www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old June 10th, 2013, 20:27   #15061
oldpoopie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
North. Hopes to make it to Mt. Katahdin.

Chill took the wagon apart to find out what I did to it at the track last weekend, and apparently I broke a wheel hub.

He said the tightness of the axle nut was all that was holding it together. I drove it 100 miles home like that. Lucky, I guess.
NEVER seen that before! What was the symptom?

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:55   #15062
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Felt like a flat spotted tire. Thought it was a broken CV joint after I swapped tires front to rear and it didn't go away. When I drove it home I couldn't go above about 65 of the car shook a lot, like it had a bent wheel (street tires on at that point).
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:47   #15063
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Stock hubs are not designed to take the cornering loads generated on the track with wide sticky tires. I would check the other side too.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:21   #15064
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

We did, that one's OK. I did two events at Lime Rock this spring (both on Victoracers) and that course is mostly right turns, so the left front wheel was under a lot of load. When I'd come in after a session the left front tire pressure was typically labout 4 PSI higher than the right. And the hub was original.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:26   #15065
Jettawolfs98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/38/30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettawolfs98 View Post
Did this... Yes called me Stupid.

I was talking with my friend and I didnt check the torque wrench.

Yes called me stupid twice, my friend did it.

Question

Can I continue using only 3 bolts?
Or Can I add a bolt and a secure nut?
I'm afraid the secure nut get loose and drop causing some damage.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:47   #15066
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Given the relative fragility of the fuel systems in these cars and that you probably don't want to risk introducing air to the system, I think you need to either get the bolts out, and if the threads are damaged at all, replace the canister. A couple of gurus here use ALH valve cover bolts instead of the OE canister bolts, as they are notoriously soft.

Don't feel bad, more than a few people have done this.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:49   #15067
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

How did you check it? A visual inspection inspection might not show the beginnings of small stress cracks; dye penetrant would.

Quote:
We did, that one's OK. I did two events at Lime Rock this spring (both on Victoracers) and that course is mostly right turns, so the left front wheel was under a lot of load. When I'd come in after a session the left front tire pressure was typically labout 4 PSI higher than the right. And the hub was original.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:14   #15068
oldpoopie

Quote:
Wow you got lucky it held together.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:19   #15069
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

I know. Chris was surprised I made it home. I thought I had a cracked cage on an inner CV joint.

I'll double check the remaining hub, but I'm also putting stock suspension back in the car and taking a track day break. I was scheduled for an event in Canada this week but canceled because I don't want to get stranded. Driving the race car back and forth when it's as old as mine is too risky: Too much trouble getting towed home. I'm going to stay local and use the Miata for the rest of this season.
Old June 11th, 2013, 15:29   #15070
Kman308
Veteran Member

Installed Yakima Skybox 16S, Weathertech Cargo mat, and a pair of Amazon exhaust tips.

Kman308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 19:22   #15071
YoungDieselstein
Veteran Member

Location: Orem, UT (Formerly San Diego, CA and Clarksville, TN)
Fuel Economy: 39-45 depending on configuration. I often drive with a cargo box on the roof rack.

Big day.
Background: Had a my radiator drain valve fail about a week and a half ago after a 'top notch' timing belt job by Paramedick & co. (they didn't break it, they found it that way from previous owner and told me it was broken). I guess it was sort of sealed with age, because after opening it to drain, closing it, and re-filling the coolant it got me about 80% of the way home before it failed and left my coolant along the road in a trail until my warning light came on. Trailered it home from there.

Ordered a new part from Peter, Corey, et. al. at ID parts. Nice! Got here yesterday. Today I drained what was left and flushed with distilled water. Even pulled the lower oil cooler hose to get everything I could out of the block! Then I removed the broken one and installed the new lower radiator drain valve/hose coupling. Filled with fresh coolant/distilled water about 60/40.

Only having one issue that might be a non-issue. So as not to hijack the WDYDTYCT thread, see it and help me here, please: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=52

2003 Jetta Wagon - Reflex Silver - Bone Stock. What to do, what to do?
YoungDieselstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:41   #15072
TDI<wagen>

Fuel Economy: 5.4L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman308 View Post
Installed Yakima Skybox 16S, Weathertech Cargo mat, and a pair of Amazon exhaust tips.

Nice! I like the cargo mat. Did you get it from WeatherTech directly?

Cleaned up my IC plumbing (driver and passenger side) and sprayed TB a little with TB cleaner. Found very thin oil film inside the piping (which is normal) and some nasty goop in the pipe that goes to TB and intake manifold (passenger side).

Last edited by TDI<wagen>; June 12th, 2013 at 11:51.
TDI<wagen> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 22:09   #15073
Kman308
Veteran Member

Default Weathertech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI<wagen> View Post
Nice! I like the cargo mat. Did you get it from WeatherTech directly?
Cleaned up my IC plumbing (driver and passenger side) and sprayed TB a little with TB cleaner. Found very thin oil film inside the piping (which is normal) and some nasty goop in the pipe that goes to TB and intake manifold (passenger side).
TDI<wagen>,
I ordered the mat from a local Weathertech dealer - They had it the next day. Weathertech is severely overpriced IMO, but it is probably the best out there and properly fit. Will last a lifetime...
Kman308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 05:31   #15074
MikeS_18
Veteran Member

Finished removing the side skirt and belly pan that my son 1/2 ripped off after parking too close to the concrete parking stop and ripping off the valance..."Its dragging something..."

he needs to keep this thing together until Aug 15th. It's going to be close...
MikeS_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 18:15   #15075
JP-8
Veteran Member

I do landscaping as a summer job (aka, "Agricultural Engineering"), so I basically work during any good time to wash a car.

700 miles on the new (black) car. Got home from work and washed the car with Dawn to get the crappy dealership coat off.

Started to clay the car...and it downpours.

Next day, get out of work at 6. Wash (again), dry, and clay the front end and mirrors only (figuring, the only stuff on the paint would be bugs). Apply Meguiars NXT sealant as it's getting dark. I notice that after I wipe it off I sealed some surface contaminants in.

Oh, and it rained overnight. Never got to see the car all nice and shiny...