running the down pipe, not cat and no DPF and then no muffler?

Just want to make sure I understand what you have done.

Chris, does your software allow for removal of the DPF? and if it does, will I have a CEL or any other warning light on my dash?

I think your exhaust sounds pretty good Toe!

Scott

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Well, for the exhaust, I did a video to get a rough idea of how much smoke I put out. Seems only to be visible for a sec so it's not too bad, especially since to get rid of it I'd need to upgrade the turbo. It's also 100 degrees F when I shot this which makes the car smoke more. I'll do a second vid tomorrow from the front so you can hear the intake more clearly, but there's sort of a snarling noise you can hear in addition to the exhaust rumble and turbo whistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_hyRwRaPHg
That really is not bad at all in regards to the smoke and I love the sound. My cummins is just so loud and vibrates so much I can't hear the turbo even with the top down.

Also as our main diesel tuner said last week, "If it isn't smoking at least a little I'm not doing my job." :)

chris@revotechnik

TDI
By any chance do any of you think it is a bad idea to remove the foam sound dampener on the hood? Two things I'm worried about 1. Louder idle 2. Hood heat, more the latter since I have dark paint.
I personally remove them on all my cars, I don't know why but they just seem to get beat up and ugly really fast so it is cleaner to take them down.

It will be a little louder but should help you hear the turbo a little bit more, I haven't heard a 2.0cr before and after but the noise increase on the 2.0 tsi/fsi is not that great.

Heat in my experience is no issue. I have upgraded turbos both in my mk4 1.8t and A3 2.0t without any problems. My A3 runs a tubular manifold that sits up about 6" higher than the stock manifold, has no heatshield and no intake over it like it would stock and I have no problems with the paint. The car is black so hard to get darker but there is no discoloring or fading in the ~40K that manifold has been on there.

This was when it was being mocked up but you can clearly see how much higher it sits and I have no issues:

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Chris, does your software allow for removal of the DPF? and if it does, will I have a CEL or any other warning light on my dash?
All of our current software V1 and V2 in testing in the US requires the use of the DPF. We do have testing going on in other parts of the world in vehicles with the DPF removed which could be adapted to this region but currently is not for sale.

WISVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Chris,

I am coming to Atlanta for business mid September. Can I get flashed right at your headquarters? That would really give me piece of mind.

Thanks

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Chris,

I am coming to Atlanta for business mid September. Can I get flashed right at your headquarters? That would really give me piece of mind.

Thanks

Yes, this is really sort of just a support center but we do retail sales on occasion with appointments so that would not be a problem assuming we are here to do it.

We are about 40 minutes north of the city up 85 and about 20 minutes south of road atlanta.

Give us a ring or drop me an email a few weeks out so we can set something up.

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
So, to make sure I understand this, removing the sound dampener is to help with heat build-up?

Let's say I remove my DPF right now...Am I going to throw codes?
Will my VAG-COM be able to disable anything to stop these codes, if thrown?

Chris, when does REVO anticipate the release of version 2? You say it's being run in some test cars (beta)......what's the typical test/tune time until software is available?

Thanks,

Scott