If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I may get two cars: something cheap/simple/reliable for a daily commuter, and something fun for the evenings, weekends, etc.

Thinking Honda Fit with the CVT for A==>B (wife would be happy ), and a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited with the 6 speed manual (wife can't drive it, so I'm happy).

This is what I am doing - no more new cars for me. Wife doesn't drive a manual, and having kids, I don't want to ever get stuck where she can't drive my car, so I have to get an auto trans also. However, if I snag a cheap used Mini with auto trans as a backup car (wife will be happy), that will allow me to get a used manual beater as my car (me happy).

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Would love to stay with VW, if they make it worthwhile. Maybe a GTI. If not, maybe a used Jeep Wrangler and I pocket the extra cash. ;)

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
Just found out that Audi is in fact shipping A4's with a 6mt for the second half of 2016. If only they were offering the 2017 sportback though, such a sick car. Ive looked everywhere and keep coming back to VWAG cars. I really wish I could find something else I wanted to drive right now but all other hatches on the market looks ugly as hell to me.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.....an A4 w/6M - great!............where can I initiate a quick search for further information?

ez

da_jokker

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I thought about a passat but I just don't think vw are that dependable long term. The TDI sort of had a niche but once that is out of the picture, just dont see a product I'd be excited about.

95%, sure I'll be moving to a 2017 Mazda 3 S GT.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
.....an A4 w/6M - great!............where can I initiate a quick search for further information?

ez
It's only been spattered about the internet so take with a grain of salt of course. Hopefully Audi reported this accurately to the media outlets regurgitating the info. Here's a few blurbs from a quick search. I'm sure you can find more.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/reviews/a27422/the-first-drive-2017-audi-a4-the-savior/

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/16/2017-audi-a4-quattro-second-drive-review/

It's funny to me that these car reviewers often say they don't see what a manual improves, why it isn't really needed, or doesn't get a better 0-60 time. I guess they're just getting lazier as time goes on? What about the fact that a manual is just more fun to drive! I'm not trying to knock a few seconds off my lap times or take it down the quarter mile. I just want my long commute and other driving experiences to me more interactive and enjoyable.

sarahspins

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
What about the fact that a manual is just more fun to drive! I'm not trying to knock a few seconds off my lap times or take it down the quarter mile. I just want my long commute and other driving experiences to me more interactive and enjoyable.
I'm a girl and I agree... I will always opt for a manual over any kind of automatic :)

Car shopping was SUPER frustrating for me two years ago because even then finding anything decent with a MT was almost impossible... now there are even fewer options, however the Golf AllTrack coming out next year is tempting... unless they release it without any kind of tow rating at all. If that happens I may strongly consider just keeping my TDI.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Jetta hybrid or cruze diesel....Jetta hybrid doesn't seem promising though since a lot of reviews and drivers can't seem to get anywhere near the EPA highway figures :-/
I thought I heard the Jetta Hybrid was to be discontinued..

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
shopping and looking for 335D, cant get used to driving gasser I am a diesel head I just hate gassers period

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
I drive 120 to 140 miles each day.

In no particular order:

1) Subaru Outback
2) Subaru Forester 6-speed
3) Honda Fit EX 6-speed
4) VW GSW

-Honda has great highway fuel economy, but, reports of highway driving comfort are dismal. I will have to drive and see for myself. I love honda reliability and the flexible cargo configurations the fit has to offer. Also, 6-speed manual is nice just because.

-I drove a '15 Outback yesterday and loved it. The CVT surprised me in a good way, and it was surprisingly responsive to the flappy paddles. I'll be able to do a thorough highway test drive soon, but I see no way it wouldn't meet the EPA rating.

-Subaru Forester. Haven't driven one, but it still comes in a 6-speed. and MPG is similar, if not the same, as the Outback on the highway.

