Emissions Modification - Should I Do It?

Richdaddye

TDI
2009 Jettawagon TDI
I got a letter from Volkswagen telling me there was a modification approved by the California EPA. I set up an appointment with Volkswagen to come in and have the modification done today and they had me get on the line with someone from Volkswagen who informed me if I did the modification I waive the rights for the buyback.

The letter I got from Volkswagen didn't mention this fact and only hinted about the possible warranty extension. The gentleman behind the counter at the service department said he thinks it was a six year 120,000 mile powertrain warranty.

The problem is I really like my TDI but haven't decided what to do with the vehicle. If I get the modification done would it increase the resale value of the vehicle? Should I get the modification done?

If I do get the modification done they offered me $5,100 as the cash settlement. I think I'm going to take the money and warrenty and run. Then sale it on the market if I want to later.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The extended warranty is not the drivetrain but the emissions equipment/sensors and the engine itself along with some other things like the HPFP etc. It is 162k miles /11 years. I doubt it will increase the value over what VW is paying now in the buyback. Some have done the buyback and purchased a new left over 2015 tdi. This is the path I would take if I wanted to keep a tdi (I bought a 2015 new left over Beetle). The cars are getting scarce now though.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The letter I got from Volkswagen didn't mention this fact
The offer letter you got from VW most certainly did. You have two options, and you can choose one or the other--you don't get both. And that's set out in the offer letter. If you take the fix, you're stuck with that--the only way you can then sell the car back is under a lemon law-like provision where there's a confirmed mechanical problem that they can't fix after a certain number of attempts within the first year (or maybe 18 months) after you get the fix done.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The "fix" warranty is for either 120K miles/10 years from date of purchase or 48k miles/4 years from date of fix with DSG, whichever is greater. I make the assumption that your 8 (almost 9) year old JSW is over 120k miles, so you'd qualify for the 48k/4 years emission warranty extension and put $5100 in your pocket. Reports of performance after the fix vary. Some say no difference. Some say a complete loss of the fun factor. Others are in-between. EPA says you will probably see a couple of mpg loss.

For me, it's a choice of get the fix, pocket the $5100, and drive on, or turn the car in and have $14k to put towards an new (er) car. We've opted for the fix.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I had the fix done. Glad I did. Mine is an 09 manual transmission with 276000 miles so I got $5100 plus 54,000 miles or 54 months warranty. I love my TDI SportWagen too much to part with it and plan to drive it another 250,000 miles. Nothing else out there meets my needs like this car.

Here’s my post-fix initial impressions: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5321952&postcount=47

Kubachesky

TDI
2015 Sportwagen MT
What to expect after the modification

2015 Sportwagen. Just wanted to let you know my opinion of this first update.
Not sure if my experience will translate to DSG owners though.

On the plus side:

The rubber band effect is gone. There used to be a terrible lag and then a surge of power around 1450 RPM. That is gone. Power delivery is much smoother. It's also feels like it spins more freely. The experience itself is now closer to that of the TSI. Fuel economy feels unchanged but I don't have enough data to support that yet. Engine note and noise has not changed but I did notice the fan staying on more often after turning the vehicle off.

On the down side:

The power band has most definitely moved north. This car used to live between 1500-2000 RPM. Low down "dirty" torque is why you buy a diesel. That characteristic is gone. While it has been smoothed out the power doesn't make itself known now until 2000 RPM. And passing ability has also been diminished. This will require more gear changes which I believe will result in higher overall fuel consumption.

That's about it for now. I'll let you know in a month what happened with the fuel economy.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
2015 Golf , DSG - I got it within 2 weeks of it being announced. it likes shifting "sooner" in D, the new "S" pattern is very similar to the old D. MPG essentially unchanged - as we've put more miles (especially highway), the car keeps getting broken in better and it gets better MPG. I would do it again and don't understand why anyone with a 2015 would even consider buyback .

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
Fantastic!

I had the fix done. Glad I did. Mine is an 09 manual transmission with 276000 miles so I got $5100 plus 54,000 miles or 54 months warranty. I love my TDI SportWagen too much to part with it and plan to drive it another 250,000 miles. Nothing else out there meets my needs like this car.

Here’s my post-fix initial impressions: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5321952&postcount=47
This is just plain friggen awesome! Keep driving that thing. :eek:

hefberry

TDI
2013 Sportwagon Jetta
Help I need advice. Modify or Buyback

I am so glad I found this forum. Thank you all for your input. First and foremost I love my 2013 SW Jetta. I have taken great care and love how zippy and fun it is. I bought this car because it was a TDI and how easy it is to maneuver around.

While the buyback is tempting I cannot find a car I love as much as this without paying more. I got my VW on a 0% loan and have it almost paid off.

This is an unheard of offer and I want to make sure I am ruling with common sense and not emotion. I have less than 40k on this car and I was going to get a back up camera with sensors plus XEON or LED lights (TBD). OR I was going to take the money and run and by a Forester or something..........

Help. I need you guys to give me the skinny on the TDI modification. Also, once it is done is there anything I can put back on the car to get it more pep like a Smarty.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The "fix" warranty is for either 120K miles/10 years from date of purchase or 48k miles/4 years from date of fix with DSG, whichever is greater. I make the assumption that your 8 (almost 9) year old JSW is over 120k miles, so you'd qualify for the 48k/4 years emission warranty extension and put $5100 in your pocket. Reports of performance after the fix vary. Some say no difference. Some say a complete loss of the fun factor. Others are in-between. EPA says you will probably see a couple of mpg loss.

For me, it's a choice of get the fix, pocket the $5100, and drive on, or turn the car in and have $14k to put towards an new (er) car. We've opted for the fix.
You know what they say, the more things stay the same, the more they change. My mom's boyfriend passed away last week leaving her with two cars. My daughter had commented on how she would like the Ford Escape when grandma was done with it. Now it's hers but she says they can't afford it. So we're discussing a complete car basket upset. My wife will start driving the 03 Passat. My daughter will take the Escape. I'll do the buyback on the JSW and trade in my canyon toward a RAM 1500 ecodiesel. I get to stay in the diesel family and take a giant leap up in vehicle. Or, we do the buyback and my wife starts driving the Escape and we bank the money.

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
Did anyone else have a dealership want to charge them to do the recall modifications?
Once done what happens then? I have a gen 1 and did the repair option paperwork months befo re the modification was approved. Local dieselgate person at the local dealership seems to be useful if you are selling the car back to them.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Selling back my '15 with 70K on it, buying a 15 with 20K on it for half that, taking the difference and buying my wife an outback.,

Go on take the money and run........

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Did anyone else have a dealership want to charge them to do the recall modifications?
No, that's not how recalls work. Recalls, by definition, are no-cost to the end user (you).

If they are trying to charge you something then either (A) Someone - either you, or the dealer, doesn't know what they are dealing with or is not explaining something properly or is not understanding something properly, or (B) What they are actually trying to charge you for, is work that is technically not the recall modification itself, but underlying work that has to be done in order to facilitate it. For example, if your car has a problem with the DPF, VW is going to want you to replace it, and (rightly or wrongly) pay for it, prior to getting the recall modifications done.

Once done what happens then? I have a gen 1 and did the repair option paperwork months befo re the modification was approved. Local dieselgate person at the local dealership seems to be useful if you are selling the car back to them.
So you've filed for having the fix done, but you haven't actually had it done yet?

It's impossible for the fix to actually have been done more than a couple of months ago.

Explain your situation ... clearly.

