www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old November 29th, 2007, 14:14   #811
BrianCT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydeathbynapalm
Had to get a new camshaft and lifters installed (thankfully not by a dealership )... '02 only has just shy of 91,000 and at least 2 of the lifters were relatively soon to be holed(already developed a wear grove)...camshaft had pitting in the lobes. Noticed said pits at 80K(TB change), but nothing was obviously about to fail. Glad we did the change out today...
This is worrysome. Oldpoopie did my timing belt at 158,000 miles, also a 2002 and saw zero wear. But since reading on the threads about 2002 and follower/cams emploding... I ...I ...really am getting nervous. I'm at 200,000 miles now. I'm not due for a timing belt for another 40,000 miles. Do I prematurely do a timing belt with cam/lifters and oil pump soon or....

sent from an iThong™
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 14:26   #812
truckinwagen

TDI(s): 1981 rabbit
Fuel Economy: 60 mpg in town, 45 highway

well it wasnt today, but I cicked my car.
my trusty little 81 rabbit shredded the alt/water pump belt in turnagain pass. for those of you not familiar with alaska thats the middle of friggin nowhere at least 65 miles from the nearest town, and even better with no cell coverage. I had to hitchhike to soldotna (about 100 miles off) and getr my family to come from homer with a trailer(another 70 miles) to bring tha darn thing back home so I could fix it.
nwe belt+extra in the glove box=happy bunny
truckinwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 14:36   #813
KROUT
persona non grata

If your not get any lifter noise I would do it at the next t-belt change. Just my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCT
This is worrysome. Oldpoopie did my timing belt at 158,000 miles, also a 2002 and saw zero wear. But since reading on the threads about 2002 and follower/cams emploding... I ...I ...really am getting nervous. I'm at 200,000 miles now. I'm not due for a timing belt for another 40,000 miles. Do I prematurely do a timing belt with cam/lifters and oil pump soon or....

KROUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 14:58   #814
Justler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinwagen
well it wasnt today, but I cicked my car.
my trusty little 81 rabbit shredded the alt/water pump belt in turnagain pass. for those of you not familiar with alaska thats the middle of friggin nowhere at least 65 miles from the nearest town, and even better with no cell coverage. I had to hitchhike to soldotna (about 100 miles off) and getr my family to come from homer with a trailer(another 70 miles) to bring tha darn thing back home so I could fix it.
nwe belt+extra in the glove box=happy bunny
I've been to soldotna... not too shabby =). Sorry to hear about your luck!
Justler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 15:20   #815
BrianCT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROUT
I would do it at the next t-belt change. Just my 2 cents
Yea, but I walked into Chris Hill's garage last summer and saw IndigoblueWagen's [Peter tdiparts.com]. Peter asked to takie a lookie at his cam/followers and ...I don't think he had any "noise." The followers were SPENT/CRACKED and CHIPPED. A couple miles short of a tow truck and the need for a new motor.

Chris did his cam and followers right then and there.

Last clutch deal -make over in Aug I wanted to have Chris look at my cam/lifters but we decided to take on suspension components as well as clutch and never had time to pop the valve cover.

Way off topic.

What did I do to my car today?

Thought about it kind'a

sent from an iThong™
Old November 29th, 2007, 15:33   #816
wanders
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: AVG 48 MPG Best- 53 MPG

Added gauges. Boost, Oil temp, and oil pressure using VDO kit from 42 Draft.

All in all, nice kit and easy to do
wanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:19   #817
oldpoopie

brian, get yourself a ball allen and take that valve cover off. Its easy and then you'll be able to sleep.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:45   #818
mydeathbynapalm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52.5 best/45+ w/ current mods/39 how?

Don't need to do a full TB change to swap cam/lifters.(took Oliver 1:15 to do the swap...leisurely) Likely wouldn't have been able to see the wear on the lifters while in engine. We just saw the cam 10K ago and knew we had to change the parts out. No noise present. Friend had a lifter fail and engine stil ran until he got to the repair shop...wasn't pretty. Still needed a 'new' head though. I believe his car had 110000 on it at the time. Was an '03 FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCT
mydeathbynapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 13:47   #819
BrianCT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie
brian, get yourself a ball allen and take that valve cover off. Its easy and then you'll be able to sleep.
I could take snap shots, but I still don't know what I'm looking for ...well I do but panic is more the rational state of mind when entering into a domain I have little knowledge about ...mechanics.