-VW GSW will be considered if some nice dealer incentives surface.

dshaner

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I drove the 2017 Hyundai Elantra Eco...it has all the features I want and the price is very good. It rides better than my 09 Jetta. The only issue I found is the dual clutch transmission has a little trouble when driving in a parking lot around 10 - 15 mph. I figure switching over to the manual would help with that. A little over $18K + tax and title. The dealer also offers free lifetime power train warranty at no cost.

deuxdiesel

TDI
'12 Golf TDI, 14' Beetle TDI, '16 GTI
I need to replace both our 12 Golf and 14 Beetle, so I am thinking a Fit 6M and a base Tacoma 4 cyl/4wd/5speed. I drove a Mazda 3 5 door with the 2.0 (auto, no manuals at the dealer) and was very impressed by it. The 2.5 6M seems like it would be a great car, but a little more than I want to spend. I too am waiting to see what VW offers as incentives- I know that new GTI's can be had in the low $20K range currently, so hopefully they can sweeten the deal.

14PassatTDISE

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Still doing my research, but here is the list so far,

Used 2014+,
Lexus IS250
Lexus NX200t
Audi A6

Has to be under $30k

adamek

TDI
2002 VW TDI Beetle, 2012 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI
New Car vs Timing Belt (99200 right now)

I drive 120 to 140 miles each day.
In no particular order:
1) Subaru Outback
2) Subaru Forester 6-speed
3) Honda Fit EX 6-speed
4) VW GSW
I drive 80 miles a day. I've got leg problems so no more manual transmissions for me. :(
My wife has a Fit. It doesn't have the leg room I'd like.
I'm thinking
1) Subaru Outback
2) Subaru Forester
3) Honda CR-V
4) Honda HR-V
5) Ford C-Max Hybrid
I'm wondering what time of year is the best to buy a new car.
I'm also wondering about the lifetime of my timing belt. My SportWagen has 99200 miles on it. If I'm doing the buyback I don't want to throw in the cost of a new timing belt.

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I drove the 2017 Hyundai Elantra Eco...it has all the features I want and the price is very good. It rides better than my 09 Jetta. The only issue I found is the dual clutch transmission has a little trouble when driving in a parking lot around 10 - 15 mph. I figure switching over to the manual would help with that. A little over $18K + tax and title. The dealer also offers free lifetime power train warranty at no cost.
I didn't know that the Eco was out. Did you test both the Eco (1.4L) and SE (2.0L)? Does the Eco have enough power?

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
If CA CARB can't fix my Touareg, I did find a suitable replacement with the same 415ft lb of torque! 2016 Chevy SS with a 6 speed manual, 0-60 in under 5 seconds and 14mpg around town. Take that CARB! With the current 20% off MSRP at GM, it makes this beast attractive at around 38k..... We'll see.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
^^^but...it was Dodge Charger...'nuff said.

Bottom line: There's really NOTHING in the marketplace that comes close to the NMS Passat TDI for MPG, size, fit and finish. Yes, it has its limitations, but there's just nothing out there that can return 46-48+ MPG, real world.
BINGO! This is why I won't take the buy-out.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Was going to go back to the JDM world, but in all honesty, I'll just use the money towards a down payment on a home.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
F*ck it, GTI here I come.

Was considering it prior to the scandal anyways.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
One of my co-workers brought up a good point...

I had been considering letting Vw buy my passat back and getting into a new Jeep Wrangler for the days I want to go offroading.

But he asked me "What happens if, while you are offroading, you break something? Then you wouldnt have a car to get to work"

I feel like such a dumba** because I hadn't thought about that. The newer Jeep Wrangler comes with a Dana 30 front axle which is rather insufficient at anything more than just dirt roads. Unless you upgrade to the Rubicon which comes with Dana 40's.

So maybe, after further consideration, I will take Vw's "Keep your car" money and buy a used Jeep. That way I can have something for offroad, something for DD duties, and if one breaks I will always have the other.

I have been so torn because I love my Passat, but I really wanted to get an offroader since I live in the middle of the desert.

Gael

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
If I buy another car, I'd like to stay with a 4 door hatchback (or wagon) with manual transmission, and would like to stay the same, or ideally improve on where I am with payments.

My thoughts at the moment are GTI, Focus ST, Mazda3, Civic (if the hatch comes), and I keep finding myself liking the Accord for a sedan.

Circuit

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I really want to get back into a wagon (small wagon Protege5 before the TDI) and have my heart set on a B8.5 Allroad. No other awesome-looking wagons with as good aftermarket support right now.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
The wife wants a '13 or '14 MB E class. Only a few $K more than I will get from the buyback. Will pain me greatly to go to a car that gets 28 MPG highway on premium fuel. Afraid she will win this one.

Marsupial

TDI
'15 Golf TDI DSG S
Well my first dip into diesel world didn't work out so well so I'm thinking hybrid of some sorts - can't get electric or plugin anything because as a condo dweller I have nowhere to plug-in at home. I'm in the minority of TDI owners (it seems) that actually bought VW diesel mainly for its economy and "cleanliness".
Don't like large cars so that eliminates a lot of options right off the back. I rented a Prius for vacation couple of years ago and did not like driving it all - not a large car but felt like driving a school bus. That was the previous generation Prius and the new one supposed to be better handling but I just can't get over its looks and I still do not like that dashboard.
There is a Hundai Ioniq hybrid coming out in 4th quarter that looks interesting - looks more conservative than Prius and it actually has a dual clutch transmission. Performance wise though, it's expected to be a 10s+ 0-60 car - that will be tough coming from 2015 Golf TDI's torque. Hmm...?
Honestly, what I would really want and be very interested in is a Golf with the Jetta hybrid's drivetrain and batteries under the back seat - that does not exist though.
At this point I'm thinking about test driving that Hyndai Ioniq hybrid and see how it feels. If I don't like it, than maybe wait and see if Honda releases Civic hybrid for 2017 - hatchback would be ideal but that might be too much to wish for. Might have to go for 2017 Civic hatchback with the 1.5 Turbo engine - 31mpg in the city and 42mpg on highway does not sound too bad in a non-hybrid.
I'm just such a niche market...

Last edited:

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm in the minority of TDI owners (it seems) that actually bought VW diesel mainly for its economy and "cleanliness".
I'm not so sure about that. I bought the car because it is excellent on fuel and has a good amount of power for what it should have. Sure it's like 100 horsepower but you get the horse and the torque where it counts - down low. That's another reason I really enjoy driving it as a stick car.

I'm just such a niche market...

I feel pretty similar to you so I wouldn't think you're out there all by yourself. I think a lot of people think this way on here. I'm actually surprised to get the turnout on the thread that I have.

Hate to say with all the input I've seen on the thread --- I'm still not satisfied. I might look to keep the car and wait until the TDI returns to the market. I'm so undecided.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I didn't know that the Eco was out. Did you test both the Eco (1.4L) and SE (2.0L)? Does the Eco have enough power?
The same MOTOR tranny combo is in the 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.4 TURBO....
Gets very good reviews with the 7 speed DSG...
My biggest negative is I like the options on the EX, which has a regular 2.4 with a 6 speed auto....

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Mazda 3s GT
OR
Kia Forte5 SX
OR
Honda Civic hatchback (new for 2017. DH has long pined for his '89 Civic Si hatch)
(big if...only if VW cuts a great bargain to current owners)
VW GTI

Gotta have a hatchback, stick, leather, sunroof.

Last edited:

AlexNJ

TDI
MK7 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG (sold back to VW 12/2016)
My 2015 Golf TDI with the DSG transmission is my first VW and my first diesel car. I had fallen in love with a Golf TSI with Blue Motion (I wish VW offered BM here) I had driven in England but opted for the TDI because my highway commute could benefit from the fuel economy. Little did I expect dieselgate less than a year after I purchased the car. At the time of purchase, I had briefly toyed with the idea of a GTI but figured I'd be sensible and get the most economical but fun-to-drive ICE car I could afford. In fact, this car has easily been the best car I've driven and, at least until the scandal broke, I couldn't help singing its praises to all my friends.

I hate giving a company like VW, which committed fraud for so many years and is justly paying a heavy price, any of my money. But I've made a mid-life career change recently and my commute is now about five miles in mostly stop-and-go local traffic with only an occasional highway trip to help me get the most out of the TDI. In hindsight, had I foreseen this change in jobs, I probably wouldnt have bought the TDI after all. It looks like the '15 TDI is fixable but I can't help wondering what such a fix will do to fuel economy and/or performance and whether it will only create headaches down the road. Maybe it's time to end my very brief adventure with diesels.

So I can't help toying with the idea of a GTI. The Alltrack also looks interesting but I seldom need to carry a lot of stuff. Maybe a sports hatch so popular with the young folks is silly for a college prof in his fifties to consider. But the idea of having some fun is hard to pass up. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited: