01 ALH stage 4 no tune not burning fuel

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
I have the borg warner S7 turbo, DLC 764 nozzles (the 165whp kit from kerma)
They have yet to send me a tune... I've had garbage service from them, and now the car is acting up.
My VW Guru (recommended by Kerma) tells me that I'm fine driving the car without a tune. So I have been, for about 4k miles now. It "rolls coal" I get it, bigger nozzles are definitely pushing more fuel. I have been nice to it though, I have only seen full throttle a handfull of times in said 4k miles. And it scoots pretty good (would be nice to see how it goes at the proper 24lbs of boost and tune, but...)

Started the car one day and it wouldn't idle and stalled (struggling to stay alive at 400rpm). Eventually stayed running, but wouldn't take any throttle input and was pouring white smoke and leaving a large soot pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVIWsDwnUO4

after standing on the throttle it woke up once the engine was at operating temp. And I made it home.

Here's an engine vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMTGZ604668

and a video of me standing on the throttle, the engine trying to rev, it does eventually once it hits 180-190 degrees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z7oBUoIMPw

Is the car upset about being driven without a tune for so long?
I don't know where to start, the shop is still dealing with kerma for my tune.

yes, my CEL is on, it's for a glow plug issue.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What fault codes do you have? How is the timing? Assuming timing is OK, it would appear that the engine is seriously over-fueling. I'd try raising the IQ number (reduce fueling) as much as possible and see if things get better. You may also be accumulating carbon in the cylinders and turbo. If you can get the fueling sorted a good long run to clean the engine out may help.

In my opinion PP764s will over fuel that setup even with a tune. I think PP520s with a good tune would be a better match.

waveblaster200

TDI
Mk4 Wagon, Mk4 Stage 4
Has the tune been paid for? Why wait 4k miles to get tuned? I would be making phone calls, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Sounds like you are carboned up, Are you on a 10mm or 11mm pump?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Odd that it would start acting up all of the sudden it's at tune/overfueling thing.

How old is the pump? Maybe you're getting air in the pump when it sits.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Listen to what Peter has to say!

I had my hands on the daughter's wagon recently. She said that following some transmission work (01m) it felt sluggish. Last I'd seen the car it was fine. After working on the car (swapping out seats and installing winter tires) I took it out for a test drive. It DID feel piggish. I hammered on it and it blew gobs of black smoke. Kept getting it for a while and then it was done. The car then seemed to run a LOT better: I ran some logs and things looked really good. I'm wanting to have some injector work done, get rid of the manual nozzles (which I'd put in) and bump up to DLC520s; it's possible that even with a tune (Stage 1.5) and the way she's driving it (I told her to get it out on the highway and STOMP on it) that the nozzles/injectors are compounding things.

Make sure your IC isn't pooled up with oil before you go hammering on it.