Not much to go on...but Experiencing excessive vibration under acceleration.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Not sure where to post this, so shooting for here. What are some symptoms of a bad clutch (other than slippage)?

Vehicle in question is a 2002 ALH, pretty heavily modded, using a windowed kevlar clutch with solid/SM lb flywheel.(clutch/Flywheel have a little under 40K miles on them) Also had an LSD installed at the same time. Using RedLineMT-90 oil.

Today while driving (car not truely and fully warmed up though water temp up to it's final normal spot) I excellerated out of a corner (3rd gear, at about 1500 RPM) and started feeling a pretty significant vibration. Ambient temp was probably 34*F...had only been in the 20s over night. Things were cold, but I've driven the car in colder temps with nothing like I felt today.

The I could get the same vibration on a straight under acceleration as well; so not just associated with turning.

Would a clutch slip in a fashion of causing a studder as distinct from the typical RPMs shoot up?

I've yet to visually inspect engine mounts and axles. I couldn't always replicate the vibration.(drove it hard again...nothing.) Then drove it yet again later on and was able to get some of the vibration.

I don't believe this is any sort of engine sudder from over fueling...never been an issue before.

Initially thought it could be the turbo about to let go (no boost gauge hooked up to see if boost was steady or what.) Doesn't appear to be the case.

I realize the description of 'excessive vibration under heavy acceleration' leaves much to be desired, but it's all I have at the moment. Ideas/suggestions are welcome!

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I've seen ball joints cause this phenomenon. Vibration under acceleration, no vibration when coasting or braking. Easy enough to rule it out, though.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
But there is no vibration under slight to moderate acceleration. Only under moderate+ to heavy acceleration. If that distinction matters for a ball joint issue. Goin on another test drive... This vibration appeared out of nowhere...hasn't slowly developed...again, not sure if this matters.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Test drove car giving different input on straights/curves...nothing. All mounts look secure...no bolts backed out, but going to triple check. How do I check the ball joints, or is it a matter of visual inspection? I'm still a little mystified as to what was going on...

bungy42

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I've got these same symptoms. I'll have to check the ball joints when I get home. I usually jack up the corner of the car, reach around the wheel and put one hand on the ball joint, then wiggle the tire with the other hand. If the ball joint moves at all, it's bad. This is easier if you have someone else wiggle the wheel, but it can be done alone.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Yes, grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to shake it. Also, get under the control arm and visually inspect the three bolts holding the ball joint in. I've seen a car with only one bolt on one of them. The tires didn't want to go in the same direction down the road... :D

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright...same test as on my van (has some massive ball joints...upper/lower). Did the test on both sides and got only the most slight of movement...miniscule...would say sub 1mm. I believe that is acceptable, yes? The Golf has 93K on it... I checked the bolts both sides...same thought had crossed my mind as well...everything tight.

Now it's a matter of 'will this happen again' and I'll just have to pay even closer attention...thanks!

clogged

TDI
01 jetta/05 jeep crd
Hello all, I am having the same shaking on acceleration,smooth on roll off.Sounds like a fine member has it pegged.If it is a ball joint...how much hassle to do myself? $$$? special tools? Thanks!! ooops - 2001 jetta gls/tdi 140,000mi

cconrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I posted today in atlantic canada section a similar prob. 2004 golf. It would shake on acceleration at 120kph, let up on throttle and shake is almost non existent. I'm sure they checked the ball joints, but may try is myself. They roadforced the wheels, replaced one front axel, rear pads and rotors, they even did the transmission ! under warranty thank god....

When I put winter tires and rims on, shake was still there, they roadforced those wheels making it a little worse, now starts at 80kph and up.....

it is kinda intermittent, but a real pain to drive with ,they eventually blamed the tires/wheels " both sets ! " a fellow tdi'er is willing to lend be his to try out, as I can not believe it is tire/rim related especially where it is intermittent over the same road conditions....

Hopefully the ball joint will be the culprit....

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I'm having this issue with my wife's '03 Jetta at 140k miles. It is the last of the problems for the car after replacing the MAF, the glow plugs and fixing the fuel pressure regulator roll pin thingie. Acceleration is fine, but under anything more than quarter throttle I get this roughness. Could it be a motor mount instead of a ball joint?

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
I got the same vibration at 100km/h then don't feel it again until 120km/h and goes away at 130km/h. For me it was the tires. I havn't rotated or balenced them in 45,000 km and just did, now it does that. I got them balenced and alligned then drove 2800 km and everything is getting better now. Have you checked the tires for bad wear?

Last edited:

tspicuzza

TDI
2000 JETTA
I am having trouble finding out why criuse won't work. The dealer said that it was in the ecm. They found power at the switch and that the contorl was all done in tha ecm. Can this be corrrected?

Last edited: