TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just of of interest, is there a list anywhere of past TDIFest locations?
You can check out all previous TDIFest discussions here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

2000: Carolina Beach, NC
2001: Park City, UT
2002: Michigan
2003: Toronto, Canada
2004: New England
2005: Lake Mills, WI
2006: Valley Forge, PA
2007: Montreal, Canada
2008: Mason, Ohio
2009: Washington, D.C. (actually Dulles, VA near VWHQ)
2010: Portland, OR
2011: Lexington, KY
2012: Ypsilanti, MI
2013: Sunday River, ME
2014: - none -
2015: Sunday River, ME
2016: Sturgeon Bay, WI
2017: - none -

tonystdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 700K miles, 2000 Jetta 288,000 miles
I'm having my own mini Tdi Fest at home, thinking about the good old days I miss you all.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
We had a great fest in PDX in 2010.

'Twas indeed.

It's too bad info to generate interest can't be posted as a sticky in other forums. I know there are a lot more people who would have interest, but don't necessarily check this sub-forum. Would be a shame to go two years in a row with no Fest...

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I'm planning a long trip to burn up vacation days and to get the wanderlust out of my system. A bit over 2k miles in 4 days. Not TDI related, but that's that.
My trip was to the N.C./GA/S.C. junction area to view the solar eclipse in totality. Well worth the time and miles down and back for the 150 seconds or so of total obscuration at that location. It wasn't so dark that stars were visible, but Venus was.
I took the pop-up as the hotels and motels in the area were sold out and still got 38+ mpg on B99 bio (refilled in Asheville for the trip back).

So I got my traditional annual long drive out of the way, burned a few use-it-or-lose-it vacation days, and got to see an amazing spectacle to boot.

Now, ... about next late summer.....

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I flew to Chicago, then rented a car to see the eclipse. Drove to Marion, IL about 15 miles east of Carbondale. Carbondale was a zoo. Marion was much better. About 10 minutes before totality the sun was behind a dark cloud. But 3 minutes later, the cloud move on and we got a clear view of totality. Crossed of 1 thing on the bucket list.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My trip was to the N.C./GA/S.C. junction area to view the solar eclipse in totality. Well worth the time and miles down and back for the 150 seconds or so of total obscuration at that location. It wasn't so dark that stars were visible, but Venus was.
I took the pop-up as the hotels and motels in the area were sold out and still got 38+ mpg on B99 bio (refilled in Asheville for the trip back).

So I got my traditional annual long drive out of the way, burned a few use-it-or-lose-it vacation days, and got to see an amazing spectacle to boot.

Now, ... about next late summer.....
Sounds like a great trip! And on bio, too!

RedHawk

TDI
2015 Jetta EA288
Just gonna throw this out there......

What about Austin , Texas ? A Texas hill county wine tour - in TDI fashion of course, with a little Austin music at night. Springtime ? Lets do it !!...............Dave

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

What about Austin , Texas ? A Texas hill county wine tour - in TDI fashion of course, with a little Austin music at night. Springtime ? Lets do it !!...............Dave
Dave, it's a good location, for sure.......but, the reason Fests have not been held in major Texas cities in past years had to do with the potential for hot weather in August/September. And, the vast majority of club members are in the northern states.

I'd love to help you organize one, but someone needs to put together a Fest Team and get a location and proposal together.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

Dave, it's a good location, for sure.......but, the reason Fests have not been held in major Texas cities in past years had to do with the potential for hot weather in August/September. And, the vast majority of club members are in the northern states.
I'd love to help you organize one, but someone needs to put together a Fest Team and get a location and proposal together.
I like the idea. What's the weather like around Memorial Day (May 26-28)? Columbus Day (October 6-8)? The latter would give you a little bit of extra planning time. You'd be surprised how quickly May comes.

If the two of you could team up, I'm pretty sure more Texas folks will join in.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I would freaking LOVE an Austin TDIFest!!

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI

Well, Dave put your money where your mouth is... Put a group together and organize this thang!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I've got a PM into Fred to see if this will fly. Haven't heard back in a few days though.
Fred has been traveling. It took him a couple of weeks to get back to me with a question about an order.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Count us in.

Well, so far, there are three of us who would be there.:D
So how many of you right Coasters are going to plan it?
Jason and I would make a serious effort to be there, although it'd be in a Tesla... less of a TDI than tomo's HHR! ;)

I can provide some advice to local planners, but my involvement in the planning will be extremely limited.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Well, so far, there are three of us who would be there.
Make that four (waiting for PeterV to speak for himself).

Jason and I would make a serious effort to be there, although it'd be in a Tesla... less of a TDI than tomo's HHR!
Should I bring the tow dolly so the Telsa with it's lesser range can be recovered?:p