Motor still running after ignition was turned off !!!

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
I was experiencing something weird today , this is a new 2010 jetta tdi and today when i got back home i hear a louder than regular noise coming from the engine sounds like a fan..anyways i parked the car shut the motor off and something was still running not sure if that was the motor a fan..i cranked the car back on step on the accelerator engine seems fine shut the car off again and still sounds like something is still on .....then i start the car up again let it idle for 20 seconds then shut the car off..
now the sound is gone...what the heck is going on..I still owe someone to the dealership i was thinking of getting my money back and buying something else.
I hope this is not a start of something..any ideas..thanks

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the reply ..what is a dpf regen....i started the car twice with this on..would this affect the car in anyway...i hear so much techinical stuff with these vw tdi....i love the car ..but honda has never given me any concerns..thanks

rock88

Veteran Member
TDI
if i let the car run it would shut off by itself...it was very loud.....no use to it yet i guess.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The engine computer adds extra fuel during driving to heat up the exhaust components to burn off the soot. If you shut it down in the middle of this or immediately afterwards, the exhaust is VERY hot.

So it runs the fan to cool it and prevent any problems from the heat.

You will not harm it restarting in the middle of this. In fact quite a few folks, if they have time, will go for a 15 minute highway drive if they have the free time, when they hear this. Just so it burns off good, and cools down good.

But you do not have to. You ought to read the part of your manual on regens, though.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Our 2010 has done this about 3 times now since last November. Its the diesel particulate filter burning crud in it. You may notice a stink as well. It's the only stink you'll notice on this car.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Yep, it's completely normal. My mom just picked me up from a friends house today, and she was worried (fans were on full blast when she shut the engine off). I told her it was our first DPF regen. (that we noticed) and said it was normal.
And for anyone who has doubts, the fans do indeed shut off automatically. :)

Last edited: