Looks like I'm coming back to the dark side, or is it the bright side?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I have loved every one of the 21,000 miles I've put on my '08 R32 since getting it last September, but I've also missed my previous TDI and the MUCH better mpg it gave. So, come the end of November (that's the ETA at this point anyway) I'll take delivery of a 6-speed manual '09 TDI, platinum gray/art gray with sunroof, navigation, mat kit and 17" Avignons. High insurance costs, coupled with an expensive car and high gas costs makes the R32 less than practical for an almost 100 mile a day commute. Throw in the $1300 tax credit for the '09 TDI and it makes a lot of financial sense to trade the R32. I'm looking forward to coming back to the quirky and fun TDI family!

Crazy Jetta TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
as an owner of an fuel hungry Charger SRT8 I can appreciate what you are saying. With my car getting 18mpg on a good day coupled with 3.90 a gallon for premium (and the higher insurance, maintenance, and cost to own) its a wonder I ever take it out for a drive. Oh well gotta have some fun in life I spose. But, it makes me appreciate the fuel economy of the TDi even more. BTW welcome back

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
You have made just one mistake: you should have kept the whole rear suspension from the R :p

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
maloosheck said:
You have made just one mistake: you should have kept the whole rear suspension from the R :p
The rear suspension is the same except for spring rates and shocks. Perhaps you're referring to the AWD hardware?

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Perhaps. The R32 is a completely different car from the Jetta TDI and I know that. If I could justify having two cars, I would do it but I'm going to be at my current job for at least the next 4 years and 20,000+ miles a year adds up quick. Gas, maintenance and insurance combined are borderline absurd for the R32, not so with the TDI. I'll give up two cylinders and AWD for more money in my pocket. That way I can pursue my Master's, travel more and do some more remodeling.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
What I was trying to say is TDI torque is begging for AWD. VW should have considered AWD version of JSW. I would trade my car next day.