Talon

TDI
Ok to clarify. Filed the modification paperwork months go. Recieved the offer letter sting I make an appointment. At that time the modifications were not approved. I received notice that the emission modification was approved by the EPA. I waited a bit to make an appointment to get it done. Went to the vw site, that site redirected me to my local dealer website to schedule the recall modifications. Once there the site offered various repairs, one is listed as "emission recall $60". I tried another option searching for the recalls by the recall #. No joy. Then tried another tab allowing the entry of the vin # did so and was informed there are no recalls open on my car. I called person at another location of the same dealership after being informed she was the contact for all things dieselgate related. After speaking to her she was all over the selling back to VW. Spoke to the settlement hotline and they said there should be no charge for The recall work and if they barged me I should call them back which is stupid since it took 25 minutes of hold and elevator music to get to a warm body.
This I ought I'd k about e charge and what is to happen afterwords so I get the money from VW as promised.
Talon

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Call a different dealer
It should be easy.
1) call the dealer and ask for the vw service advisor
2) tell them you want the epa Emissions recall
3) give them your vin
4) they will order the parts for your vin and tell you when you can come for the work
5) show up (with no check engine light on)
6) get your loaner car
7) come back when it’s done (same or next day usually)
8) get your paperwork with the new epa mileage estimates and a sticker on the inside of your hood showing the repair was done.
9) watch your email for electronic funds message or your mailbox for a check depending on which option you chose when you filed paperwork originally.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok to clarify. Filed the modification paperwork months go. Recieved the offer letter sting I make an appointment. At that time the modifications were not approved. I received notice that the emission modification was approved by the EPA. I waited a bit to make an appointment to get it done. Went to the vw site, that site redirected me to my local dealer website to schedule the recall modifications. Once there the site offered various repairs, one is listed as "emission recall $60". I tried another option searching for the recalls by the recall #. No joy. Then tried another tab allowing the entry of the vin # did so and was informed there are no recalls open on my car. I called person at another location of the same dealership after being informed she was the contact for all things dieselgate related. After speaking to her she was all over the selling back to VW. Spoke to the settlement hotline and they said there should be no charge for The recall work and if they barged me I should call them back which is stupid since it took 25 minutes of hold and elevator music to get to a warm body.
This I ought I'd k about e charge and what is to happen afterwords so I get the money from VW as promised.
Talon
Part of the problem might be in communication. This is not a traditional recall. The is an emissions fix/update forced by the EPA/CARB. Call the dealer to schedule, don't try to set it up on line.

The dealer is spending too much time in the shop sniffing exhaust fumes. There is never a charge for a recall. As GoFaster mentioned, there might be charges for other work to make the recall do what it is supposed to. For instance, If I'm keeping my car, I considering having them do the 120k service while it's already in the shop.

Talon

TDI
Thanks. After multiple calls they discovered that the tab for the emission modification was mistakenly listed as a charge service the service department was unaware of. I only looked for it because someone else mentioned they experienced the attempted charge when the modification work was done.
Talon

Big R

TDI
2015 Audi A3, 2015 Audi Q5
Part of the problem might be in communication. This is not a traditional recall. The is an emissions fix/update forced by the EPA/CARB. Call the dealer to schedule, don't try to set it up on line.

The dealer is spending too much time in the shop sniffing exhaust fumes. There is never a charge for a recall. As GoFaster mentioned, there might be charges for other work to make the recall do what it is supposed to. For instance, If I'm keeping my car, I considering having them do the 120k service while it's already in the shop.
I don't believe there is an "emissions fix/update forced by the EPA/CARB." Nothing is being forced on 2.0 liter owners. If I'm not mistaken, he/she can keep the car and enjoy it as is. For the settlement payout, however...one would need to accept the offered modification.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Technically, you're right. As owners we still have the choice of doing something to the cars or getting nothing. The fix was forced (agreed upon) due to VWs software cheats to bring the fixed cars closer to the compliance regulations they were sold under.

Doughglass

TDI
14 sportwagen 6speed, 03 wagen 5speed, 00 new beetle 5speed
I did the modification on my 14 sportwagen 6speed and have noticed a two mpg decrease in economy. I tend to drive with a lead foot and now the peddle actually hits the floor when accelerating to achieve the acceleration that I have been used to without hitting the floor before the mod. Still could not replace the package for the money vw offered for the buyback. I’m glad I kept the car!