Limited Power of Attorney form w buyback docs ?

dgillilan

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI sold back to VW
I am a little unclear on the limited power of attorney form that is included in the buyback forms that must be brought to the buyback appt. The odometer disclosure statement is clear, the buyback checklist of what the TDI owner must bring is clear, but this limited power of attorney concerning the transfer of title? I have not seen this type of form previously.
Can someone explain a little more about this form? Does it simply empower VW corporate to transfer the title to them from the TDI owner? i have sold cars before and traded cars, but never remember this type of form.
Thank you, Debra

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I am a little unclear on the limited power of attorney form that is included in the buyback forms that must be brought to the buyback appt. The odometer disclosure statement is clear, the buyback checklist of what the TDI owner must bring is clear, but this limited power of attorney concerning the transfer of title? I have not seen this type of form previously.
Can someone explain a little more about this form? Does it simply empower VW corporate to transfer the title to them from the TDI owner? i have sold cars before and traded cars, but never remember this type of form.
Thank you, Debra
I recall signing something similar when I bought the Volvo. Mainly so that the dealer could do the paperwork with the DMV.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Does it simply empower VW corporate to transfer the title to them from the TDI owner?
Pretty much. When you buy a car from a dealer, one of the forms involved is often a power of attorney to allow them to register the car for you; this is along those lines.

dpospres

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite 6 speed manual (sold), 2012 Passat TDI SE Sunroof NAV, Night Blue Moonrock (bought back 12/13),2017 Audi A3 Quattro Prestige
Yes, it empowers VW to do what paperwork is necessary to transfer paperwork on the car. With 50 different states to deal with, there will be forms to fill out and they don't want to have to come back to you to have them filled out and signed.

dgillilan

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI sold back to VW
answered-thanks

Thank you for the replies from several folks, I appreciate your time in sending these, I see the need for this form a little more clearly, thank you,
Debra

Snowmobileaddict

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
Thank you for the replies from several folks, I appreciate your time in sending these, I see the need for this form a little more clearly, thank you,
Debra

This is pretty easy to explain.

If you are the only person listed on the title and on the registration document for the car and you will appear with the subject car for the buyback appointment, you do not need the power of attorney form.

On the other hand, if for example, you have a spouse or other party listed on both the vehicle title and registration documents and that spouse or other party cannot appear at the time of the buyback, you will need the power of attorney document executed.

The document allows for you to conduct the transaction with VW on behalf of the other person/s listed on the title & registration document.

In my situation, my title reads my name "and" (not "or") my spouses name. We will both appear in person with ID for our buyback appointment so we will not need the power of attorney document.

If you happen to have your vehicle titled and registered with your name followed by the word "or" and the other party's name, then its my understanding that the other party does not need to be present for the actual buyback, and you wouldn't need a power of attorney document either.

With that said, I'm not an attorney. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are the only person listed on the title and on the registration document for the car and you will appear with the subject car for the buyback appointment, you do not need the power of attorney form.
You're thinking of a different power of attorney form--the one that lets me take the car back, even though it's registered in my wife's name. That one, as you say, is optional, and is required only if the person taking the car back is not the person on the title, or if two people are on the title but only one will be present.

The POA Debra's talking about is required, and allows VW to handle necessary paperwork in your name, apply for sales tax refunds in those states that allow them, etc.

Snowmobileaddict

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
You're thinking of a different power of attorney form--the one that lets me take the car back, even though it's registered in my wife's name. That one, as you say, is optional, and is required only if the person taking the car back is not the person on the title, or if two people are on the title but only one will be present.

The POA Debra's talking about is required, and allows VW to handle necessary paperwork in your name, apply for sales tax refunds in those states that allow them, etc.
If anyone has a scan of this document. I'd like to be able to review one.

Snowmobileaddict

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
If anyone has a scan of this document. I'd like to be able to review one.
Never mind, I found a copy on this board.

Not sure why they need this form. It seems that once I sign the title with my spouse over the VW that's the end of it.

I suppose it has more to do with the recovery of sales tax that VW would be on the hook for as the buyer of the car. Maybe having the power of attorney executed would allow them to issue documentation on behalf of the owner of record that the purchase of the vehicle by VW for the purposes of the court ordered buyback is somehow exempting them from being on the hook for sales tax liabilities.

I mean come on, I've sold cars on craigslist before, a basic signed bill of sale and then sign the back of the title over with the current odometer miles is all you do in WI. Your signature attests that the odometer data is representative and accurate. There's no power of attorney needed for that that.

However, getting out of the sales tax, that's probably why they need it POA.

Last edited:

Buddenlee1

TDI
2014 beetle
Ok. My question is if my registration has "or" does that mean i can fill out the offer form without my husband. My 10th day will be this monday and he is a truck driver and will be gone for awhile. With the "or" on my registration doesnt that allow me to do everything? Vw credit holds the title

dgarciai

TDI
Golf
HELP!
I live in VA but left my TDI in CA because I was moving and didn't want to drag the car with me. Is it even possible for me to NOT GO to California to deal with this?

The car is at my parents house so I want them drop it off at the local dealer. The problem is that I just can't get a straight answer on what exactly I need to do step-by-step to make this happen.

I have the power of attorney form that I will complete here (notarize with my parents listed) but then there is a second form called the "California All-purpose acknowledgement" form. It is not clear to me what this is for or what it is supposed to do. Does my name go on it or do my parents deal with this in CA? DO I need it?

Also, do I need to worry about any of the other paperwork that will be done on the day of the buyback? Ie. limited power of attorney for title, odometer disclosure?

I called VW but it sounded like a teenager that had no clue.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
If you aren't having the POA notarized in CA (i.e., if you're not physically within the borders of CA when you have it notarized), you don't need that acknowledgement form. It's needed if the POA (or the offer letter) is notarized inside CA, because VW's lawyers were stupid and couldn't include the appropriate language in the documents themselves.

Your parents can sign the odometer disclosure, but I'd probably sign the POA for title and send it to them.