2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I don't recall seeing this posted, but Phase 2A seems to have eliminated the slight flat spot during light acceleration from a stop. Generally smoother throttle response overall. This is a 6-speed and I only have Phase 1 as a reference point (i.e., its a stop-sale car).

gustave59

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Vibration at high speed

I just bought a GSW, manual trans, 20k miles. I formerly had a 2014 JSW. I'm mostly happy with the performance of the car but I am noticing a bit of engine vibration at high speed and also when driving up hills. At idle and driving at low speeds the overall driving experience is smoother than the JSW. I seem to recall reading that one of the effects of the modification might be a bit more engine vibration. Has anyone noticed or heard anything similar? Could it just be the difference between the Gen 1 Gen 3 TDI engines?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
with increased nose, comes a slight increase in vibration.

volksjaeger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '15 Golf Sportwagen, '16 Touareg Lux
I'm noticing various discrepancies... can we pause for a moment and nail down a few things?
- the whole thing about phase 2A and 2B... the 40K mile / 70K miles determination for whether you get 2A or 2B applies ONLY to cars that were purchased with the phase 1 already done - they get 2A. They back later after the car has 70K miles for 2A.
Did you mean "Then back later after the car has 70K miles for 2B" ?

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Did you mean "Then back later after the car has 70K miles for 2B" ?

Yeah, from the approved emissions notice for generation 3 TDI phase 2...

"If you purchased a vehicle with the Phase 1 emissions modification already applied and your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, we will not replace the Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter in your vehicle at that time and we request that you return at a future date for its replacement once your vehicle has accumulated at least 70,000 miles. At the time of this service, you will receive a complimentary maintenance service with a free tank of fuel and have the aforementioned hardware installed at that time."

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Update...

First week of post phase 2B I came to notice a peculiar variation in the correspondence between the accelerator pedal and the RPMs. Sometimes I seemed to get more RPMs than I expected, other times less, sometimes a lot less to the point where the pedal depression was way more than normal.

Initially I thought perhaps the car's adjustment to the update simply needed to few drive cycles, but it got worst and finally the OBD threw a check engine light.

The dealer service people determined that the problem was independent of the phase 2B; one of the fuel sensors on the rail was erroneously overstating and the engine control was trying to adjust to that incorrect report. The whole rail is the unit of replacement, so it gets replaced.

My car was out of manufacturer's warranty (but only 10 days); so they elected there would be no cost to me, which was wonderful.

While I was there I checked on my prepaid scheduled service I bought two years ago in anticipation of the first time I will begin to use it about a year from now. After one of the people there had made about a dozen phone calls it was determined that somehow my plan had never been activated... The plan has a 50K from inception span, so he arraigned that when I come to pick up my fixed car, the inception and span would be reset to that date, also wonderful.

Looking forward to finally finding out how the phase 2B works with the car.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Update...
First week of post phase 2B I came to notice a peculiar variation in the correspondence between the accelerator pedal and the RPMs. Sometimes I seemed to get more RPMs than I expected, other times less, sometimes a lot less to the point where the pedal depression was way more than normal.
Initially I thought perhaps the car's adjustment to the update simply needed to few drive cycles, but it got worst and finally the OBD threw a check engine light.
The dealer service people determined that the problem was independent of the phase 2B; one of the fuel sensors on the rail was erroneously overstating and the engine control was trying to adjust to that incorrect report. The whole rail is the unit of replacement, so it gets replaced.
My car was out of manufacturer's warranty (but only 10 days); so they elected there would be no cost to me, which was wonderful.
While I was there I checked on my prepaid scheduled service I bought two years ago in anticipation of the first time I will begin to use it about a year from now. After one of the people there had made about a dozen phone calls it was determined that somehow my plan had never been activated... The plan has a 50K from inception span, so he arraigned that when I come to pick up my fixed car, the inception and span would be reset to that date, also wonderful.
Looking forward to finally finding out how the phase 2B works with the car.
Please also post the fuel rail sensor issue in the Mk 7 Common Issues and Resolutions section.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
fuel rail is covered under the warranty from the fix anyway. the entire fuel delivery system is, I think.

You would have been covered regardless.

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I will post in the Mk 7 Common Issues and Resolutions section in a few days, when I can quote part numbers and the service notes.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Happy...
Finely got my phase 2 done last Friday/Saturday AM, and after a couple days, can say I am happy.
Subtle changes, yes, but more like when it was new.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just completed my first fuel refill since having Phase 2A Emissions Modification completed. Drive 823 miles, pumped in 17.45 gallons, for a hand-calc 47.17 MPG (prior best ever was 47.76 MPG hand-calc, and average since taking ownership in Nov 2017 prior to Phase 2A modification was 41.82 MPG. I will need a few more refills to determine if actual MPG went up / stayed same / dropped. But it is a good sign so far.

Also, regarding difference between display and hand-calc (to determine if the display calibration was in some way altered at Phase 2A), my average display reading prior to Phase 2A was 4.03% higher than hand-calc; on this single post Phase 2A fuel up, the display read 5.36% higher. I only had one previous time when the display showed a higher value greater than 5% above hand-calc, and that just happened to be the refill just prior to the Phase 2A emissions modification. So I'm not sure if I can say there is a calibration difference on what the display shows for MPG vs. hand-calc or not yet - will need several more fuel-ups to get some more data.

I would say there are no perceivable differences of any type pre & post Phase 2A.

So all-in-all, no ill effects from having Phase 2A completed. There is potential the fuel mileage could be slightly higher - we'll see.
I've now completed 3 fill-ups since having Phase 2A done on my 2.0L Gen 3 2015 Passat (DSG). These 3 fill-ups yielded 3 of my top 4 MPG (hand-calc) values since owning the car (17 fill-ups since picked up in Nov 2017). Granted the early ones were started at the end of fall and through winter, so the results need to take this factor into consideration. I would need to see what the fall/winter results are compared to last year, but at this time, I would say fuel efficiency is no worse that it was after Phase 1, with a good chance it is slightly better.

On the display calibration, before Phase 2A, my display read 4.03% higher than hand-calc. In my 3 fill-ups after Phase 2A, my display read 5.39% higher. I'm getting my Cenex Roadmaster XL diesel fuel from a different station now, as my original cooperative changed hands and I didn't get a clear understanding if they stayed with Cenex Roadmaster XL fuel or went with something else. I could try one tank there at the pump I normally used before to see if that gets me back to a display read of 4% higher or not. I'll likely do that at my next refill.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Does anyone know if an alignment is needed following the phase 2 fix? I remember reading that it was but can't find the reference.

I hit a pothole and need to get one done but if it's included in the fix I'll save the $100.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Does anyone know if an alignment is needed following the phase 2 fix? I remember reading that it was but can't find the reference.

I hit a pothole and need to get one done but if it's included in the fix I'll save the $100.
No, one wasn’t completed on mine. I’d get it done after the fix, since the front end is dropped to access the DPF.

Demo3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
So... I have had my 15 GSW back 2 days now after the phase 2 fix. They also fixed a def leak and after everything was complete it took them a week (Wednesday to Wednesday) to get it back to me. First impression is that the shifting has changed.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I called to make my appointment for phase 2 and was told there was a shortage on a certain part. They said they’d call me back by end of day, but never did. I was hoping to get this done soon, because I’m at a time to get my oil changed. I’ll call Monday to see what they say.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
So... I have had my 15 GSW back 2 days now after the phase 2 fix. They also fixed a def leak and after everything was complete it took them a week (Wednesday to Wednesday) to get it back to me. First impression is that the shifting has changed.
Wow...
Mine was scheduled for one day, after an early AM drop-off, but they didn't have one item they needed, so it resulted in a Monday AM pick up.
Guess different dealerships have different ways of scheduling people to work on the cars...a team vs "spare time," between other jobs

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Mine went in several weeks ago on a Thursday morning, they called Monday morning to pick it up. So far so good!

I called the dealer in April, they couldn't get a loaner for 6 months. When I dropped it off the service advisor asked me for my claim #. I tried explain the car was purchased new last year. There is no claim # or claim. I also asked for the 10k service. He did not know anything about this. I just left the car and called VWOA.

I received a call from VW and the dealership in a few hours that everything was ok.

I'm staying out of the dealer unless have major warranty work!

I knew what I was getting into before I purchased the TDI

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
Had Phase 2 done on my Mk7 DSG GSW.

I drove it around a bunch, and the best I can say is that it drives a little different. Not necessarily worse. The passing power is still good, it feels smoother at take off but slightly less responsive. I had done the OBD11 throttle mod so I need to check if its still selected. The steering settings seemed to be the same.

It is noisier. Not dramatically but it's noticeable.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Had Phase 2 done on my Mk7 DSG GSW.

I drove it around a bunch, and the best I can say is that it drives a little different. Not necessarily worse. The passing power is still good, it feels smoother at take off but slightly less responsive. I had done the OBD11 throttle mod so I need to check if its still selected. The steering settings seemed to be the same.

It is noisier. Not dramatically but it's noticeable.

Which dealer in Ottawa did your phase 2 fix? Good or bad experience? Looking to have my phase 2 done sometime soon...

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
Which dealer in Ottawa did your phase 2 fix? Good or bad experience? Looking to have my phase 2 done sometime soon...
I bought the car at Meyers, and have it serviced there (for warranty reasons), so I brought it there.

I'd say it was a positive experience. I dropped it off Tuesday morning and picked it up Wednesday afternoon. Rental was offered (and paid for) with no prompting on my part.

I also had them check the wiring for the coolant heater since last year the car was driven off with the cord attached and was ripped out when it went under the tire. They didn't charge anything for the inspection.

Oh, and they have a 10% off promo via facebook. So if you're getting more work done just show them the post on your phone. Saved me $25 or so.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Got my Passat back today. The car doesn't really feel much different. I was pretty much in stop and go traffic all the way home, so I can't tell if anything really changed. Tomorrow morning should be interesting, as I'm going to work OT and will do my normal drive. I'll see how mpg has changed, but I know I'll need to drive it more to see if it actually changed.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Here is what they did:

I see something about clean particulate filter per techline. I don't know what part is the DPF, but I assume I did get a new DPF, correct?

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
What's your mileage?

Here's an oddity. Following phase 2, the average fuel consumption and distance are now 'since start' where it used to say "since refuel". I quickly looked for a way to switch it back but couldn't find anything.

Last edited:

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
there is a toggle setting for that. you can do it with the steering wheel controls on the right.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I had mine done last week, picked it up on Monday. Now my steering wheel is off center and the car pulls to the right. The engine light came on ofter 50 km also.

It hasn't done a regen yet, probably put on 300 km so far. The car seems normal, exhaust temp may be a little lower, but nothing else noticeable.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I had mine done last week, picked it up on Monday. Now my steering wheel is off center and the car pulls to the right. The engine light came on ofter 50 km also.

It hasn't done a regen yet, probably put on 300 km so far. The car seems normal, exhaust temp may be a little lower, but nothing else noticeable.

My car used to pull to the right hard. I feel like mine is more straight now. I'll really test it in the morning though to see if I'm just thinking it feels more straight or really is.

I had a regen tonight after about 60 miles worth of driving. I feel like I smell more of a burning smell when it's in regen mode.