Broken piston after 343k kms(rebuild help)

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
mojogoes said:
PM stingrayRT for a quote you can also buy the rods from him if you wanted/needed them or from Rosten:) you can clean all the intake system out of oil and it would be better if you ran a catch-can instead of it going back into the intake tract especially if you doing track days.......you can double vent it one pipe from the puk and the other from an adaptor thats incorperated into the oil filler cap P#-06A 103 465 (Breatherassy) Then both the pipe from the ccv puk and the one from the oil filler go into a catch-can.
Ok will send a PM right a way ;)

About forged pistons.. is there any problem to run them as daily drive? What about fuel mileage ?
Are they heavier or lighter?

I already ordered the 260 cam and all the head things (valves ,springs..etc).

About the CCV... what do you meen with "puk"?

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
The puk is the round disc/breather on top of your valve cover yah
ohh ok ;)

And what about the rest? :D

Mailed 5 companies yesterday of forged pistons , one just answered that it does not make forged pistons for diesels.. :mad:

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I already have answers from some companies to make costum pistons but they take 10weeks... not that expensive , they asked more less 250€ each.
The problem is that I dont wont the car stoped for so much time.

So I have now to select a brand of pistons.

I have now quoting for Mahle pistons (same as stock I have) and tarabusi.. something like this , a bit cheaper..

Ordered some new PP764 and will install them on T4 injectors at 220bars.
head porting will be done next week.

I just dont know what valve springs should I use... my stock are double already.

Regards

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
I've kept with the old oe double springs thoigh they are new items.......just thinking out allowed here but because your having some retro forged pistons made do people think that having a larger/shallower bowl here would be an advantage or not.:rolleyes:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
If the bowl is made to undeep the fuel particles will hit the bowl bottom I think, which we do not want, so some other nozzles with other spray angle would help this.. but all teh effort.. when you're in there, a CR head wouldn't be that far away..

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
A small update.

The turbo is going tomorrow to recalibrate and change some things on the vanes to work better.
Ordered Nural 80,5mm pistons... could not find anything better and custom pistons would take 2/3months to get them.

About head porting , we just did some studding and I dont see much to gain.
How and until where do you do some porting? I can only see in the first 3-4cm any thing go gain , probably less them 1mm. Is there any substantial gain?

Now back to the pistons, since they will be 80,5mm how much will it raise the CR?

Regards,

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
If you looked at the exhaust port and didnt see much to be gained then you need binoculars instead of regular glasses :D For intake just make it smotther and dont mess with the shape much if you havent done swirl ports before. But for exhaust you can do alot. Just dont mess with the part where it meets the exhaust manifold. Thats OK as it is. Try to consentrate on the valve seat area and the first bend in the chanel. You can actually feel whats the restriction if you just stick your finger in there :D And use common sense with it. After all the exhaust is alot easier to improve than the intake.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Humm, you got me there , I did not look too much into the exhaust part... I was more looking into the intake. So probably only making it smother is enought right?
About the exhaust I will take a look into it , thanks ;)

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Yes smoothing the intake is enough if youre not going for alot more power than VB can support.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
PP764 have just arrived here ;)

Im now waiting for some feedback on the 260 dblias cam... can I really order it without having problems with idle?

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
hehe ok thas enought no need for so many arguments :D j/k

I have ordered it before on another dealer but he was dealing the order... will order directly from a dbilas dealer here in portugal. ;)

I was expecting the pp764 to came with some plastic protection caps... but its only wrapped in some paper .. seems like its normal in Bosio :confused:

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
yes it's normall.. don't worry ;)
I was expecting some plastic covers...

But who cares , they will become black in the first 5s! :D

Just found out that I have now 5 sets of nozzles.. 0,184 (came on the injectors I had on the engine) 0,205 stock ones , 0,216 (on the transporter injectors, the pp502 and now the pp764 :D

About engine break in... what do you suggest? I think Im going to run the first 2k kms with 130bhp... then keep pumping up the remap to get to the previous 180bhp.

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Just sent the injectors to be set at 220bars and install the PP764.

The turbo will also be calibrated for high RPMs(turbo RPMs , possibly get less then 0,3Gs ate 150k RPMs).

Pistons arrive tomorrow with all other pieces for the engine.

Still the cam is "missing" arrival date :(

Regards

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
ArturCosta said:
Just sent the injectors to be set at 220bars and install the PP764.

The turbo will also be calibrated for high RPMs(turbo RPMs , possibly get less then 0,3Gs ate 150k RPMs).

Pistons arrive tomorrow with all other pieces for the engine.

Still the cam is "missing" arrival date :(

Regards
How long did they say it would/will take to arrive..........mine took around 8/9weeks but some people got there's after about 2/3 weeks.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
How long did they say it would/will take to arrive..........mine took around 8/9weeks but some people got there's after about 2/3 weeks.
8 days , it depends on the stock in germany.The portugues dealer told me today he was asking to know if they have stock of it... if not it will take 1month more less :(
He has one in stock here in portugal but is for another costumer... if that costumer is not in a hurry I will get it... really hope so ;)

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
They just arrived here!

+1mm... thats 80,5 :D

I also "showed" the valves how the pistoes "taste" so they dont ever have that curiosity :p

Next week the rebuild will finally start!

Regards,

P.S. how can I change the posts original topic... the "rebuind" erro is there from the begining and I cant change it..

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Those valve pockets look very strange with the cutout to the side of the piston.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
hatemi said:
Those valve pockets look very strange with the cutout to the side of the piston.
Yeah i'm trying to figure out if they would be an advantage or not having them in this way (open!) instead of the valve being enclosed at the piston crown edge as usual.

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
Nuttin' performance related I'm afraid---Weather Tech front, rear and trunk mats, ZETA side moldings for door protection, TDI emblems....thinking about fog lamps......anyone want to give me some?

Karl

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
hatemi said:
I really dont know why they are different but they are 2008 made... I asked for something better so I hope it is better for something.
It would be interesting if anyone can tell me what difference will it make... I really dont see any... probably only a higher CR due to lack of that part in the piston (lol)

Chora: They costed more less 100€ each , directly from germany since here in portugal there where no 80,5 available.

Regards,

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
ArturCosta said:
I really dont know why they are different but they are 2008 made... I asked for something better so I hope it is better for something.
It would be interesting if anyone can tell me what difference will it make... I really dont see any... probably only a higher CR due to lack of that part in the piston (lol)

Chora: They costed more less 100€ each , directly from germany since here in portugal there where no 80,5 available.

Regards,
yeah this is what i was thinking (for lower cr!) plus it may help for filling/emptying the cylinders......is this kind of pocket called a T shaped relief

Last edited: