2006 Jetta tdi 1.9l exhaust system malfunction warning light

kcjettaman

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey TDI guys, I've been leaking engine coolant and I'm sure now it is an internal leak into a combustion chamber due to the warning light. Has anyone ever tackled resolving this kind of issue?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Search the forum. All sorts of answers are already here. It sounds to me likely to be a cylinder head gasket. Did you ever overheat the car? This is not a common problem with a BRM unless overheated.

kcjettaman

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the reply, no, I haven't had it overheat before. I've been looking and found something about the possibility of a leak in the egr area that would also end up going out the exhaust. The car is still running perfect otherwise. No coolant in the oil thankfully. I've read that that is the truly nasty internal leak to have.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
You did not mention having investigated the warning light sufficiently to have an engine code. Get your VCDS out and see what the engine is telling you.

Having recently done major engine surgery and having fresh recollections of the systems, I have thought about this and have some conclusions. In my opinion, to have coolant get into the intake or exhaust system from the EGR such that it would get into either the intake or exhaust would require a leak internal to the cooler itself, which is made of stainless steel. As far as I am aware, these coolers do not corrode such as to leak coolant into the exhaust gas chamber.

It is quite possible however, that the observed symptoms are actually unrelated, rather, simply coincidental. I suggest your examining the heater core hoses, as it is common for them to degrade and spring leaks due to engine oil getting on them from the charge air system or turbo leaking small amounts.

The simplest answer is probably the correct one.