Short shifter

andyv

TDI
2003 VW TDI Jetta Wagon
Can anyone tell me what short shifter kit will fit a 2003 VW TDI Jetta Wagon? I already checked dieselgeek.com and can’t find anything for a 2003.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
This is what I used on my 03 wagon. Loved it. I tried the DG version on our JSW and ended up replacing it with an OEM S3 shifter. I am in the minority, but I just found it too notchy and aggressive. I don't have a desire to reduce the side to side throws.

https://www.idparts.com/vw-short-shifter-8n0711046-p-551.html
You're definitely in the minority. The general consensus in the tdi/gti/audi community is that the dieselgeek sigma shortshifters are the best available. I have a feeling the one you had must have been poorly adjusted.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Initially I thought mine was also "too notchy", but after a couple of weeks I really began to enjoy it. Even though I watched the video on how to install the new linkage, I still did not get it right until the third try. Before that, it was REALLY notchy.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
https://www.idparts.com/vw-short-shifter-8n0711046-p-551.html

If you decide to go the Audi TT route (which is what I had on my 2003 as well - also back when they were $45 new) then you can still get one for $60 from one of the forum supporting vendors. Crazy that ECS wants $100 for it.
ECS is a business like any other. Don't fault them; just comparison shop. Sometimes they are cheaper than other suppliers, sometimes it's someone else.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
take the deal with the counterweight off the trans

look how the pin is riveted in
grind the riveted portion off flush, hammer the pin out and drill a second hole closer to the axis, you'll see how the boss has room for two holes in it, one for VW one for audi

counterbore the underside of your new hole slightly with a larger drill bit and then use a center punch to peen over the pin in the new position

Maybe an hour to do.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Any ideas for a short shifter on a MK5 6 speed

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Any ideas for a short shifter on a MK5 6 speed
on the 0A6 I cut up the arm and rewelded it with a shorter radius between the axises of the shift rod and the linkage point
do the same on anything really

Bells7246

TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLI
I just installed the one from ECS, it is amazing, makes the gearbox feel brand new and much shorter front to back. Install was pretty easy.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I had my mom get me the TT arm with some of her audi "we're sorry" gift card. She had already prepaid for all her service and isn't that into audi swag :D
It's a noticeable improvement but not vast, I'm sure the dieselgeek one is better, but it was never too high on my list of things to spend $200 on.