What did you do to your car today?

gallaj01

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS, 2001 Jetta TDI GLS, 2017 Golf AllTrack
Enabled "unlock all door when key removed from ignition" on my 02 wagon with VAG-COM today. Why didn't I do this sooner?

Now if I could just get my hands on VDS-Pro to perform CCM mod on my MKIV wagon to unlock rear hatch when unlocking doors.

Last edited:

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Now if I could just get my hands on VDS-Pro to perform CCM mod on my MKIV wagon to unlock rear hatch when unlocking doors.
There's a DIY about tapping together a couple wires in the door, so when the door unlocks, it sends a signal to the hatch release in the door pocket. Not as OEM as the other and it will still re-lock if not opened, but something that only takes a few basic tools, wire and a piggyback crimp connector.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Out of the garage, and to Stillwater

Filled the tank, and had a nice ride to Stillwater. Took Mom back to her home.

Lie-o-meter said 51 MPG

jwpatches

TDI
03, Golf
260k miles on my 03 Golf and am suffering with the limp mode. Today, it was already up on Jack stands in my heated garage. Since I've never worked in this FRI myself i went through the learning curve of removing the intake and turbo. Went smoothly except for one rounded out socket head bolt on the EGR cooler.
Will be disassembling the turbo tomorrow and deciding if I need to replace it. I can already feel a bit of play in the shaft. How much is acceptable?
The actuator is difficult to move by hand. So I suspect things are really sooted up in there. I had to have the intake cleaned a couple of years ago. That doesn't look too bad now, but will clean again while it's off.
I've seen the complaint that an EGR delete delays the cabin heater warming up. True?
Looking forward to some answers if this gets dead.
I'll also go ahead and replace vacuum lines as recommended by many posts here.

Last edited:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Drove my 04 TDI (little red wagon) across town to watch while I had the 06 TDI AKA: "the company car" towed to the dealer to have them deal with the "no start, no click, no nothing" when you turned the key problem. If someone hadn't forced me to specify a DSG in that car, I would have simply push started it, and saved the towing fees to tow it a mile to the dealer! (and numerous DSG services at $400 each). 105k and it needed a new starter? 220k on the little red wagon and 160k on the wife's MkV and neither of them have needed a new starter.

On the fun side, I did get to figure out how to remove the front lower bumper grills to use the MkV tow hooks, and figured out where the last guy who rotated the tires left the wheel lock key. (Hint: It WASN'T in the tool kit where it SHOULD be kept!)

I was rather surprised that the tow truck driver didn't realize you'd have to take the grills off to use the tow hooks. He thought they might attach under the headlight washer blanks. He was, however, familiar with the reverse threading that German car's use on the tow hooks, hence the arrow pointing backwards around the shaft. Apparently, he tows enough Porsches to be familiar with them...

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
A couple months ago, I noticed that I had a cracked CV boot on one of my axles (Raxles) that I bought in 2013 and finally installed in 2016. I called up Marty (who was prepping for Hurricane Irma at the time), he said "Send them back and we'll take care of it". So I swapped in one of my OEM axles, shipped the Raxle back to Marty, he turned it around the same day back out to me and I had it back in less than a week. I paid shipping both ways.

I finally got around to putting the repaired axle in this past weekend and was pleasantly surprised when I pulled it out of the box. Both boots were new as well as both "ends" of the axle assembly - the part that bolts to the transmission and to the spindle were both new. I think the only part re-used was the tube itself.

Pretty great customer service in my opinion!

Thanks Marty!

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Enabled "unlock all door when key removed from ignition" on my 02 wagon with VAG-COM today. Why didn't I do this sooner?

You have PM, sir.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of the garage to Stillwater. Missed Mom on Turkey day.

Was over that direction yesterday, (missed her again) and had a disappointing 47.9 MPG results.

Too darn much garage for the ol' girl?

Trip over yesterday plus a little heavy foot today turned in a better 50.1 MPG

.... still disappointing :mad:

... one really strange wind situation. Very windy -- sometimes knocking the car right, left, every which way. And very loud

... Then as soon as I got to mid-Tulsa SILENCE

.... one good issue to add. Steaming along at 'bout 70, -- traffic light coming over a rise, there was a 3/4 inch slab of ply wood. NAILS a snining

.... One hard right yank, then one hard left yank. No problem mate. :)

Last edited:

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Cut out the rusty front 3" of rocker panels, welded in new metal and bonded in frt caps. Primed, rocker schmutzed, primed again, painted, cleared.
Gawd, I hate bodywork. Hopefully this lasts until the car wears out.

MitchellGr33n

TDI
PGM 2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5mt
About to remove the foam chunks from inside the front fenders of my mk4 TDI before my Jetta's first winter in the northeast so that the fender flares won't rust through.

LegalRod

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, vented, Frank06 head
Installed Darkside Development Turbo Feed Line

After a Cylinder Head replacement the Turbo line was leaking and it is a PITA to tighten properly after everything else is on. So I opted to get a Braided Turbo Feed line from DarkSide Development. The installation is much easier than the OEM like without risk of braking it. The hardest part is the R&R of the EGR Valve so that could tell you how simple it is. The Turbo side of the line is a Banjo Bolt with a 14mm head, much easier than the nut on the original line.

I ordered the line on Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday all the way from England. Ryan is great to deal with and I highly recommend doing bussiness with him.

LegalRod

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, vented, Frank06 head
Broken Timing Belt

A couple of months ago I ordered a Timing Belt Kit from ID Parts and was ready to install it and then something came up and I said, OK I will do it next Saturday. I had been driving this 2003 Jetta with 36K I just got for a few weeks without any problems, when the timing belt broke the Friday before I was about to change it.

Long story short, I sent the Cylinder Head to Frank06 to get it back to normal and after a few weeks got it back looking like new. Installed it pretty easily after Frank gave me a bunch of tips over the phone ( He is awesome) and the only thing I have to say is that after the scary fist start (dry lifters sound like something was left in the engine) the car runs like a charm. A turbo line leak is the only thing I had to address after the install. :cool:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
100% agree with LegalRod both RyanP and Frank06 are fantastic and I wish I had more business to do with both.

Dude5724

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Picked up our 2006 yesterday night. Going over some things to find the boost leak. Will be replacing intercooler piping as well as vacuum lines soon. Next will come oil change, fuel filter change and anything else i find.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Transferred $$$$ to the wife's account so she could drop off her MkV, and pickup my MkIV. At 223k MkIV just got a new heater core and new evaporator. It needed the evaporator more than the heater core. Last week it was still in the low to mid 80's outside, and the wife was not too enthused about using this vehicle for a road trip this week to go to a funeral without having a working A/C system.

Problem solved: high today was 64°, and the car has new parts so the heat and cool systems both work again.

Having been into the depths of my dash before, I offered to meet the mechanic half way and disassemble the dash for him so it was easy to get to the ventilation box. He countered with an offer to recharge the system, if I installed all the parts. This past weekend's schedule didn't have time for that...

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Saturday I replaced my fuel filter, thermostatic T, return fuel lines between injectors and the factory fuel lines with 8mm rubber braided hose.

I also repaired the blend door due to Luke warm heat. It gets uncomfortably warm now!

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Finally put snow tires on, looks like it's time for new rear rotors in the spring

Summer tires are getting pretty worn and weather checked as well. Michelin's seem to do that more than other brands I've noticed. The fronts took quite a hit in wear this year - might have some thing to do with that 2nd turbo that went on last fall :).

Probably the last year for the snow tires as well - With needing two sets of tires and brakes in the same year, I should probably decide if I want to keep the car or not, though I don't know what I'd replace it with...

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Probably the last year for the snow tires as well - With needing two sets of tires and brakes in the same year, I should probably decide if I want to keep the car or not, though I don't know what I'd replace it with...
Don't think like that.
Doesn't matter what you have - it WILL need tires, it WILL need brakes.
Repairs, those I calculate in the 'is this worth it?' column. Tires and brakes are maintenance - only way to not need to buy them is to take the bus / Uber / etc. everywhere, and just not have a car.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't think like that.
Doesn't matter what you have - it WILL need tires, it WILL need brakes.
Repairs, those I calculate in the 'is this worth it?' column. Tires and brakes are maintenance - only way to not need to buy them is to take the bus / Uber / etc. everywhere, and just not have a car.
... at some point every car becomes a money pit

... trick is to correctly call it before the fact

... in the case of this OPs car -- have no idea :p

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
We're way past all that - I was mostly kidding with my "decide if I want to keep it or not" comment. That decision should have been made 6 years and $20k ago :)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=338260

All things considered, it doesn't owe me anything given all I've asked (and received) of it over the last 12 years, $80k and 250k miles. Currently at $0.315/mile all costs included and it's never left me stranded that I can remember.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm impressed you know what it's cost you. I just put a battery in my Wagon, it'll need new all-seasons in the Spring. Bought snows last year. No question that I'll keep driving it. We just did the 350K mile maintenance on my son's Golf night before last. He needs a battery, too. And this is the last season for his snows. But we probably have about $3K in that car including purchase and maintenance/repairs, and he's driven it nearly 100K miles in the last three years. Tell me that's not a bargain.