'06 Jetta BRM Engine - Loud Engine & Power Loss

John5grana

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hey everyone,

I have an '06 Jetta TDi with 200,000 miles. Last summer I swapped out the DMF because the engine was noisy and my neighbor who is a German Vehicle mechanic thought it was the DMF. Turns out my DMF was tighter than the new one!! Swapped it out and still have a noisy (clanking engine). I also noticed that the Jetta does not have the power it used to have. When merging on to parkway she smokes and is slow.

I put in a new EGR because the old one was gunked up and I was getting a CEL with code for EGR.

Before I tear in to the Turbo, any idea what the clanking noise might be? I'm going to upload a video when I get home to give you an idea of the noise.

I also just got the HEX-V2 and plan on testing it tonight, any tests in particular you would recommend?

Just looking for some suggestions and I'll have more details within the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance.

John

John5grana

TDI
2006 Jetta
I thought about the camshaft, just don't know enough about these engines to determine what kinda of noise it would make.

I'm going to do some research on replacing the camshaft.

I really want to keep the Jetta, it's in great condition and has not let me down. I have an 08 Rabbit and a 99.5 Cabrio along with 3 Rovers and the Jetta is my favorite...

Thanks guys!!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Could be a boost leak. Look for oil on the boost hoses. One may be loose/disconnected or split. The one that comes out of the intercooler on the driver's side is a common failure item.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
200k is about the (usable) lifespan of the BRM camshaft...I ran good oil since mine was new and still had severely dished out lifters and holes in a few, the camshaft had very sharp edges. If you get a new one, I got like from Frank06 and have nothing but good things to say about it. Regardless, I’d look into checking the wear on the cam and lifters. Also, have you ever ran diesel purge through it? Mine is coming up on 200k and I’m gonna give it it’s first treatment this spring.

John5grana

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks Indigo and Dalon,

I'll check hoses. No, never ran a diesel purge. Thanks for the tip on Frank06, I'll do some research and get one from him (if I need it).

I had the chance to run a quick diag and pull any fault codes: I got a 008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1).

I'm going to do some research and start checking hoses this spring.

I'm sure I should replace the timing belt since I've owned the Jetta since 80k miles and never had it done.

Thanks again guys!

Indigo, I just realized I bought the DMF from you guys! Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
Thanks Indigo and Dalon,

I'll check hoses. No, never ran a diesel purge. Thanks for the tip on Frank06, I'll do some research and get one from him (if I need it).

I had the chance to run a quick diag and pull any fault codes: I got a 008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1).

I'm going to do some research and start checking hoses this spring.

I'm sure I should replace the timing belt since I've owned the Jetta since 80k miles and never had it done.

Thanks again guys!

Indigo, I just realized I bought the DMF from you guys! Thanks!!!!
WOAH WOAH Wait! Assuming it was done at 80k, you’re 40000 miles overdue for timing belt and all related services. When was the DSG last flushed? I’d go ahead and do all the basics then honestly, timing belt, all new filters, and oil and DSG change.

John5grana

TDI
2006 Jetta
WOAH WOAH Wait! Assuming it was done at 80k, you’re 40000 miles overdue for timing belt and all related services. When was the DSG last flushed? I’d go ahead and do all the basics then honestly, timing belt, all new filters, and oil and DSG change.
Dealer said DSG fluid does not need to be changed..... j/k

I had it changed at the dealer when I bought the car and did it again when I replaced DMF (around 175k).

Filters have been done. I will do the timing belt this spring. The car does not get much use now that we have more cars than we need (girls have moved out). Plus I commute to work on a motorcycle all year round so the Jetta gets used 1 a month.

Thanks again!

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Do you have a manual or DSG (auto) gearbox? The manual gearbox oil should be changed every 100K, VW probably says it is a lifetime oil.
The DSG oil should be changed every 40K along with the DSG filter (this is shown in the maintenance schedule).

Both the manual and DSG gearboxes use a DMF.