Doors auto lock all the time

Navydoc76

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
Good Evening all,
I have a 2013 TDI SEL. The last week my doors auto lock everytime I stop and go. I’ve switched key fobs and the same thing. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but help would be appreciated as it is very annoying. If this has been answered before a link to that thread would be very helpful.
Thank you,
Navydoc

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
yes, at 10 mph they lock- supper annoying when trying to get the kiddos out for daycare when you pull on a locked handle and have to walk around to the drivers door again in the pouring rain. you can turn this off with VCDS

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
there should be a setting in the MFD that will unlock all doors when one is unlocked. but agreed VCDS should be used to shut off the auto lock.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
The problem lies in your door lock actuator. Most likely, driver's door. I had success by removing the actuator and generously spraying silicone lubricant inside of it. There are threads here to be found (check my post history from last fall).

Navydoc76

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
JRM, even in stop and go traffic mine will relock. So on my way to work my locks relock every time I stop at a light, sit in traffic, slow down to make a turn or whatever else will cause me to slow below 10mph. Once I speed up over 10 mph they will relock again.

Navydoc76

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
Roni024 thanks for the recommendation I will have to try that this weekend and let you all know how it went.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Are you having a problem when you hit the unlock button, a door doesn't unlock? or just the auto unlock?

coding will fix that auto lock, best mod, right up there windows down with the remote

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It sounds like your door lock actuator switch has failed.

Look at the door lock button. Do you see an orange light showing the doors are locked?

I believe the switch has failed which makes the CECM think the door is always unlocked, so everytime you move, it tries to lock the doors.

If you dont see the orangle "locked" symbol on the door lock switch, it is most likely your door latch.

Navydoc76

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
Everything works fine when using the touch sensors outside the car. Inside manually locking and unlocking works perfect. FOBs have new batteries as well. The only issue is while driving. Doors lock everytime I pass 10mph. There is no orange light on either front door indicating locked as well.

Would I have to change just the drivers side or both front actuators?

What is a good place/website to order from?

I appreciate everyone’s help.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If you have access to a VCDS, you would need to access each door module to see which one isn't locking.

Or you could try to open the door with the keys still in the house (or outside of the range of the KESSY antenna). Of course, this will trigger the alarm, so you would have to be quick if you don't want to piss off your neighbors.

But... atleast you would know which door isn't locking.

Navydoc76

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
Thanks Fix! Sounds like my neighbors aren’t gonna like much this weekend. I was looking at prices for new door lock actuators and they run about $150-220. Angry neighbors to identify which one is bad is a heck of a lot better than buying all new actuators. Do you have any recommendations on where to get quality parts for our TDIs at decent prices?

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
With some ingenuity, a good mirror, and a flashlight, you can spray lubricant into the actuator (driver's side expecially) without removing it. Are you keeping the car or selling it back to VW? That would weigh heavily in my decision of how to proceed.

Navydoc76

TDI
2013 TDI SEL
This morning I tested the locks as Fix suggested and identified that the front passenger door does not lock. Gonna find a lock actuator to replace it with. I have been wanting to replace the stock speakers in the doors as well so it will all be done at the same time.

Roni - I opted to keep my Passat and have already done the upgraded emissions. No major change in mileage since then. I just passed 37K miles and only issues I have had are this lock actuator and the sunroof will not open all the way. It still opens all the way to the last setting on the fail but you can turn past the last stop and it should open all the way but for some reason does not.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Here's a tip before you remove the door trim: Have 3-4 trim clips available. A couple will definitely break when you remove the panel.

As for your sunroof (moonroof, in this case) there is a manual operation outlined in your owner's manual. I'd start there to determine if the problem is electrical or mechanical.