Two-hundred grand on that motor oldpoopie, thanks to you my last belt job. Thanks to HermTDi for my first one ...car would've never made 100,000 if a dealership had done the job.

I'm really, really thankful to have met you both.

BrianCT

sent from an iThong™
Old December 1st, 2007, 14:13   #820
eli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51

I put on steel rims & blizzaks onto my A5 that used to be on my 2005 hailstone-dimpled B5.5. thus starting the TPMS light on its inexorable way to failure. Is it an LED or is it a bulb? It could fail either way I suppose, but LED would probably last longer. Someone here already has some wacky A5 dashboard upgrade kit, I'm sure, blue LEDs, whatever it takes.

My next upgrade will be to move the black electrical tape that is currently covering the DRL light - I'll cover the TPMS symbol/light with it.

ps - what good does a mufflerectomy do except make our slow but torquey TDIs louder?

pps - are steel rims and snow tires really an upgrade? I'd say yes they are but don't make me go and start a poll on the subject, or anything.

ppps - is black electrical tape an upgrade to the A5 dashboard? I say yes, but this too could be a future poll subject of national interest or at least the A5 forum.

Last edited by eli; December 1st, 2007 at 14:18.
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 14:44   #821
BrianCT
Veteran Member

Today, changed over all summer tires to winter tires. The Jetta and the Golf are now on 16 x 6.5 rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks [Revo1 and WS60's]. Changed over a friend of ours, his NB from stocker alloyed to steelie and Nokian i3's also. That was 3 hours of changing 3 cars in the cold and snowy morning.

The steelies and Nokian's I bought off Danix himself back 2005 winter when I needed a MAF and drove up to his home in NY. Great set of tires from Danix... and our friend Gary has enjoyed them for now 3 seasons.

sent from an iThong™
Old December 1st, 2007, 14:58   #822
BrianCT
Veteran Member

Oh, keeping with my painting traditions.

I did refinish the steelie rims of our friend both front and back sides and clear coated them too.

LOL

sent from an iThong™
Old December 1st, 2007, 15:04   #823
Losha
Veteran Member

Here are some pictures of my TDI on first snow.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Man I love snow, its so fun to drive my TDI. I have Perreli's tires and the rear ones are weared out, but the front ones are still good. So now when I turn my rear end slides like on slides, don't even have to use e-brake.lol Two days ago I did very nice 2 360 turns by my driveway, it was unbelievable fun. It feeled like I was driving rear wheel driven car, all I had to do is pull ebrake turn wheel and hit gas paddle and car would turn right on spot.

Another thing I noticed if I wanted to turn around (I mean 180) pull ebrake let a gas go and turn wheels and car would turn around to go opposite direction in no time.

Malone Tuning Dealer for SD, ND NE, IA, MN
'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID

Last edited by Losha; December 1st, 2007 at 15:11.
Losha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 17:15   #824
owr084
Veteran Member

Check your manual. I know that on my Eos (which is pretty much the same elctronics as the A5), I can set the TPMS to account for winter tires through the MFD or VAG-COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli
I put on steel rims & blizzaks onto my A5 that used to be on my 2005 hailstone-dimpled B5.5. thus starting the TPMS light on its inexorable way to failure. Is it an LED or is it a bulb? It could fail either way I suppose, but LED would probably last longer. Someone here already has some wacky A5 dashboard upgrade kit, I'm sure, blue LEDs, whatever it takes.

My next upgrade will be to move the black electrical tape that is currently covering the DRL light - I'll cover the TPMS symbol/light with it.

ps - what good does a mufflerectomy do except make our slow but torquey TDIs louder?

pps - are steel rims and snow tires really an upgrade? I'd say yes they are but don't make me go and start a poll on the subject, or anything.

ppps - is black electrical tape an upgrade to the A5 dashboard? I say yes, but this too could be a future poll subject of national interest or at least the A5 forum.
Old December 1st, 2007, 18:06   #825
whitedog
Veteran Member

Fabricated a fix for the PD intake hose pooping out.

This is the prototype; changes will be made.

Last edited by whitedog; December 1st, 2007 at 18:33.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote