TDI Block Heater

GeneralStark

TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Greetings All,

I have a 98' Jetta TDI that I want to put a block heater in. From what I've been reading on this site it sounds like the frost plug type will work in this car although the dealer told me there are issues with this type of heater with this engine. The dealer seems pretty clueless generally about TDI's though so I tend to take everything they say with a grain of salt.

So, what are others on this board doing for a block heater on this model/year TDI?

Matt

danski0224

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Wheat Beige
I had one put in at the dealer soon after I bought my 98 Jetta TDI.

It was around $350 installed, they claimed that some parts needed to be removed for access. It works fine, no leaks or other issues.

It was a VW part.

It helps the engine start easier and quieter, but it does not help much at all for cabin heat. I have never had a problem starting the car after sitting out all day unplugged here in the Chicago, Illinois area. I think the heater draws around 500 watts, so it isn't exactly free to plug in overnight.

kenny

TDI
Jetta, 1999 (A3) Silver
I have an early '99 A3 Jetta with VW block heater. It's great in terms of easing the starting load, especially below about -10F degrees. Since I use Delvac synthetic, I don't use it when above about 0 to 10F, since starting is pretty easy with the synthetic oil at or above these temps.