Advice wanted re:connecting to switched 12V

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I want to wire my Dashcam into the cars switched 12 volt. Can someone tell me where it is easiest to do so in my 2015 Passat. I really do not want to tear the dash apart, the simpler the better. My Dashcam is a A118C which is semi permanently mounted on the windshield by the rear view mirror, not suction cupped.

I may be wrong, but I do not think that there is a switched 12 V in the overhead light and sunroof area. Is there???
Thx

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just ran mine down to the 12v outlet in front of the shifter.

I know you said you didn't want to tear the dash apart (though it's not really that hard). Plus I like having mine on the power outlet fuse.

I have the Viofo A119S and I love it.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I just wired my dash cam and radar detector last week. The easiest thing to do is use an add a fuse in the fuse box on the drivers side, it opens with a trim tool or screwdriver (careful not to scratch). There is a single piece of trim to remove, I found that the top row of smaller fuses is switched. My car had an open fuse space, so I utilized it. The wire can be run up the pillar and tucked into the headliner relatively easily. I was running three wires, so I pulled the pillar trim and zip tied the wires to the existing overhead console harness. I installed an extra telephone cable in case I ever swap radar detectors from Radenso to Excort or Uniden.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fixmy59bug
That's basically what I'm doing now, plugged into the 12 volt outlet. I also have a 4 outlet 12 volt splitter plugged in there for a Garmin GPS and a Beltronics. I hardly ever use the built in Navigation system since it's difficult to use.
Or are you telling me to somehow wire into the same wiring behind the trim?

BroncoAZ
It's damn cold up here again, so I'll have to wait until it's a bit more comfortable outside to investigate what you're telling me. I do have the trim tools since I needed/wanted them when I replaced all the interior bulbs to LED.

Thanks both;)

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes,

I removed the center console trim and the "storage pocket" in front of the shifter and wired my dash cam into the wiring connector of the power outlet.

No tools necessary to do so. Except for soldering iron to attach the wires to the electrical connector terminals.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
I've had the A118C for a little over a year and it's a great cam. Mine is powered from the fuse panel, wire is ran up the A-pillar and tucked into the headliner. Simple install, and easily reversible if you ever need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Grab power from the auto dimming mirror harness. It's on switched power. -J
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. The headliner and the A pillars don't allow for a wire, they're a tight fit.