Headlights randomaly stopped working

Blackjedi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5 speed 1.9 alh tdi
Headlights randomly stoped working, lights were fine when I parked it, no flickering or anything abnormal of the sort. Then when I started it the next day headlights would not come on. Can hear them switch between high and low beams like normal. These are hid headlights. I'm not going to pay for another ballast or something if they died, what do the stock connections look like on these mk4 jetta look like? If the ballast or something died I will just replace the HiDs with the old stock bulbs. Also where should I start looking or testing to see if I can get the lights to come back on? Thanks in advance for any information!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
The likelihood of both ballasts or bulbs going out at the same time is like winning the lottery! Sounds like a fuse or worse case some wires got damaged (possibly from a hungry rodent).

Pull the plug that goes into the ballast and test for voltage coming from the car's plug with a multimeter. If power then possibly the ballast or bulb. Check both sides and see what you come up with.

If no power, check the fuses.

See this post for some help on the fuses:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=250717