Alh 5th gear problem

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDi 2013, 6speed Highline. 2003 Jetta TDi station wagon, 5speed
Just got used transmission for 300 from car with 300k :)
Now just need to find a place to do swap .Thanks everyone for help and suggestions

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
lol im curious myself. Will take side cover off when get it swapped just to see what was happening there

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Did not want to mess with gear / hub/ syncro and trying to change it .I got another good 5 speed EBJ code transmission. Checked its tdi rating from 3 year older car with less milage

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
LoL dont dare to ask it this ended up being put together :)

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
It was thoroughly cleaned and reassembled with the updated 2nd gear syncro and Peloquin diff. Also swapped a few gears around with a parts gearbox.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Impressive. As much as i like wrenching around this wouldn't be on my project list :)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
It's getting cold so if you can live with it until spring then just do the transmission swap then, in your driveway.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point. Not sure if want to wait till spring with this swap .City driving its ok just hwy is bit of hassle. Will see maybe orginize some place to do it or get lucky with one warm day over the weekend

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Good point. Not sure if want to wait till spring with this swap .City driving its ok just hwy is bit of hassle. Will see maybe orginize some place to do it or get lucky with one warm day over the weekend

I would plan more than a day. $hit happens all the time when working on old cars.

Also, get your hands on a OE car jack from a first gen Dodge Neon. You will need it to push the engine away from the firewall to get the transmission in and out comfortably.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I remember, I have an old scissor jack that works beautifully for that. Jaca, if you are up against the wall for this, my garage is available...but, a week or two at most. My new Subaru doesn’t deserve to sit outside that much!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
No jack needed. I use an engine support bar (home made) from the lifting hook. Give the diff a slight lift up to clear the subframe and out. Most people get the pumpkin caught up on the subframe and jammed.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Not sure what the material is, but certainly felt more sticky playing with the engagement on bench. The ditched the grooved brass.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Craig thank you for offer . I would like to do it over one day .Is your offer still on? How about next weekend sounds? Will contact you on pm

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Got transmission swapped. Working great now .
If comes to old tranny .I opened side cover and no wear to 5th gears and synchro but looked like fork changing those was stuck . Did not open transmission any further but it was not problem with synchro mechanism as i suspected nor shift tower problem . More like something internal fail whats moving fork to engage 5th gear . Happy i changed whole transmission. Thank you everyone for help and suggestions

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Left it in the shop .Just kept new shift tower i replaced thinking thats the culprit